Not able to import one image file

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Notawiz

Not able to import one image file

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 10:15 am

Hi! I'm quite new with DaVinci. I just stumbled into something strange...

I have so far succesfully imported to the project everything I need — except for one image file.

I imported a bunch of images (jpeg, bmp, png) from one folder to the Media Pool. All except one was added. There is nothing out of the ordinary with this one jpeg — a couple of other jpegs did come through.

I keep getting these error messages:

"Grant access to a folder?
If your drive is listed in preferences, media storage,
select the folder to continue."

and when I click "Select folder" and then select the folder...

"Invalid mount point
A higher level directory ['/...'] already exists in the list."

(In the brackets of course the file path.)

I know that it exists. In fact, I don't even understand why it keeps asking me about this.

Every time I have added something from the Media Pool to the Timeline, it has asked the same thing: "Grant access to a folder?" The folder where I have every bit of material I need in this project, has already been added in Preferences, Media Storage — so why does it keep asking me for it?

And okay, until now, after asking and after I have selected the folder, everything has worked. But now, suddenly, it doesn't. And it's just a regular jpeg image.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019).
I'm running the latest version of Big Sur.
It's the latest version of Resolve (the free version).

The project is relatively small, only 4 gigabytes of material.

TheBloke

Re: Not able to import one image file

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 12:47 pm

Can you show a screenshot of Finder showing the folder containing this file, with the file highlighted (expand all columns so we can clearly see the full filename.

And put it in Lists/Detail display mode, so it looks like this:
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Notawiz

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pm

Thanks for your answer!

In the meanwhile, I made some further experiments, and now the situation is even more confusing.

Just to start over and eliminate different factors, I created a new folder on my hard drive (still under the main project folder though). I copy & pasted all the image files there and gave them generic, logical names.

Attached here is a picture of the files in Finder — and then of the new Media Pool folder where I tried to import the files.

(Sorry about the Finnish language in Finder — hopefully you can figure out what everything is...)

As you can see, in a way, five out of six came through. And DaVinci decided to combine the first to images (Logo 1 and Logo 2) into one clip named Logo (1-2), and then the next two images (Logo 3 and Logo 4) into one clip named Logo (3-4). Logo 5, the BMP file, wasn't imported.

Logo 5 and Logo 6 are the exact same image. Just to see what happens, I opened Logo 5 in Photoshop and saved it as a PNG file. And the latter was also imported.

Just to make it a bit more difficult, the second clip, Logo (3-4), is kind of only half-way there... If I double-click it in the Media Pool, the viewer shows me Logo 3 image — and if I press Play button under the viewer, it shows "Media Offline". How wonderful.

So, out of three PNG files, two JPG files and one BMP file, DaVinci failed to import the BMP file and the other one of two JPG files. And to make it more fun, it decided to combine those — for the life of me, I can't understand why it would or should do that.

And once again, just after I had selected the files with the Import Media function, DaVinci showed those same error messages that I mentioned earlier.

This HAS to be some kind of bug — right?
Attachments
Files in Finder.png
Files in Finder.png (106.42 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Files in Media Pool.png
Files in Media Pool.png (26.84 KiB) Viewed 1862 times

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 6:03 am

Hi Antti

Please also upload (or provide a URL to a file share site) to the JPEG file that you can't import.

Please also add some info on:
a. your Resolve version, build number, Studio or free (see the About DaVinci Resolve menu) and whether you installed it from the app store or the BMD website.
b. Where this JPEG file was sourced from.
c. Additional information on your system.

Please see the FAQs - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190 - for details

Regards
Shrinivas

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 7:25 am

Sequential files of the same time will be joined automatically unless you turn off the option to do that in the 3 dot menu of the media storage in the media pool.

thats a separate issue to not displaying/playing the stills.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

TheBloke

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 7:34 am

Notawiz wrote:As you can see, in a way, five out of six came through. And DaVinci decided to combine the first to images (Logo 1 and Logo 2) into one clip named Logo (1-2), and then the next two images (Logo 3 and Logo 4) into one clip named Logo (3-4). Logo 5, the BMP file, wasn't imported.
Because the filenames end in numbers, Resolve defaults to assuming these are from an image sequence - where each file represents one frame of a larger sequence.

To disable that:
- Remove the files you've already imported
- Go to the Media page
- Make sure the Media Storage pane is visible
- Click the three-dots in the top right of the Media Storage pane, and tick "Show Individual Frames"
- Now re-import your six files, which will now appear as six separate clips as you expected.

If one or more of those clips still won't play, upload that file(s) as Shrinivas suggested. Some screenshots of the exact error message(s) you see could also be helpful.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Notawiz

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 9:44 am

Thanks for all your help! This feels like a great community — sorry for not providing sufficient information straightaway, my schedule at the moment is quite busy.

As I have been in a hurry with the project, I have tried to investigate this thing on my own. And I think I figured out at least one thing: One of the logos was in CMYK — I didn't even know it was possible, because I took the image straight from a website (with permission, of course). When I changed it to RGB in Photoshop, I was able to import it just fine.

Peter Chamberlain and TheBloke, thank you for telling about this sequencing function in DaVinci. I would have never even imagined such a thing as a possibility — for a default setting, it sounds rather strange to me. But perhaps it is helpful in some situations. After checking "Show individual frames", the images came in just right.

The BMP file remains a mystery. It's an 8-bit RGB image. Maybe the problem is, that it is (as Finder says) a Windows BMP file. Maybe DaVinci Mac version can't handle it for some unseen reason. But anyway, after I opened it in Photoshop and saved it as a PNG, it too functions properly now. And I need to get on with this project.

Since these are logos, they would reveal my clients' names. I hesitate to send these image files here. Sorry. :oops:

So, pretty much the only thing that still haunts me is the fact that DaVinci keeps asking me to grant access to the media folders. Maybe I need to open another thread just for that. No need to muddy this particular topic any further?

But anyway, here are the things that I was asked to provide:
- DaVinci Resolve 17.3.1 Build 5 (free version, not the Studio version, installed straight from Apple Store)
- JPEG was straight from a website (right click, open image in a new tab, right click, save image), but as I said, I think the problem was CMYK
- since I kind of solved everything else, I'm not sure if the diagnostic log archives can shed any more light?
- attached here, the actual notifications I get each time I import files or add something from the Media Pool to the Timeline
Attachments
DaVinci Message 1.png
DaVinci Message 1.png (119.63 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
DaVinci Message 2.png
DaVinci Message 2.png (106.72 KiB) Viewed 1814 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve