Clips cropped/transformed incorrectly when rendered

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

apogii

Clips cropped/transformed incorrectly when rendered

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 10:48 pm

Hello all,

This is my first post here, and I couldn't find another post mentioning this issue through Google or forum search.

Anyway, I'm liking Davinci Resolve so far with the exception of annoying gotchas that happen at random. Most of them I've been able to...ahem...resolve, but one I haven't.

In two projects so far, I've had clips cropped and transformed a certain way in the timeline, and whenever I'm previewing my video whether that be in edit, cut, or deliver mode, the playback is good, as expected. Then I go to render my entire timeline and that clip that I had cropped and transformed now has a different, seemingly random crop/ transform applied in a way I totally did not intend. I can see this happening in the preview window of the renderer as it's rendering, and also in the video output file. I'm stumped, because I even added small test keyframes to move the position of the items less than one percent between two frames, but still the wrong item cropping and positioning is going on. It's incredibly frustrating to use this top-tier software, but be held back by minor yet significant flaws. I would make a video detailing this bug, but I'm already fed up enough with the software for today that I don't want to touch it anymore.

I'm hoping these forums are helpful like the Reaper forums. ;)

Marc Wielage

Re: Clips cropped/transformed incorrectly when rendered (BUG

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 4:20 am

Which hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, disk I/O speed)? What specific version of Resolve? What OS? What source material? What timeline resolution? What framerate? How does your drive rate with Blackmagic Speed Test? Which GPU drivers are installed? What format are you trying to render to?

And what are your Input/Output Scaling settings set to? I find the render page never lies, and if you keep an eye on that and see a sizing problem, it's because the scaling wasn't correct.

There are several sections of the manual that users really have to read twice. That's covered in Chapter 9 of the Resolve 16.2 manual, "Image Sizing and Resolution Independence," starting on page 258. That's a mission-critical chapter, as are the ones on conforming.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

apogii

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 1:49 pm

Apologies, I should have given all the hardware/software stats.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
disk I/O: ~500MB/s read/write (Samsung 840 EVO 500gb SSD)
Davinci version 16.2.6.005
Source material: Some 720p (I think) clips of Half-Life I recorded with OBS, and the clips that were acting up were recorded from a Google Pixel 2 XL camera in 1080p 30 fps.
Timeline resolution: 1080 x 1080 p square
Framerate: 24 fps
Blackmagic speed test: It's been hard for me to find the download link for this software. I read it was inside the desktop video software which I downloaded and installed but it's not picking up any video devices.
GPU Driver: AMD Radeon Adrenaline 20.8.2

Input/Output settings are left on the default, Scale entire image to fit. Output scaling: match timeline settings. When I modified these, it made the video preview different than what I wanted, so leaving it on these values keeps the preview intact (but the rendering is still wrong.)

Here's a video of the bug in action (I don't show all the settings here):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NnIrUD ... sp=sharing

thanks for the help Marc

Philbatross

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 1:40 pm

I am experiencing the same issues. I am making a video with 9 panels/sources.
  • 7 of them are scaled to 0.333 X&Y, positioned into a grid and are not cropped.
  • However, 2 of them I have scaled a bit less but I have also cropped the top and right of the images.
  • In the Edit view, and in the Deliver view while not rendering, the images are correct.
  • But while I am rendering, and in the output MP4 file, the crops for those 2 sources are on the bottom and left instead.
I have done this on Windows 10 and then moved the project over to my Mac Mini and the problem persists exactly the same. Surely this means it is a software issue with Resolve? (Resolve 16.2.7.010 for both installs.)

The source material is 1920x1080 (same as the project), H.264, 30fps, from Samsung Galaxy S9.

SamHil

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 4:31 pm

Hi everyone

I'm new to Resolve and experiencing the same issue, trying to make a virtual choir video.
Everything is fine in edit page, all synchronized, zoomed out, moved, cropped.
But when rendering the video, I see some bad crops. Sometimes Resolve switches top and bottom croppings, or left and right croppings.

Please did one of you find a way to solve this issue ?

My video was edited with Resolve 16. Maybe I should give a try to Resolve 17, but I think it's still in beta

Thank you for your answers,
Samuel

George_Best

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 8:50 pm

Hi,

i have (almost) exactly the same issue. I try to make a video with different resolution of the media. My timeline is 1920x1080, whereas on of the media is 2160x3480.
I also tried to zoom the video, using "Transform" and "zoom" of the clip. In the CUT and EDIT window it looks good, but the rendering makes somehting different.

jadddr

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 2:24 pm

I am facing similar issues. Transforms (specifically Zoom and X, Y transforms) applied to an image are lost during rendering the timeline.

