Bug(?) Transitions don't respect clips resolution/crop

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rainie

Bug(?) Transitions don't respect clips resolution/crop

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 5:45 am

I'm working on a 16:9 project and whenever I add a transition to footage that is another aspect ratio e.g 2.35:1 (black bars on the top/bottom), resolve ignores the aspect ratio for the transition.

It doesn't matter if i crop both the clips that are transitioning from 16:9 to 2.35:1 within resolve. Or if I have footage that is encoded with a 2.35:1 resolution. The transitions always just go off the project resolution/aspect ratio and nothing else. This happens with all the transitions i tried.

If it isn't clear, the black-bars shouldn't be affected. I got around the issue by making two solid objects that were black to hide it. But that is just a huge pain to do if you have lots of different aspect ratio clips. This needs to be fixed.

Rainie

Re: Bug(?) Transitions don't respect clips resolution/crop

PostSun Oct 31, 2021 12:54 am

bump

Andy Mees

PostSun Oct 31, 2021 7:47 am

Rainie wrote:I'm working on a 16:9 project and whenever I add a transition to footage ...The transitions always just go off the project resolution/aspect ratio and nothing else.

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work... the transition happens within the frame, it doesn't matter what's in the frame, and the frame size is determined by the sequence settings. If you need a transition to be framed differently then one option would be to use nested sequences. If your entire sequence just needs output blanking, to create a wider aspect within your 16:9 frame, then you could consider setting that blanking using Output Sizing in a timeline node in the Color Page.

Hope it helps
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Rainie

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 4:48 pm

Well, that sucks.

No other NLE's I've used work that way. Real pain to use with different aspect ratio footage or showing 4 clips at once and only wanting two of them to transition for instance. Nested clips I find to be clunky to work with and slow. If you have two 1min clips, and you cut them in half (30s each) then put them on-top of each other and create a nested clip. If you want to make it longer you have to decompose, make them both longer then make them back into a nested clip again. And a lot of other nuisances.

Return to DaVinci Resolve