hide unwanted 3rd party ofx?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Leslie Wand

hide unwanted 3rd party ofx?

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 7:48 am

i have both boris and sapphire ofx collections. whilst i did use them heavily in the past, i now no longer use the vast majority of them. however, i would like to keep a number of them available whilst 'hiding' those i don't require from the list of fx available in resolve.

is this possible, or do i have to continue scrolling through seemingly endless lists of fx ;-( ?

tia
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Jim Simon

Re: hide unwanted 3rd party ofx?

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 1:36 pm

I'm not aware of any way to hide individual effects from the list. Best you might do is Search for the one you want to find it easier. (That's what I do even without any plug-ins added.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andy Mees

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 1:51 pm

You certainly can hide the vast majority of them Leslie ... well, kinda sort of.
Mark those that you use regularly as Favourites, then if you switch your OFX Library view to 'Favourites' (instead of the default 'Show All') then it'll list only those that are marked as such.
That's how it works in the Color page at least.
Last edited by Andy Mees on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Jim Simon

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 1:55 pm

How do you switch the view, Andy?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Andy Mees

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 1:57 pm

Jim Simon wrote:How do you switch the view, Andy?

Hey Jim... I was just editing the post to note that this was for the Color page ... the three little dots at the top right of the Library tab in the OpenFX pane.
In the Edit page it permalists Favourites in the bottom left quadrant of the Effect Library pane.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Jim Simon

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 2:02 pm

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Andy Mees

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 2:20 pm

Yep, how Effects Favorites are displayed is more than a little inconsistent between pages:
in the Cut page, Favorites have their own a separate tab (that ought to also be search filterable but isn't)
in the Color page, Favourites are accessed via a context menu in the Library tab (and these can be further search filtered)
in the Edit and Fairlight pages, Favorites are only visible in their own fixed list below the categories lists, assuming those category lists are displayed (and these also can't be search filtered)
and in the Fusion page, Favorites haven't been implemented at all

RikshaDriver

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 3:20 pm

You can disable OpenFX plugins under preferences.
GitHub Projects: https://github.com/xtremestuff/
Commercial Plugins: https://xtremestuff.net/store/

Andy Mees

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 4:11 pm

That's an excellent method for disabling entire plugin bundles Asim, but I think Leslie is looking for suggestions on how to hide just selected individual plugins within a bundle.

Leslie Wand

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 3:57 am

thanks guys (seems we're mostly males hereabouts, though i have worked with some pretty incredible female editors in the past - though not many*).

andy was correct, just want to hide some ofx, not all, from boris / sapphire.

it looks like favourites is the way to go.

again, thanks

* as an aside - is editing a 'blokey' thing, you know, buttons, dials, scopes, etc., etc.,? i know / have known quite a few female book and picture editors.
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Jim Simon

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 3:08 pm

Many would say George Lucas' wife Marcia is the reason Star Wars became such a cultural phenomenon.

She won the Oscar for Best Editing.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 2:42 am

Jim Simon wrote:Many would say George Lucas' wife Marcia is the reason Star Wars became such a cultural phenomenon. She won the Oscar for Best Editing.

Not exactly true. She made key suggestions at critical moments, but the vast majority of the work was all George. I worked for him for almost four months and Lucas is the most hyper-focused of any director I've ever seen on editing and timing -- he knows that process backwards, forwards, and sideways. Read Paul Hirsch's recent book A Long Time Ago in a Cutting Room Far, Far Away, which tells the real story of how Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back were edited. Hirsch did the vast majority of the editing on both pictures, and Lucas literally said to him at the premiere, "thank you for saving my movie."

As to OFX: I have everything clogging my Resolve station, and we invested in BorisFX, Sapphire, Neat Video, Scatter, Filmbox, Ignite, the works. (Basically everything except New Blue, which always seemed too buggy to me.) I figure out which ones I use the most, make them favorites, and kind of ignore everything else. I've been using ResolveFX ContrastPop a lot more often lately, and it's basically Midtone on steroids: lots of interesting controls in there. Plug-Ins make a huge difference, particularly when you want a strikingly different look, or you're trying to help an actor look a little more glamorous, or when you're desperately trying to salvage some ugly footage. I keep 2 nodes open for OFX all the time in my node tree, and while they stay empty most of the time, sometimes they wind up being extremely necessary.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 2:56 pm

Thanks for the tip, Marc. Have to check out that book.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve