17.2.1 Crashes in Media dragging clips around

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Salty Beard

17.2.1 Crashes in Media dragging clips around

PostSun Jun 27, 2021 10:19 pm

New to 17.2.1 --- constant crashes.

When working in the Media module, dragging clips from the source folder into a bin, all works well,

HOWEVER, if you mark and in/out point and drag the clip into a bin, so you get a "clipped" version of your footage -- instant CRASH -- 100% of the time. This was a great tool for pulling in various cuts from one piece of footage.

It's very frustrating when each new release of DR also includes something new that doesn't work.

I honestly don't know if my "automatic crash log reporting" actually works. Attached is my crash log.

Mac Mini M1 (16GB)
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210627-151453.zip
(704.6 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
- Robert Biron (aka Salty Beard)
Mac Mini M1 (16GB)
LG 32 Ultrafine

Salty Beard

Re: 17.2.1 Crashes in Media dragging clips around

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 2:42 am

Is no one having issues when dragging clip with in/out points into a bin?
I had no issues prior to 17.2.1 when creating subclips with way. Now, I just crash every time.
It does it with ANY clip, regardless of format, audio, type etc.

Any solution or workaround?
Mac Mini M1 (16GB)
LG 32 Ultrafine

drxian

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 8:56 am

same with .2.2 build 4.. on windows.. not good cant get anything done!
trying to drag to a time line.. in edit.
christian hogue
artist

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 10:54 am

Salty, do u have Rosetta II installed, if not please do.
You also seem to be missing a lot of fonts

drxian.. not much anyone can help with as you havent provided sufficient details to guess.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Salty Beard

PostFri Aug 06, 2021 2:01 am

Peter:

I'm a bit confused with your reply.

If Blackmagic says 17.2 as written for Mac Silicon, why should I have any need to be running an Intel app translator (Rosetta 2) - just asking. So is DR17.2.2 written for silicon or not? BTW I have forced DR 17.2.2 to open with Rosetta 2, and none of the problems change.

Fonts? "You also seem to be missing a lot of fonts" Really? Care to elaborate? What fonts am I missing then? I find that hard to believe. Considering I'm running a clean new Mini M1 with standard IOS BigSur fonts installed and I assume (possibly) fonts that DR has installed. One would think that the app should be made to run as such. Nothing has changed on my machine, aside from installing the next release of DR.... and now nothing but crashes completing specific tasks that I used to be able to do. So why now? Installed fonts should not come into play when just dragging clips around. I have spent 30 years in print/prepress environments with a host of different applications on multiple platforms and missing fonts or mismatches usually appear in the form of display or rendering issues. It appears that I am not the only one with this problem regardless of it Mac Intel, Silicon or PC

My workflow has not changed since the release of 16 & 17, yet things I do now crash DR instantly.

a) In the Media module, I used to view clips from my master folder, set in/out point, and drag from my monitor panel into a bin to create sub-clips. - Crashes every time. I even tried the "create sub-clip" function - which ironically does nothing at all. WORKAROUND: the clip has to be inside in the same bin where the sub-clip will reside. So, I have to move the clip, view the clip, make sub-clips and then remove the main clip.

b) Changing clip attributes. I used to change clip attributes by selecting clips from my media pool (right-click & change attributes). I can still do this except for frame rates. If I attempt to change a frame rate (ie 60 to 30), DR instantly crashes 100% of the time. WORKAROUND: the clip has to be on the timeline, and I MUST access the clip attributes from the timeline item to change the frame rate then stretch my clip back out.

again... why now? the only that has changed was installing the new 17.2.2 --- which I have re-installed a couple of times too.
Mac Mini M1 (16GB)
LG 32 Ultrafine

Return to DaVinci Resolve