Fairlight - No output on immersive bus

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tlegvold

Fairlight - No output on immersive bus

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 4:32 am

Brought up a project I had to set aside for a few weeks to try and finish it up.

It consists of a number of timelines with different mixes, in 5.1 surround and 9.1 Auro-3D. All 48kH, all in Flexbus. Audio I/O is Fairlight Audio Accelerator MADI out into a Metric Halo ULN-8 with MADI card and then into the amps and speakers.

What I discovered is that I'm unable to get any output on my Auro-3D bus, where it was working before (17.2.1 or earlier). Stereo bus works ok if I route the same tracks to it, and the 5.1 mixes play back in 5.1 without any issue. So the routing and I/O appear to be ok, otherwise I wouldn't get any output at all, it's using the same MADI channels regardless of format.

Fairlight hardware (FAA) is locked to my external I/O. When I play back with the stereo bus or 5.1 bus being selected for output, I get signal on my external I/O meters and sound in the monitors. When I switch to the Auro-3D bus I get silence, while I see signal on the Fairlight meters, but not the external I/O. It appears as if it isn't making it out of Fairlight when the Auro-3D bus is selected.

I've checked and double checked routing, the Patch panel shows all Control Room Monitor Out tracks assigned to MADI outputs 1-16, bussing looks right, and there are no mutes or other things going on, it all looks good. I'm stumped. Could this be a bug, or have I missed something somewhere?

Quick edit addendum - Only thing I could think of (haven't tested yet) is the Preferences I/O is set to Atmos 5.1.4. My assumption is that this is only for number of channels assigned, and for Atmos ADM deliveries from the Fairlight page. Since stereo and 5.1 maps onto the same outputs and works fine, I would think Auro would do the same, but maybe not?

Screenshot attached showing all meters active, but no output. If I select Stereo bus to Main on the master output, I get signal. Exact same setup, same timeline, same session, everything.

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 20.57.28.png

Ideas?

Thor
2019 Mac Pro 16 Core | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console

Reynaud Venter

Re: Fairlight - No output on immersive bus

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 6:39 am

Define an Auro-3D Monitor Set format since the Atmos speaker configuration will be different.

tlegvold

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 8:10 pm

I set up an Auro-3D monitor path, it still didn't work.

Went ahead and defined a few commonly used ones - Stereo, 5.1, Auro, Atmos 7.1.4 and 9.1.6 while I was there.

Tried playing back the same project and switching between bus source and monitor output path, Auro still was not working as a source, until it suddenly did. Maybe the switching back and forth unwedged something, as it's now working (and as before, will work with any of the output monitor paths I choose, but only for the available channels).

Seems that something was stuck, and got unstuck.

Thanks!
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 2:09 am

If you see this again and can repo or at least document steps that would help us to try to repo...thanks
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

tlegvold

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 5:52 am

It happened again the other day. I will try and repro it for you, Peter.

Thor

Return to DaVinci Resolve