*Novice* Snapping Tool Issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

elogue53

*Novice* Snapping Tool Issue

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 3:50 am

Resolve 17 Snapping Tool Issue Example Picture.png
Resolve 17 Snapping Tool Issue Example Picture.png (44.17 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
I'm brand new to Resolve and overall pretty new to video editing. I'm trying to edit video clips to the beat of my music track. I have the Snap tool turned OFF, however, I still can only move or drag my clip by the ruler/grid marks. I can't slide the clip exactly where the kick drum starts, neither by frame nor by moving the entire clip. I've zoomed all the way in and turned on the Detail Zoom. Still the clip only will move and lock to the ruler/grid marks. I've attached a photo. The yellow vertical line is where I'm trying to move the clip to the beginning of the kick drum. What am i doing wrong?! :(

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: *Novice* Snapping Tool Issue

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 4:47 am

Slip the audio to match the video, which has to be on a frame boundary
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

elogue53

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 1:30 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Slip the audio to match the video, which has to be on a frame boundary

That sound like the opposite of what needs to be done. I'm editing the video the beat of a music track. I can't move the audio. I simply want to slide the video to the exact point the kick drum hits on beat. I can't get the video clip to move off the ruler/grid lines even when snapping is turned off. Something isn't right.

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 1:48 pm

Video can only be moved to frame boundaries. It can't exist between frames.

Sometimes this means sound won't line up precisely. Nothing you can do about that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Steve Alexander

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 1:53 pm

You mentioned you've zoomed all the way in... The video can only be aligned to frame boundaries so if the timeline is setup to 24 fps then the nearest you can align to a point is within 1/24 of a second. Is it possible that the snapping you are seeing is snapping to the 1/24 of a second (or 1/<timeline fps> seconds)?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

panos_mts

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 3:06 pm

If you are working with 24/25/30fps footage and you are allowed to deliver at a higher frame rate, you can try to double the framerate of your timeline to have more precision.

elogue53

PostMon Aug 09, 2021 2:22 am

Thanks for the reply's. I think i understand now how Resolve wants me to edit. I would like to see options to change the timeline the bpm/bars&beats/quarter note, either note etc...a la Pro Tools or Nuendo. I'm sure I'll more questions :) . Thanks again all.

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 09, 2021 5:19 pm

elogue53 wrote:I think i understand now how Resolve wants me to edit.
It's not just Resolve, it's every NLE.

Media can only be adjusted according to it's sample frequency. For moving images, that frequency is usually 24, 30 or 60.

For audio it's typically 48,000, so the increments you can adjust are much smaller. But unless filming at 48,000 fps becomes the norm, that just can't happen with video.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

TheBloke

PostMon Aug 09, 2021 7:43 pm

elogue53 wrote:Thanks for the reply's. I think i understand now how Resolve wants me to edit. I would like to see options to change the timeline the bpm/bars&beats/quarter note, either note etc...a la Pro Tools or Nuendo. I'm sure I'll more questions :) . Thanks again all.
Resolve is not music creation software so I'd be surprised if this was ever added.

If you want powerful music creation and editing features with the ability to see a video and even do (basic) video editing, check out Reaper - a powerful DAW with lots of musical features. It supports dragging video files to any track, and has a pop out video viewer to display them. You could then fit your song around it with all the musical display options you mentioned from Pro Tools etc.

It's not free but it has a two month fully-featured free trial and the license for non-commercial/small-time commercial use is only $60.

If you do stay in Resolve: regarding your issue of syncing audio to video, in the Trim menu is the option to Slip Audio -> One Subframe Forward/Backward. This allows more precise positioning of the audio relative to the video.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

elogue53

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 10:33 am

TheBloke wrote:
elogue53 wrote:Thanks for the reply's. I think i understand now how Resolve wants me to edit. I would like to see options to change the timeline the bpm/bars&beats/quarter note, either note etc...a la Pro Tools or Nuendo. I'm sure I'll more questions :) . Thanks again all.
Resolve is not music creation software so I'd be surprised if this was ever added.

If you want powerful music creation and editing features with the ability to see a video and even do (basic) video editing, check out Reaper - a powerful DAW with lots of musical features. It supports dragging video files to any track, and has a pop out video viewer to display them. You could then fit your song around it with all the musical display options you mentioned from Pro Tools etc.

It's not free but it has a two month fully-featured free trial and the license for non-commercial/small-time commercial use is only $60.

If you do stay in Resolve: regarding your issue of syncing audio to video, in the Trim menu is the option to Slip Audio -> One Subframe Forward/Backward. This allows more precise positioning of the audio relative to the video.

Thank you!

Return to DaVinci Resolve