Merging Video and Audio from Different Sources

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lychon

Merging Video and Audio from Different Sources

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 4:18 pm

I’m wondering if anyone has a suggestion for merging video and audio from different sources without re-encoding or compressing (i.e., perfect pass thru). I exported a Resolve video (with Linear PCM), and then compressed it to MP4 using Handbrake. Only problem is that Handbrake doesn’t appear to allow for pass thru of Linear PCM, so now I have the compressed video with AAC audio instead. Is there a simple method for taking the audio from the original video and placing it on the compressed video file (the MP4) from Handbrake?

Btw, the reason I’m doing it this way (as opposed to rendering directly to MP4 in Resolve) is because I get artifacts in my output if I render in MP4 natively.

Uli Plank

Re: Merging Video and Audio from Different Sources

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 5:02 pm

You could use .MOV as the container, it allows PCM.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

peterjackson

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 7:17 pm

FFMPEG. - c:a copy flag or shutterencoder, which is a frontend. Also Mkvtoolnix for a GUI way.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Charles Bennett

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 7:34 pm

Linear PCM is not a supported audio codec in MP4 hence getting AAC with Handbrake. The .mov container does support Linear PCM audio.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Lychon

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 9:46 pm

Uli Plank wrote:You could use .MOV as the container, it allows PCM.

I don’t think PCM is available on any of the format options in Handbrake (MP4, MKV, or WebM). I already have the container as .MOV from Resolve, and am trying to reduce the file size for upload to YouTube (from 1.22 TB down to something more manageable, like 5 GB).
peterjackson wrote:FFMPEG. - c:a copy flag or shutterencoder, which is a frontend. Also Mkvtoolnix for a GUI way.

Thanks for these suggestions- I’ll look into them!
Charles Bennett wrote:Linear PCM is not a supported audio codec in MP4 hence getting AAC with Handbrake. The .mov container does support Linear PCM audio.

Right, but unfortunately Handbrake doesn’t seem to have the option for Linear PCM pass thru, regardless of container. I think the closest lossless format it has is FLAC, which is available under the MKV format. For the sake of compatibility, I’d rather stick with MP4, but then am forced to compress the PCM into AAC. Now, this wouldn’t be much of an issue, since YouTube already compresses audio to AAC anyway, but uploading AAC to YouTube results in double compression (i.e., the AAC audio gets compressed to AAC again). I know the quality difference is probably negligible, but if I can avoid it, I will.

Uli Plank

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 5:27 am

Use Shutter Encoder then if you don't like to type command lines.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

peterjackson

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 10:00 am

YT is fine with MKV and FLAC. Pretty much any consumer device not made by Apple as well. If for some reason you like to stick with Handbrake, which I think is pretty overrated, and for people who know the fundamentals, rather cumbersome to use.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:03 pm

peterjackson wrote:Handbrake...is pretty overrated, and for people who know the fundamentals, rather cumbersome to use.

Huh. I thought I was the only one who thought that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve