Render Fusion Clip In Place - How Does It Affect Quality?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sean Weaver

Render Fusion Clip In Place - How Does It Affect Quality?

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 8:33 pm

I'll keep this short for a change. I have a complex (for me at least) fusion composition combining two shots (picture in picture) with a cut out window containing scrolling music animation. I am working with proxies and creating Fusion Clips at the timeline resolution in order to make this manageable on my system (since the source files are 6k at 60fps). Everything is working out at last.

However, if I leave it as a Fusion clip in the timeline, when I render out the file via the Deliver page, there are some weird flashes/glitches in the final delivery. In Davinci 17.2 it would not render the Fusion clip at all without an error message. In 17.3, it does (consistently without fail) but with the issue described above.

When I Render In Place from the Edit page, the final delivery is clean without a hitch.

I did a search through the Resolve Manual (the 3500 page tome) but there were so many hundreds of results when I put "Render In Place" into the search field that without an Index I had no idea where to begin.

My very simple question is how does Render In Place affect the final output of the project? As I understand it, proxies are swapped out for the original clips at Delivery. What about Render In Place?
DR 18 Studio
macOS Monterey 12.7.2
MBP 16-Inch, 2019
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
32GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB

Sean Weaver

Re: Render Fusion Clip In Place - How Does It Affect Quality

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 9:08 pm

FWIW, just ran a search on the flickering/errors from the Fusion Clip and pulled this thread up from a Reddit forum. https://www.reddit.com/r/blackmagicdesi ... ng_fusion/

Manually enabling "Render Fusion Cache" worked the first time without using Render In Place. The second time, it did not. Just decreased the Render speed from "Maximum" down to "5." It actually made things worse.

So I think it's back to "Render In Place." Just wish I understood more about the root issue at play
DR 18 Studio
macOS Monterey 12.7.2
MBP 16-Inch, 2019
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
32GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB

Steve Alexander

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 11:26 pm

I have seen flickers in Fusion compositions as well. Might be related to having the timeline proxy mode enabled. I’ll need to do more testing.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Sean Weaver

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 12:51 am

Steve Alexander wrote:I have seen flickers in Fusion compositions as well. Might be related to having the timeline proxy mode enabled. I’ll need to do more testing.

You may just be the genius I needed. Come to think of it, *none* of this was happening before I began using timeline proxies. Just deselected "Use Timeline Proxies" and Delivery went smoothly with no flickering or Render In Place necessary
DR 18 Studio
macOS Monterey 12.7.2
MBP 16-Inch, 2019
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
32GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB

TheBloke

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 6:14 am

Yes, Timeline Proxy Mode is completely broken for Fusion at the moment. You're lucky if it renders any compositions at all - normally it just freezes on Deliver and has to be hard closed.

Sean Weaver wrote:My very simple question is how does Render In Place affect the final output of the project? As I understand it, proxies are swapped out for the original clips at Delivery. What about Render In Place?
It appears that Render In Place uses any active proxies / optimized media. It definitely uses any active Render Cache. So you better make sure that these are all in original resolution and using a codec good enough for delivery.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Sean Weaver

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 7:04 pm

TheBloke wrote:Yes, Timeline Proxy Mode is completely broken for Fusion at the moment. You're lucky if it renders any compositions at all - normally it just freezes on Deliver and has to be hard closed.

Sean Weaver wrote:My very simple question is how does Render In Place affect the final output of the project? As I understand it, proxies are swapped out for the original clips at Delivery. What about Render In Place?
It appears that Render In Place uses any active proxies / optimized media. It definitely uses any active Render Cache. So you better make sure that these are all in original resolution and using a codec good enough for delivery.

Thank you Tom. This helps!

Sean
DR 18 Studio
macOS Monterey 12.7.2
MBP 16-Inch, 2019
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
32GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve