Audio Interface shows in 'Control Panels' only

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Brian Carey

Audio Interface shows in 'Control Panels' only

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 1:50 am

This is my first post. I might be a bit wordy.
Problem: In DaVinci Resolve 17 Preferences, Audio Interface shows in "Control Panels" only not in 'Video and Audio I/O" cannot record audio.

What I have:
DaVinci Resolve 17.3.1 Build 5 (DR17)
macOS Big Sur
Version 11.6
Mac mini ( M1, 2020)
Memory 16 GB
Audio Interface MOTU M4 (M4) with two Marantz MPM 1000 microphones.

Background:
I worked through the DR17 Beginner’s Guide I was successful in completing the Recording Audio on a Timeline pages 367 - 371 using the M4. I have since removed the training projects to free up space on the Mac hard drive.
When doing other tasks I turnoff or disconnect the M4 to gain access to one of two of the Thunderbolt ports. When I need the M4 I reconnect and go into System Preferences to make sure it is reconnected and I do a test on Apple voice memos.

I’m working a a current project and I want to do some VOs. I go into Fairlight add the new track, while reviewing the RD17 Beginner’s Guide pages 368 to 370 so I don’t miss a step. Step 6 when I select Input in the Mixer for my added track A3. M4 does not appear on the “source” pull down on the “Path Input/Output”
screen.

I went into the DR17 Preferences and looked around.
In Video and Audio I/O , I/O Engine Shows “System Audio” (pull down has options for System Video and Fairlight Audio Accelerator)
The “Input device” shows “Unknown” with no pull down options.
The “Output Device” shows “Use system settings” with pull down options “Unknown” “External Headphones”, “Mac mini Speakers” and “Unknown”
I tried the different option settings with no luck.

I Found the M4 in “Control Panels” at Audio Console.
“Select This Console for Fairlight” shows “NONE” (no other option available)
A Check mark is next to “Use MIDI as Audio Console “
“MIDI Input” shows M4
“MIDI Output” shows M4
MIDI Protocol I have chosen both HUI and MCU. When I go back in after choosing HUI this selection reverts back to MCU.

In trying to figure this issue out on my own, in the Mixer on my added track A3, I was able to select Input > Audio Inputs 1-8 I selected 5 and 6 patched to A3; SFX VO-L and SFX VO-R respectively I was able to arm and record. This resulted in a wave form but no sound on play back just faint clicks at the wave peaks. I was able to replicate this with Inputs > Control Room Monitor Direct and Control Room Out.
I downloaded the current drivers for the M4 still the same issue.
It seems I just need to flip a switch or make a link somewhere deep in DR17 to get the M4 to show up on the mixer inputs.
I looked in the 3600 page DR17 user guide for clues didn’t’ find anything. It would be nice if there was a trouble shooting guide included for issues like this.
I have watched a bunch of YouTube videos there is nothing new that I have not tried.
Any Ideas ?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Audio Interface shows in 'Control Panels' only

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 8:52 am

Moved to Resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 5:54 pm

On the Fairlight page, select the ADR area.

In the ADR area, select Setup.

In the Setup area, select a Record Track.

That will enable the Record Source selection. Do you see the Motu in the Source Selection menu?

If you do, select it, and you should be good.

If not, do you see the Motu in the Mac "Audio MIDI Setup" area in the Input tab?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Brian Carey

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 9:26 pm

Success! How I got there.
In the ADR area record source is ‘None’ the drop down 1:…2:, 2:…3: , 3:..4: , etc. no M4 or MOTU M4.
I am able to record with “None” but there is a faint click at the top of each wave form peak.
In the Mixer Input Tab for A3 1: & 2: patch to A3 SFX VO L & 2

Next I went in the Mac’s “Audio MIDI Setup” as you suggested I made sure sample rate was set 48.0 kHz as I read about elsewhere. M4 still did not show up. I setup MOTU M4 as an “Aggregate Device “
Now it shows up in DR17 “Preferences “ as “Aggregate Device “ in both Input and Output Devices. In the Mixer Input tab it shows up as 1:Agg…Device through 8:Agg…Device, It shows 1:Agg…Device & 2:Agg…Device patched to my A3 L&R track.
Records with No clicking
Thank You and Cheers

Return to DaVinci Resolve