I am using Davinci Resolve v17.0B Build 5 beta version on 15" Macbook pro (2017) 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Radeon Pro 560 4 GB with Big Sur OS v11.1

I understand that this must be a bug.
Kindly update if there is any resolution or workaround.

Regards
Jadddr

Thein Lin Aung

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 3:29 am

I am having the same problem. The video preview is fine in Edit, Color and Deliver pages but rendered preview and output video have lost Zoom and Transforms.

I'm using Davinci Resolve v17.0b6 beta on Windows 10 Intel Core i7. I have been using Resolve 16 for a year without any issue.

I was so frustrated with this issue/bug that I uninstalled v17 and reinstalled v16 but now the upgraded local database is not compatible with v16, so I'm stuck and cannot render my video. Any solution/workaround is appreciated.

bobturlington

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 12:44 am

I was having a similar issue, but managed to find a sort of fix.

My issues occurred when I was creating a grid of many videos of different resolutions/framerates, and modifying them as optimized media. When rendering I used the original files, and some of the videos were out of place. However, when I tried rendering using optimized media and render cached images, the transforms were all correct.

I am not sure what sort of quality issues might occur by using these files to render the video, but it worked for my purposes. Thought I would share.

maarten

PostThu May 06, 2021 9:54 pm

I'm having the exact same issue here and it just took me hours of re-renders to test out what I was doing wrong just to find out it wasn't me but a bug in Resolve. I just couldn't believe a simple thing as a crop could have a bug in this kind of complex software and I was really surprised.

It's months after this thread started... 6th of may 2021, and we're at version 17.1.1 now, but strangely enough the bug is still not fixed obviously.

Please Blackmagic, could this get some love by the developers?

Thanks!

wuziq7

Re: Clips cropped/transformed incorrectly when rendered

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 12:28 am

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm seeing the same thing. Transforms (zoom and position) are present during editing, but the rendered output does not contain them.

17.2.1 build 12
Windows 10
RTX 2060

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 4:30 am

wuziq7 wrote:Just wanted to chime in and say I'm seeing the same thing. Transforms (zoom and position) are present during editing, but the rendered output does not contain them.

17.2.1 build 12
Windows 10
RTX 2060

Are u rendering in timeline mode?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

wuziq7

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 5:59 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
wuziq7 wrote:Just wanted to chime in and say I'm seeing the same thing. Transforms (zoom and position) are present during editing, but the rendered output does not contain them.

17.2.1 build 12
Windows 10
RTX 2060

Are u rendering in timeline mode?

I believe so - next to "Render" it says "Entire Timeline". Is that correct, or should I be looking somewhere else?

Charles Bennett

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 8:20 am

As well as Render - Entire Timeline, make sure that the render is set to Single Clip and not Individual Clip.
Attachments
Render Type.jpg
Render Type.jpg (70.76 KiB) Viewed 9358 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

wuziq7

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 12:26 am

Charles Bennett wrote:As well as Render - Entire Timeline, make sure that the render is set to Single Clip and not Individual Clip.

Yep, that is also set.

wuziq7

PostSun Oct 03, 2021 5:12 am

Any other ideas on this?

wuziq7

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 5:46 am

wuziq7 wrote:Any other ideas on this?

For anyone else searching, the solution is to uncheck "Disable sizing and blanking output" under the advanced settings under "export video" on the render tab. Learned that from here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=63262#p755804

Peter Cave

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 7:25 am

wuziq7 wrote:

For anyone else searching, the solution is to uncheck "Disable sizing and blanking output" under the advanced settings under "export video" on the render tab. Learned that from here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=63262#p755804

That option is unchecked by default, so it's likely it was selected by mistake.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

hauklien

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 5:39 am

I have exactly the same problem, using DaVinci Resolve 17.4.1 build 4. A certain compound clip in my timeline had one layer that was rendered way too big. I redid the clip several times and deleted the render cache, but nothing helped.

Solution was to tick "Use optimized media" and "Use render cached images" under the Advanced tab on the render page, as suggested by bobturlington in this thread. Then it came out as in the timeline preview.

Model Identifier: iMac17,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3,2 GHz
Memory: 24 GB
Chipset Model: AMD Radeon R9 M380
Type: GPU
VRAM (Total): 2 GB

bobturlington wrote:I was having a similar issue, but managed to find a sort of fix.

