New external drive.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

komabaloo

New external drive.

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 4:39 pm

Greetings folks.

I'm a relatively new user so please pardon the newbie questions. I'm sure there will be more...

My projects are music performance videos with multiple video clips displayed over an audio track. (These can be found on Youtube under the name David Komel. Not meant as a plug - just for reference.) The earlier ones were complied by someone else who decided that doing these projects for me was not something they wanted to do anymore so I picked up on the challenge. Always good to learn something new. Anyway...

I recently purchased a new external 2 TB SSD to serve as my working drive and for the purpose of archiving my files. When I moved my previous projects onto that disk and tried to open a project all the clips showed the media offline warning. How do I point Resolve to the new location? Also, the files that I didn't re-locate, audio files, in this case, showed the same warning.

I also have questions about jerky playback while editing and audio drop-outs in a couple of projects, along with other questions, but I'll deal with those later, one at a time.

I'm using a newly built (Christmas 2020) Windows10 PC based on the requirement listed for Resolve, and the latest version of Resolve (free).

Thanks, in advance, for your patience!!!
David

Uli Plank

Re: New external drive.

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 8:04 am

You can point DR to the new location with "Relink" (right click).
Regarding smooth playback, on a PC the free version will not do that for amateur formats, like H.264/265.

And then, there is excellent free training by Blackmagic, please go for it.
Don't approach Resolve with your expectations from other NLEs! They are all different.
Resolve Studio 17.2.2 and Fusion Studio 17.2.1, macOS 11.5
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM, 32 GB, eGFX Breakway RX 580
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 2:56 pm

komabaloo wrote:Always good to learn something new.
Start with the Beginner's Guide at the very least. It's really helpful.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 2:56 pm

komabaloo wrote:I recently purchased a new external 2 TB SSD to serve as my working drive
I don't recommend that. I think it's best to work exclusively from internal drives. Ideally several of them.

Use externals only for backups and archives.

Return to DaVinci Resolve