[Bug] Timeline randomly stops refreshing.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

piranha32

[Bug] Timeline randomly stops refreshing.

PostSun Feb 14, 2021 10:34 pm

This is a problem I have been experiencing also in version 16: after many edits, timeline view on Edit page stops being refreshed. All actions work, playback works, playhead can be moved, but the timeline panel stays frozen. This happens without any warning, is usually associated with making a few hundreds of cuts, but the number varies. Unfortunately I can't find a reliable way to reproduce the bug.
The freeze can be "cleared" by enabling stacked timelines, creating new timeline panel, and closing the frozen one. Simply switching timelies does nothing to unfreeze the view.

Eddy Juillerat

Re: [Bug] Timeline randomly stops refreshing.

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 4:27 pm

Same here.

Sometimes it's in Fusion where the view seems not to refresh. I change settings, add mattes or any nodes but nothing change, while the clip plays. Sometimes after adding a new node, changes becomes visible. But moments later, it go back to "no changes" mode.

It's pretty horrendous.

I just find that even after deleting the cache inside Resolve, when I open CCleaner in Windows, it finds many cache file in AppData/Temp/Cache relating to my project. Maybe it's there: manually removing cache in Windows folder? Because I had some crashes lately, so it's probably old cache blocking the way.

Anyway another thing we have to watch are these moving connectors. Sometimes you don't realize you connect with the wrong one.

Note: my PC is not web connected, no updates. Errors in the same project where I added the same actions now not showing. Resolve 16.2.6005
Cameras: [BMPCC4K - Panasonic Lumix lenses] - [BMCC 2,5K EF - Sigma EX lenses]
System: Windows 10 pro 64 bits SSD - 5.1 - Resolve 18.5
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

piranha32

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:33 am

I've updated to Studio 17.2 and the bug is still present. This time I got two timeline freezes without doing much, The second one just a few seconds after I cleared the first one. It has nothing to do with cache, or media. Simply opening another timeline view and closing the frozen one clears the issue, until the next freeze.

Jim Simon

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:38 pm

I've never seen this myself. You might have to share an Archive that shows the issue for BMD to inspect.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Eddy Juillerat

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 5:27 am

I found some clues.
In my hardware setup, my BIOS was very old, and some parameters was maybe wrong for Resolve so I flashed it to the most recent, making it fresh and back to base parameters.
Also I reactivated all Windows services (some of them where stopped to improve performance).
Note:
Because my PC isn't connected to the web, I don't have a firewall nor antivirus (a great solution to make the PC much faster).
After that, Fusion's viewers where working again, exept for some clips here and there.

So to my experience, when Resolve 17.2 and 16 got the same symptoms, it's probably not Resolve. It's maybe something "before" Resolve. So think the way the machine works: when you push the power button it's BIOS first, then OS.

My advice is to take the PC back to some "default state" before uninstall Resolve or anything:
1) Check BIOS. Boot the PC, enter BIOS, reverse all settings to default, test Resolve and maybe back to BIOS, adjust Disc, Bus, and GPU settings. Test Resolve every time you change ONE parameter. Sometimes one little thing make it working better or worse. Theses machines are sensitive like wild animals.
2) Check OS system. After boot, activate all Windows Services. Check Resolve. If it works, desactivate Services that you know don't have anything to do with graphics, audio and video (not easy, inside, Windows is a true mess).
3) Check Device manager to see if some hardware got a driver problem. If yes, update or reinstall drivers one by one.
4) Check the little non-Windows Programs installed if you have. Uninstall the one not necessary.
5) Refresh Windows with the install DVD
And finally, what I'm doing right these days (lucky me it's raining outside):
6) Make a clean install of the system from scratch, like a new machine.
Boot your machine with a bootable USB or DVD with Ubuntu on it (or other bootable system), it's free and got managing disc tools that can make the job done outside Windows, format the system drive, install a clean fresh Windows with latest updates and drivers. Let it do the job without finetuning anything, then resintall Resolve and test if it works.
If it is: great. Now backup!
With Windows Backup? NO! Make a disc image. Take the USB or DVD with Ubuntu on it, reboot your machine with it (so Windows IS NOT mounted), launch the disc manager, make an Image Disc and save it on another hardrive. THEN only you have a proper backup of all your system.
How many times the Windows backup isn't working well? So don't trust it, make a disc image OUTSIDE Windows. Never use the programs claiming to make a disc image inside Windows. Windows cannot backup itself totally while active. And when the Windows Backup system isn't working, it makes a corrupt backup.
Image disc outside Windows, the only solution. It always work perfectly for me and it was the only way to backup my OS through the years.

Note that if some hardware is faulty, a fresh system will not make it work better, so check first all devices.
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

Eddy Juillerat

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 7:50 am

Clues I found after a clean install of Windows and Resolve. Drivers are OK, all is fine.

But I found that after importing/restoring database, I opened my most recent project and I discover a weird thing:
The only one clip not showing in Fusion's viewers is now showing in all tabs (Edit, Fusion, Grading) BUT only when Color Grades are bypassed.
When active and playing with grade nodes (activate/desactivate), the clip stays blank OR shows a purple uniform color. It's like the Grading tab's viewer is interpreting wrongly the clip's information, or maybe it about the clip's codec. All clips are ProRes LT shot with my BMP4KCC.
To fix that, I save the grade's still, delete the clip on timeline, reimport the clip, apply the grade and now all is fine, showing everywhere like normal.
So this problem is partially clip-related.

piranha32

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 3:19 am

Looks like there is a simple workaround for this bug: switch to "Deliver" and back to Edit. Thx to Billy Rybka for this trick.

[EDIT] BMD forum does not like links with timestamps. Go to 1:48 for this trick.

Return to DaVinci Resolve