Clips Randomly Disappearing from the timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DrakeSoft

Clips Randomly Disappearing from the timeline

PostFri May 07, 2021 6:48 pm

Hi,
I have been using Davinci Resolve for a few months, but I noticed after editing some projects that some clips just randomly disappear from the timeline. At first, I thought I was just imagining it or that I was inadvertently hitting a key, but tonight it happened again. I opened a project I was editing last night and found some clips missing. I then checked my timeline against the output render I created the previous evening and found at least five clips had disappeared in random locations.
To my knowledge, this is the third time I have experienced this now. I feel a little embarrassed even asking this, but has anyone else experienced this, or is there a history or log I can check to make sure I am not going crazy?

Regards
Drake.

beachboybry

Re: Clips Randomly Disappearing from the timeline

PostFri May 07, 2021 7:05 pm

DrakeSoft wrote:Hi,
I have been using Davinci Resolve for a few months, but I noticed after editing some projects that some clips just randomly disappear from the timeline. At first, I thought I was just imagining it or that I was inadvertently hitting a key, but tonight it happened again. I opened a project I was editing last night and found some clips missing. I then checked my timeline against the output render I created the previous evening and found at least five clips had disappeared in random locations.
To my knowledge, this is the third time I have experienced this now. I feel a little embarrassed even asking this, but has anyone else experienced this, or is there a history or log I can check to make sure I am not going crazy?

Regards
Drake.

Hey Drake!

I too had this happen recently. I had rendered out a cut and after I restarted the last 5 video clips on Track 1 were gone but their audio files (that were linked) were still there.

Mike Warren

PostFri May 07, 2021 9:23 pm

I've seen this happen too.

Currently, I'm doing my projects in Premiere until Resolve becomes more stable. Too many show-stopping bugs.

I didn't want to downgrade Resolve because I want to keep playing with the latest versions and it's difficult to get more than one version of Resolve on a computer.
Resolve Studio 17.2.2 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 32GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

DrakeSoft

PostSun May 09, 2021 12:11 pm

Thanks for your replies guys. At least now I know I am not imagining it. I love Resolve and have been flirting with the idea of buying the full version but I do feel it is not quite at the standard of reliability one would expect from software that one would be potentially committing hours of work to.
It is feature-rich and very flexible but it does seem a little unpredictable at times and I hate the way it often silently refuses to do something without telling you why.

DrakeSoft

PostThu May 13, 2021 6:38 pm

I had it happen again tonight. I was editing a clip and because I am now paranoid about video clips just disappearing I locked the video track whenever I just want to edit audio. I have video and audio recorded together, and I then added a soundtrack. If I do not lock the video track then as I edit the soundtrack video clips just disappear. It always starts with one particular video clip, but it does this silently so you do not notice they are gone until you finish the edit. I then Ctrl Z to recover the video track but that means losing all my audio edits. I do not have the video track selected when I edit the audio and there should be no association between the video and soundtrack, so I am puzzled why the video disappears.
For now, I just continually lock and unlock the video track; it seems to be the only way to prevent video clips from randomly disappearing.
I am glad I did not shell out a few hundred euros for the full version.

Charles Lyons

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 7:17 am

This happened to me just a couple days ago: I loaded a timeline I had been working on a few days previously and discovered that all the video files were missing from a section a couple minutes long - clips I had just recently spent a lot of time painstakingly color grading. Needless to say this was extremely worrisome. I export my project daily as a backup and went through my backups to figure out where the clips had gone missing and discovered that they were still present in the backup export from the night before. But I had not done anything to that timeline on the day I found the clips missing, so it wasn't user error. Resolve just randomly deleted a bunch of video clips from a timeline I didn't even have loaded. I'm lucky I had a backup.
Resolve Studio 16.2.8, trying 17.1.1
iMac Pro 10-core 3.0 GHz Xeon
64GB RAM / Vega 64 GPU w 16GB VRAM / 2TB SSD
Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95)

Charles Lyons

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 7:19 am

Make sure when you're doing edits on just picture or just sound that you have "Linked Selection" turned off and/or that you have all the tracks on the side you're not working on locked. In my case I wasn't even doing anything to the timeline in question, though.
Resolve Studio 16.2.8, trying 17.1.1
iMac Pro 10-core 3.0 GHz Xeon
64GB RAM / Vega 64 GPU w 16GB VRAM / 2TB SSD
Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 pm

If u have some way to repo this and ideally can share a drp and phone video showing the workflow we can investigate further.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve