Relink greyed out in media management

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Stepan Ko

Relink greyed out in media management

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi

In media management, in timelines, for some reason when I choose to copy the timeline media and select the "copy and trim used media keeping handles" option, the relink option becomes greyed out. This is both in beta 2 and the most recent non beta release of resolve. It isn't greyed out when I select "copy only used media files". I always used this option in the previous versions of resolve. Is this now the normal behavior or am I doing something wrong?

Stepan

Stepan Ko

Re: Relink greyed out in media management

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 7:39 am

bump

Stepan Ko

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 8:26 am

Does anybody have the same problem?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 9:39 am

This is by design. If you relink the trimmed clips in a project with multiple timelines the media pool clips now may be correct for some but not all timelines.

In the selection for X our of X timelines you can open the arrow to select the other timelines you wish to include in the trim and relink.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Stepan Ko

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 12:20 pm

Thank Peter, i had a thought that this is basically new default behavior. In my case the only other timeline is the master timeline, and i don't want to include it cause that would defeat the point of consolidating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 4:33 pm

Have you thought about not using Master timelines but using remote grades instead?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Stepan Ko

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 8:36 am

I think the only reason I have a master timeline in general is because at some point i set a general settings preset to make it because I thought that it would be comfortable to track windows on it and have them work accross many different cuts of one full length shot. Nevere used that anyway, just use local grades all the time. I'll try and copy the timeline to a project without a master timeline and then try and do the consolidation! Thanks!

Eggert Baldvinsson

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 11:18 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:This is by design. If you relink the trimmed clips in a project with multiple timelines the media pool clips now may be correct for some but not all timelines.

In the selection for X our of X timelines you can open the arrow to select the other timelines you wish to include in the trim and relink.

I have been using this feature for commercials for years now.
Geting clients in with original material and I use the copy and relink function to get to my server, only the material used in the commercial. Plus maybe 5-10 frames.
Loosing the relink option is highly annoying.

What is your suggestion for getting around this quickly ?
bkv. / with regards
Eggert Baldvinsson
Senior Colorist
eggert@rgb.is

Mel Matsuoka

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 10:16 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:This is by design. If you relink the trimmed clips in a project with multiple timelines the media pool clips now may be correct for some but not all timelines.

I understand that this is by design, but I really think it can be redesigned in an improved way, so that you can trim the media in multiple timelines without relinking issues.

I have previously submitted a feature request for tthe ability to use metadata variables in Media Manager operations.. Being able to write trimmed versions of clips, with unique metadata, such as reel names, start/end timecode, etc as part of the filenames can alleviate this issue.

Because trimmed clips are--by definition--unique clips that have no technical dependence on the source file they were trimmed from, you should be able to select multiple timelines, tell Resolve to trim off the ends of unused clips, and if there's any overlaps of clips between different timelines, you can treat each trimmed clip instance as a separate clip, because the trimmed files will have unique identifiers baked into their filenames, such as start/end timecode. If, for example, one instance of a particular clip has 29 extra frames of handles vs the same clip which is used in another timeline, you'd just write the other instance of the trimmed clip with the start/end timecode numbers baked into the name of the trimmed files, thus preventing any potential collisions with other timelines.

I hate bringing up Premiere as a comparison, but even Premiere allows you to trim (albeit via transcoding) multiple sequences in a project, with no issues of relink collisions. Granted it avoids this by just appending a incremental number to each potentially colliding filename, but at least you can still trim all the sequences in one fell swoop!
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve