Speed editor not working properly until I use a cable.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ahvendre

Speed editor not working properly until I use a cable.

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 4:27 pm

I love the speed editor, but either there are some bugs, or I've not understood it fully. I'm on windows 64x.

So when I first plugged it in it asked me to update it which I did. So I don't know how to check which version I'm using, but I believe I'm using the latest.

After leaving it plugged in a for a long time to make sure the battery was charged, I pulled out the cable and it worked great, but when I first boot up DR, the speed editor's lights come on but not everything works. So for example, I just tried it now, and the big scroll wheel doesn't work. As soon as I plug it in though, it works again.

If I walk away from my computer, the speed editor turns off and then won't turn on again. Is there an on and off switch?

I've also noticed that often times the ripple delete button doesn't work. It deletes the clip, but doesn't ripple. Normal?

I've also noticed that if I start something in the cut page, then go to the time line and work and try and get back to the cut page many things don't work as I would expect. I could give more details if that's helpful, so let me know if you have any suggestions to my problems or if more information would be helpful.

ahvendre

Re: Speed editor not working properly until I use a cable.

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 12:50 pm

was my question not clear? 47 people saw it and no one said a word :-(

Charles Bennett

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 1:10 pm

The Bluetooth connection can sometimes be a bit fickle in Windows. The best way I have found to connect is to give the Speed Editor Stop/Play bar a press before opening Resolve. There is no on/off switch and the SE will go to sleep after a while. You can wake it by pressing the aforementioned Stop/Play bar. If you find that a function such as the Scrub wheel has stopped working, go into Windows Bluetooth menu, remove the SE and then add it again.
I know some users have had problems, I have not and find the Speed Editor a very practical and usable tool. :)

You might find this tutorial useful.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Uli Plank

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 8:47 pm

Not only in Windows, but MacOS too. I had to delete my BT prefs and pair the SE again a few times.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Sean Nelson

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 1:11 am

The Speed Editor doesn't have an "on/off" switch, but it will power down after some amount of idle time (I have no idea how long this is) in order to preserve its battery. It's good to be in the habit of hitting the "spacebar" (play/pause button) on the Speed Editor to wake it back up again before you start to use it.

The Bluetooth connection can be very problematic unless you've got a good line of sight to the antenna on your PC or laptop. I've seen posts where people couldn't get it to work until they attached an antenna to the WiFi antenna connection on their desktop motherboard (because apparently on these motherboards the same antenna is used for Bluetooth too). I bought a little Bluetooth USB dongle for my desktop PC and have it plugged into a front USB port and it works quite well.

If your Bluetooth connection isn't working one of the first things I'd try is to (a) first ensure that any optional antennae your motherboard may need is actually installed and then (b) relocate the Speed Editor so that it's right beside your laptop or desktop system unit to see if it works that way. If you've woken up the Speed Editor by pressing the play/pause button and it works well when it's right beside your computer but it's flaky when located further away then you've got a Bluetooth signal strength problem with your laptop or desktop that you need to solve, perhaps by using a USB bluetooth dongle with a higher power RF signal than your computer is delivering.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

ahvendre

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 7:49 am

I've found the speed editor to be great to ingest material, but overall that's about it. Thanks for your input!

Uli Plank

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 7:53 am

It seems to be a love it or hate it device.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

SkierEvans

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 11:42 am

I love it. But you need to embrace the CUT page as it is really intended to work there. At least in the present form. There are some excellent instructional videos from Darren Mostyn, Casey Faris and Creative Video Tips. It is a different way of working especially for multicam. Using the "source tape" and "sync bin " is a different approach so does need to be worked on to understand. The other thing I like is the fine trimming that can be done. You will be disappointed if you move between CUT and EDIT pages and expect the Speed Editor to work the same way. It doesn't. Personally when I move to other pages I use the mouse. Saves me a lot of confusion.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

jamedia

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 11:54 am

SkierEvans wrote:I love it. But you need to embrace the CUT page as it is really intended to work there. At least in the present form. There are some excellent instructional videos from Darren Mostyn, Casey Faris and Creative Video Tips. It is a different way of working especially for multicam. Using the "source tape" and "sync bin " is a different approach so does need to be worked on to understand. The other thing I like is the fine trimming that can be done. You will be disappointed if you move between CUT and EDIT pages and expect the Speed Editor to work the same way. It doesn't. Personally when I move to other pages I use the mouse. Saves me a lot of confusion.

+1

When you get into the Speed Editor it can do a hell of a lot. The problem is there is no decent manual for it. The information is buried in 3,500 pages of manual. The best place to look is on YouTube. Seeing some of the explanations of what it can do is an eye opener. For example the video mentioned above.

Ignore the "beginners" bit as both the Cut Page and Speed Editor are fairly new. they work very differently to the traditional Edit page so there are few "experts" on it.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Uli Plank

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 2:20 pm

I found the “Creative Video Tips” by Chadwick Shoult particularly useful.
There are several short clips for specific tasks.

jamedia

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 3:02 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I found the “Creative Video Tips” by Chadwick Shoult particularly useful.
There are several short clips for specific tasks.

+1
It should be an alarm bell for BMD that most users recommend somewhere else for support and how-to than the BMD forum and training materials......
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Nick2021

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 3:22 pm

Aren't some of the YT people actual BM Resolve trainers?

It's 2021 going to YT for stuff like that is the norm not the exception.

jamedia

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 3:28 pm

Nick2021 wrote:Aren't some of the YT people actual BM Resolve trainers?

It's 2021 going to YT for stuff like that is the norm not the exception.

Apparently according to a lot of the "professionals" on here YouTube is a waste of time and full of dross and amateurs... However I agree with you and in 2021 it is often the fist port of call to get how-to information.
www.JAmedia.uk

Uli Plank

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 3:40 pm

It's just not easy to find the pearls in the dust.

And then, BM has some excellent training material for free, but not for each and everything.

SkierEvans

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 6:05 pm

I think the references I gave you are solid professionals. Here is a video from Casey with guest Daria who wrote the BM book for Resolve colour Management.

Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

jamedia

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 8:08 am

Uli Plank wrote:It's just not easy to find the pearls in the dust.

Sadly I agree that it is difficult to get good answers on this forum hence recommending YouTube where you strike gold more easily.

Uli Plank wrote:And then, BM has some excellent training material for free, but not for each and everything.

Correct. It is like the Resolve manual, it's all there but not particularly usable. A quick search on YouTube will give you the answer in multiple versions and there is always one that is perfect for me. Judging by the views and comments on the YT videos I am not alone in this thought.

I think the problems is that the majority of the Resolve market in 2021 is not the same as it was a decade ago.
www.JAmedia.uk

Return to DaVinci Resolve