Video tearing - possible fps issue?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John-Paul Wood

Video tearing - possible fps issue?

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 1:57 pm

I have a DJI Pocket Osmo 2 that I use to record family videos. I record at 4K / 30 FPS. My family and I went on vacation this past week and I had quite a bit of raw footage that I brought into DaVinci Resolve and then spent a few hours editing everything. The rendered footage looked fine, but any time the video would pan, I would notice the video sort of skipping (not really tearing, but similar) as it moved to pan. This panning issue was seen not only in my 4K render, but also in my 1080P render so I know the panning issue is in the file itself and not the result of my PC or client (a ROKU) attempting to provide smooth playback. All other 4K videos I've created before appear to pan just fine on the same platforms.

So what could possibly be different here? I looked at the way the render was setup and I don't know why, but it lists the rendered file as 24 FPS and not 30 FPS, which is what the source files should be. I looked at the settings inside of DaVinci Resolve and sure enough, it reflected 4K and 24 FPS as playback? Again, I'm not sure why it didn't default to 30 FPS since this is what the source files are.

I thought an easy fix might be to change the setting from 24 FPS to 30 FPS, but then I noticed upon playback that everything was sped up so that isn't good. I really don't want to spend the hours it would take to drop all this video into another editing session. Does anyone know what change might be needed so that everything is aligned as it should be and could possibly result in smoother playback from the rendered files? Thanks for any guidance.

Jim Simon

Re: Video tearing - possible fps issue?

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 2:07 pm

You can try creating a new timeline with the correct settings, then Copy/Paste the clips from the wrong timeline.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John-Paul Wood

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 11:43 am

Jim Simon wrote:You can try creating a new timeline with the correct settings, then Copy/Paste the clips from the wrong timeline.

Thank you! That seemed to have helped considerably.

Jim Simon

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 1:30 pm

homer-approved.jpg
homer-approved.jpg (8.39 KiB) Viewed 527 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve