How to find blank spaces on timeline?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

steve_martin_usa

How to find blank spaces on timeline?

PostThu May 27, 2021 11:10 pm

I have a lot of clips on a timeline that are matched to the beat of the music, so I don't want an automatic delete of the gaps. Is there a way to find them so I can deal with each of them individually?
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.2

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel (CC715-71)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design

Marc Wielage

Re: How to find blank spaces on timeline?

PostFri May 28, 2021 1:16 am

Well... unless I misunderstand the question... you could just use down-arrow (or the next clip button on a panel) to go to the next clip, then manually select the gap. Is that what you mean?

If you want to delete the unused portion of the clip, you could try Timeline -> Cleanup Video Tracks -> Flatten Unused Clips and see if that does what you want. Just in case, make a copy of the timeline and make the change on the copy.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Cave

PostFri May 28, 2021 1:54 am

It is in the user manual if you search for "gap".

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 11.52.39 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 11.52.39 am.png (506.16 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Resolve 16.2.6 AND Resolve 17.2.2
Mac OSX 10.14.6, Hackintosh i7 8700 32GB RAM, Radeon RX 580 8GB
Decklink Studio 2, FSI LM1770 Monitor

steve_martin_usa

PostFri May 28, 2021 3:49 pm

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your expertise. I love the up down arrow for moving from clip to clip—thank you. I think the winner for this situation is Previous Gap/Next Gap (Ctrl-Alt-;, and Ctrl-Alt-'). I'd love to have that screen shot as text to copy to my own notes.

I'd love to get down and visit Australlia some day, from the USA. Or out to Holleywood and hang out in the warm sunshine. Cheers.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM

Peter Cave

PostSat May 29, 2021 6:18 am

The screenshot is from the Reference Manual in the HELP menu within Resolve. You have it available at all times.

If you make it to Melbourne, Australia I'll take you to Blackmagic head office AND buy you a beer!

PS here's the text!

Simple Keyboard Shortcuts for Playback and Navigation
There are many different keyboard shortcuts you can use to simply navigate clips and timelines, and control playback.
– Spacebar:YoucanusetheSpacebartostartandstopplayback.
– Play Again: Press Option-L to immediately restart playback from where the playhead began without stopping; for instances where you quickly want to replay the beginning of what you’re listening to.
– Step One Frame Forward/Step One Frame Back: The Left Arrow and Right Arrow keys move the playhead back and forth one frame at a time, while Shift-Left Arrow and Shift-Right Arrow move the playhead in one-second increments.
– Step One Second Forward/Step One Second Reverse: Shift-Left Arrow and Shift-Right Arrow moves the playhead back and forth one second at a time.
– Next Edit/Previous Edit: Up Arrow moves the playhead to the previous edit and selects the edit point, while Down Arrow moves the playhead to the next edit and selects the edit point.
– First Frame/Last Frame of the Current Clip: The Semicolon key moves the playhead to the first frame of the clip intersecting the playhead, while the Apostrophe key moves the playhead to the last frame of the clip intersecting the playhead.
– Previous Keyframe/Next Keyframe: Shift-Semicolon moves the playhead to the next previous keyframe on the left when keyframes are displayed in the Timeline, while Shift-Apostrophe moves the playhead to the next keyframe to the right.
– Previous Marker/Next Marker: If there are markers in either the Timeline Ruler or within clips in the Timeline, Shift-Up Arrow and Shift-Down Arrow moves the playhead left and right from one marker to the next.
– Previous Gap/Next Gap: If any tracks of the Timeline that have Auto Select control enabled have gaps between clips, Option-Command-Semicolon and Option-Command-Apostrophe moves the playhead left and right from one gap to the next.
– Timeline Start/Timeline End: The Home key moves the playhead to the first frame of the Source or Timeline Viewer, while the End key moves the playhead to the last frame of the Source or Timeline Viewer.
Go to
– In Point/Go to Out Point: Shift-I moves the playhead to the In point set in either the Viewer or the Timeline. Shift-O moves the playhead to the Out point.
TIP: One of the options in the Editing panel of the User Preferences window, “Always highlight current clip in the media pool,” lets you decide whether the current selection in the Timeline is mirrored in the Media Pool.
Resolve 16.2.6 AND Resolve 17.2.2
Mac OSX 10.14.6, Hackintosh i7 8700 32GB RAM, Radeon RX 580 8GB
Decklink Studio 2, FSI LM1770 Monitor

steve_martin_usa

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 9:55 pm

Blackmagic is from down under? I didn't know that.

By "Help System" you mean the "DaVinci Resolve 17 Reference Manual", 3588 page PDF, May 2021? I did find the shortcuts in there--THANK YOU. It would be nice if there was context sensitive help, like press F1 and it pops up with the help for that screen....

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM

Sean Nelson

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 1:15 am

steve_martin_usa wrote:It would be nice if there was context sensitive help, like press F1 and it pops up with the help for that screen....

OMG, wouldn't that be nice!!?!?!
DR Studio 17.2.2 Build 4, Win10Pro x64 20H2/19042.1052
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 1050Ti 4GB, "Studio" driver 461.92
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 2:06 am

Sean Nelson wrote:OMG, wouldn't that be nice!!?!?!

Or you could just read the manual and learn it. If it's in your head, you don't even have to push a button -- the info is already there.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Roen Davis

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 3:49 am

Peter Cave wrote:
If you make it to Melbourne, Australia I'll take you to Blackmagic head office AND buy you a beer!

Hi

A great handy reference, thank you!

If I drive down from Sydney, with a mask on, will you buy me a beer too?

Cheers
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Sean Nelson

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 3:40 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Sean Nelson wrote:OMG, wouldn't that be nice!!?!?!

Or you could just read the manual and learn it. If it's in your head, you don't even have to push a button -- the info is already there.

I know the keys for the functions I use frequently, but it would be really nice to have the information for other keyboard shortcuts a little closer at hand than having to wade through the manual. There's a reason you see so many people making up Davinci Resolve "cheat sheets". I have some of these cheat sheets, but hitting "F1" in the program is still a lot more convenient than switching out of Resolve in order to find one of them.
DR Studio 17.2.2 Build 4, Win10Pro x64 20H2/19042.1052
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 1050Ti 4GB, "Studio" driver 461.92
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Leslie Wand

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 6:35 am

Roen Davis wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:

Hi

A great handy reference, thank you!

If I drive down from Sydney, with a mask on, will you buy me a beer too?

Cheers

and if i hitch a ride with roen, will you buy me one too? ;-)

and thanks for the tip...
www.lesliewand.com.au

Roen Davis

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 10:29 am

8-)
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

SkierEvans

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 2:05 pm

Could use the CUT page and find clips that are too short or too long ( boring indicator ). If the gaps are big enough you will see them in the CUT page or just scroll through quickly and they will be obvious grey in the lower timeline.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, MSI 1080Ti 11G, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 21H1
Resolve Studio 17, EDIUS X, Vegas 18

steve_martin_usa

PostSun Jun 27, 2021 3:08 pm

Wait, all we have to do is "read" one 3600 page manual, top to bottom, and then we'll know everything and never need context sensitive help?

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve