Resolve 17 Project crashes on Save As... and Load Backup

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

theoangell

Resolve 17 Project crashes on Save As... and Load Backup

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 9:41 pm

Hi,

I have a UHD project that has started to run extremely slow (beachball on every mouse click). I have tried creating a new project with the Save As... command and I've tried to load a Backup project file. In either case, I get a spinning beach ball and then that's it. I can move the beach ball and I can go to the finder and other apps but Resolve remains stuck there. What are my options?

I left Resolve on the spinning Beach Ball for 30 minutes. Do these processes sometimes take longer...?

TIA, Theo

Resolve 17.3.1
iMac 27", i7, 2017, 40 gigs
Radeon Pro 580
10.14.6 Mojave

Roen Davis

Re: Resolve 17 Project crashes on Save As... and Load Backup

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 12:43 am

Maybe your hardware needs a look at...does it deliver the power that UHD rerquires?
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 1:54 am

Provide a Resolve log. You can generate that from the Resolve Help menu: Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop.

It would also be helpful to see a Resolve Project Export .drp of the project, if you can share that.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

theoangell

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 2:49 am

Thanks for the input!

It seems I solved the problem. The scratch disk that Resolve was using was almost completely full. I freed up 2 TB of space and now Resolve seems to be behaving. Also, I was able to export the project and reimport it to a new project.

I have not tried the Save As... and loading the Backup files. I will report how that goes.

I wish Resolve would let me know when the scratch disks get so full that it can't function properly... but it also is part of good housekeeping I guess... :-)

Return to DaVinci Resolve