My issues occurred when I was creating a grid of many videos of different resolutions/framerates, and modifying them as optimized media. When rendering I used the original files, and some of the videos were out of place. However, when I tried rendering using optimized media and render cached images, the transforms were all correct.

I am not sure what sort of quality issues might occur by using these files to render the video, but it worked for my purposes. Thought I would share.

Darthnater

PostFri Dec 31, 2021 7:24 pm

I had the same issue and found the solution.

Edit as normal and before rendering go to Playback and uncheck "Use Optimized Media If Available" and turn Proxy Mode off.

It will set the cropped image to the incorrect one that renders so just adjust the crop and render.

Rafael Duarte

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 12:41 am

wuziq7 wrote:

Thank you so much!
Ryzen 9 5950x, 64GB RAM ddr4 3200MHz, RTX3080Ti, Windows 11 Pro,
Resolve Studio 18.1, Decklink Mini-monitor 4K

Rafael Duarte
DP, colorist, compositor

machinafilmes.com
Porto Alegre, Brazil

gagula

PostFri Feb 18, 2022 4:10 pm

wuziq7 wrote:

I had this issue too, that is the solution. Thank you very much!!! :D

Gregor Sobinkovic

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 7:57 am

I'm not sure if this is correct but for me, it worked.
In Project Settings -> Image Scaling -> Output Scaling, I unchecked Match Timeline Settings, set Output resolution to Customized, and matched it with my desired resolution.
As I have source shots of an identical resolution, I've set Mismatched resolution files to Scale full frame with crop.

daschrislydon

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 6:45 pm

Unfortunately, none of these solutions sorted the problem for me.....

I'm on v16 on a PC Windows 10.

I had to fudge the crop parameters for the clip that was cropping weird, so that it was close to what I wanted when rendered, but looked way off in the timeline preview....

stereodan

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 9:43 pm

It's insane that Resolve doesn't simply ensure that the output matches the timeline. None of the above solutions worked for me. What I had to do was go to Project Settings -> Image Scaling -> Output Scaling, uncheck Match Timeline Settings and ensure that the scaling method matched that of the timelines I was trying to export.

DavidVogt

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 10:09 pm

A simple mistake I have made a few times is having the viewer not set to fit the full frame. It is easy to not check that, and the result will be randomly bad on rendered output. It will look fine in the cut, edit, and color but wrong on output.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

PrewizardsStudio

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 11:10 am

So I have similar issue when I use Title/Text element in my timeline. In this case, the clip what placed under this Title's track in the timeline rendered wrong size. But when I reorder the tracks and clip's track move to over the Title's track in the timeline, the render is correct.

MyNameIsNotQuaid

PostTue May 16, 2023 3:50 pm

Hi all.

None of the above fixed this for me but what did was ticking "Use proxy media" under Advanced Settings on the Render/Export screen. This seems to be the closest I've found to exporting to match the timeline as I've seen other people post about.

For some reason (I'm still something of a novice), when I created proxies of my clips, it messed around with the sizing. I transformed them accordingly, not realising that the video wouldn't export this way.

If anyone knows how to create proxies without changing the size of the clip in the timeline, I'd love to hear it!

dilligentmedia

PostWed Aug 09, 2023 5:02 am

They key for me was USE RENDER CACHE IMAGES in the export panel.

Jaydog

PostTue Dec 26, 2023 11:59 am

This was what worked for me:

Darthnater wrote:I had the same issue and found the solution.

Edit as normal and before rendering go to Playback and uncheck "Use Optimized Media If Available" and turn Proxy Mode off.

It will set the cropped image to the incorrect one that renders so just adjust the crop and render.

Thank you. For everyone's info - be careful with using the other suggestion of using proxy media or render cache - as you probably won't be rendering with a full quality output (proxy media is usually not the highest quality).

3dillusions

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 6:11 pm

It took me hours to figure out the problem. In my case it was because I'd try to set the project resolution to 2560 x 2560, and I hadn't realised that the maximum resolution on the Y axis is 2160 in the free version. Basically every time I set the project higher than that and clicked save it silently reverted to 3840 x 2160.

Wasted hours trying to figure it out. I really wish Black Magic would take a little time to add error popups and tooltips, instead of silently changing settings and requiring users to search the manual for information that could be easily shown when hovering the mouse over UI elements.

Return to DaVinci Resolve