monitor and PC recommendations?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Richard--W

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm
  • Real Name: Richard Weddle

monitor and PC recommendations?

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 12:56 pm

Time to upgrade. I'll be shopping for a new (4K / 8K) monitor and PC, or building one, to edit and grade 6K BRAW in DaVinci Resolve. A color-accurate monitor and a PC with NO lag time is absolutely essential. I'll be using DR's keyboard. I welcome suggestions and recommendations. Tell me what you use and how well it serves, or what you'd get if you could. I'm not rich, but I'll have a few dollars to spend soon. Many thanks, in advance.
Offline

Carsten Sellberg

  • Posts: 1314
  • Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 2:11 pm

Hi.

Resolve do all its image processing in FP32 on the GPU on the graphics card. Higher FP32 CUDA/OpenCL Performance is better.

For the moment the is a worldwide shortage on graphics cards and increased prices. But hp.com have for the moment some upgradeable bundles to good prises:

HP OMEN 30L Desktop with RTX 3080 10 GB or RTX 3090 24 GB and 3 different Intel CPU's:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/Configure ... esktop-gt1

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K
Offline

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 11635
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am
  • Location: Germany and Indonesia

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 2:15 pm

BRAW is not heavy. My stopgap Mac mini M1 can handle it smoothly.
But what do you mean by "no lag"? Routing the video through the computer will always have some lag.
And regarding screens, please check the discussions here in the forum, they have been discussed ad nauseam. The LG OLED TVs are one pretty good line, but you may want something smaller. And should it be SDR or HDR?
Don't approach Resolve with your expectations from other NLEs! They are all different.
Resolve Studio 17.4.1 , macOS 12.0.1
MacBook M1 Pro, 32 GB RAM
Speed Editor
Offline

Richard--W

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm
  • Real Name: Richard Weddle

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 12:25 am

Uli Plank wrote:BRAW is not heavy. My stopgap Mac mini M1 can handle it smoothly.
But what do you mean by "no lag"? Routing the video through the computer will always have some lag.
And regarding screens, please check the discussions here in the forum, they have been discussed ad nauseam. The LG OLED TVs are one pretty good line, but you may want something smaller. And should it be SDR or HDR?


I'm almost a newbie when it comes to computer-choosing / building for grading and editing.

I would not want a monitor less than 32 inches. It must be 32 inches or larger.
Offline
User avatar

Andy Mees

  • Posts: 687
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:48 am

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 1:43 am

Richard--W wrote:I would not want a monitor less than 32 inches. It must be 32 inches or larger.
You probably realise this, but just in case, please do be aware that size and resolution are not the same... and when you say you want a color accurate monitor, are you talking about a critical reference monitor (driven by a Decklink or Ultrastudio device), or are you just referring to wanting an 'accurate' GUI monitor?

PC wise, at the back end of last year I was using a 2019 16‑core Xeon W MacPro with 64GB RAM and a Vega II Duo with 2x32 GB VRAM. It was a joy to use and handled everything I threw at it with ease... but I couldn't bring it with me to the UK so I grabbed one of the newly release M1 MacBook Pro's to tide me over. I was absolutely blown away by how capable this tiny, silent M1 laptop is though. For work, I hooked it up to a couple of desktop GUI monitors (via DisplayLink), some Genelec audio monitors and a critical reference monitor (via an Ultrastudio Mini) and I was able to complete a number of relatively complex documentary edit, grade and mix projects without any real trouble, other than managing drive space. I only needed to deliver HD tho, so that may have coloured my impression of it. Given the upgrade reflected by the recently announced M1Pro and M1X models, they certainly look to be worth serious consideration. That said, if possible, I personally prefer a 'real' desktop machine and so I went ahead with my AMD based PC build earlier this year and it's suiting me just fine. I'd love a better graphics card but with price and availability as it is I'm making do with an older one. Storage wise I'm using 2x 1TB NVMe drives, 1 each for OS and Cache, a 4TB NVMe for Primary Media and a 32TB HDD RAID for Secondary Media and Online Archive etc. I'm very happy with it, but again, my bread and butter is with HD programme delivery. For the future, who knows, but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on Apple's desktop chip (M2?) reveals next year.
Resolve Studio 17.4.2 | Adobe CC 2021 | Desktop Video 12.1
AMD Ryzen 5950X | Windows 10 Pro 20H2 | 64GB RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | 462.31 | Decklink Mini Monitor
M1 MacBook Pro | macOS 11.2.1 | 16GB RAM | Ultrastudio Monitor 3G
V24G2 | WVR5000 | 8020B | USBPre
Offline

