Keyboard shortcut for toggling multicam on and off

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jeremy Gadd

Keyboard shortcut for toggling multicam on and off

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 4:19 pm

Is there a specific keyboard shortcut for toggling multicam on and off rather than using the drop down list underneath the viewer?
Resolve Studio 18.6.6
Windows 10
ASUS Prime B650M-A Mainboard
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5
32GB DDR4 RAM

Jim Simon

Re: Keyboard shortcut for toggling multicam on and off

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 6:18 pm

I've never seen one.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

drewgandy

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 7:16 pm

There is a command (in version 17.2 at least) called simply "Multicam" and it doesn't appear to have a keyboard combination assigned to it by default. I assigned control-command-m to it (macos) but I find that it doesn't work until I use the mouse to click on the preview source view window drop down. That basically defeats the whole point for me.

To clarify, I've been frustrated that whenever going to a different tab (Color, Fairlight etc) and then returning to the Edit tab, multicam view in the source preview window is "off". So, I was looking for a shortcut to turn multicam viewing back on without having to click on the viewer pull-down.

The keyboard shortcut is found in the Keyboard Customization preference window under:
Edit/Media Options -> Source View Options -> Multicam.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 2:29 pm

I think your frustrations can be eased by changing your work flow a bit, Drew.

Do your Multicam work first. (Edit)
Then do your effects. (Fusion)
Then do the coloring. (Color)
Then do your audio. (Fairlight)

Happy, happy! :D
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

drewgandy

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 4:06 pm

Ha!

Yes, there is generally an order to things and I'm not clicking on this hundreds of times per session. But that doesn't mean that there aren't times that I do have to jump around for various reasons and would like some quicker ways of working. I would also like this to work for when I'm previewing a single clip in the source viewer and want to quickly jump back to the main multicam view afterwards. It seems like the command is there but just doesn't quite work yet.

btw, I do most of my Resolve editing for one particular recurring job and for that I do most of the audio master "effects" first so that I can hear it properly while editing everything else. My coloring is almost entirely done when "opened in timeline" as I'm working with real multicam footage from an event and I usually apply specific color changes to all of the clips from a given camera rather than one at a time. Because of this I also wish there was a shortcut to the color page with the multicam already opened in timeline as that would save a clumsy drop-down menu step as well. Clumsy drop-down menu steps are the biggest thing that make me feel like a semi-pro rather than the real deal.
And we all know this is really about how the software makes us feel...

Max Paperno

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 8:58 pm

For the custom "multicam" shortcut to work, one must first focus on the preview viewer pane. By default there's already a shortcut assigned to focus on the preview, which on Windows is CTRL+3. So to reliably switch to multicam cut mode one has to first focus and then hit the custom multicam shortcut. Personally I put this combo on a macro key since I do use it quite a bit and the viewer resets every time one switches away from the timeline with multicam clip(s).

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=141741

jpjazz75

PostFri May 19, 2023 7:48 pm

On Mac, Shift + Command with the left / right arrows toggles through them. Not perfect, but definitely quicker than the drop-down menu.

Return to DaVinci Resolve