Richard--W

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm
  • Real Name: Richard Weddle

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 3:08 am

Andy Mees wrote:
Richard--W wrote:I would not want a monitor less than 32 inches. It must be 32 inches or larger.


You probably realise this, but just in case, please do be aware that size and resolution are not the same... and when you say you want a color accurate monitor, are you talking about a critical reference monitor (driven by a Decklink or Ultrastudio device), or are you just referring to wanting an 'accurate' GUI monitor?....


I'm aware that size and res are not the same thing, yes. One wants enough space for the browser to format and organize in a way that it can be seen and read. hence not less than 32 inches.

I suspect that a critical reference monitor is too rich for my blood. Did you have one in mind?
Offline

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 11635
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am
  • Location: Germany and Indonesia

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 6:07 am

Can we just step back a bit and analyse what you are aiming for?
What will be your sources? Strictly BRAW or other codecs too?
What will be your output? Do you deliver to the internet? To TV? To cinema? For events?
Will you have tight deadlines?
Will you do editing and color grading or VFX too?
All of the answers will influence your decisions and the advice you can get here.

BTW, a 32" monitor is pretty large, it depends how close you are sitting to it when working. If you work for clients, you'll need a separate, calibrated monitor. How much that'll be depends on your audience. You can get away with a used HD interface, a decent computer screen and a second-hand probe for a few hundred dollars e.g. if you work for local TV only. Or you may need to spend several ten thousands of dollars for a high-end, calibrated projector if you work for cinema. And it can be everything between depending on your clients needs and expectations.
Don't approach Resolve with your expectations from other NLEs! They are all different.
Resolve Studio 17.4.1 , macOS 12.0.1
MacBook M1 Pro, 32 GB RAM
Speed Editor
Offline

John Griffin

  • Posts: 1191
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 7:00 am

Richard--W wrote:Time to upgrade. I'll be shopping for a new (4K / 8K) monitor and PC, or building one, to edit and grade 6K BRAW in DaVinci Resolve. A color-accurate monitor and a PC with NO lag time is absolutely essential. I'll be using DR's keyboard. I welcome suggestions and recommendations. Tell me what you use and how well it serves, or what you'd get if you could. I'm not rich, but I'll have a few dollars to spend soon. Many thanks, in advance.

What is your current system? What is your budget?
Offline

John Griffin

  • Posts: 1191
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 7:04 am

Richard--W wrote:
Andy Mees wrote:
Richard--W wrote:I would not want a monitor less than 32 inches. It must be 32 inches or larger.


You probably realise this, but just in case, please do be aware that size and resolution are not the same... and when you say you want a color accurate monitor, are you talking about a critical reference monitor (driven by a Decklink or Ultrastudio device), or are you just referring to wanting an 'accurate' GUI monitor?....


I'm aware that size and res are not the same thing, yes. One wants enough space for the browser to format and organize in a way that it can be seen and read. hence not less than 32 inches.

I suspect that a critical reference monitor is too rich for my blood. Did you have one in mind?

Most serious or even practical monitoring setups have 2-3 monitor setups to separate work areas i.e timeline + controls + reference display via decklink. Only the later 'needs' to be color accurate and it doesn't need to be 32"
Offline

Richard--W

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm
  • Real Name: Richard Weddle

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 7:10 am

I was thinking of buying this BenQ although it's priced twice as high as I was planning to spend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08412P2GB?ref=em_1p_1_im&ref_=pe_27562780_609425660
Offline
User avatar

Andy Mees

  • Posts: 687
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:48 am

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 7:54 am

Richard--W wrote:I was thinking of buying this BenQ although it's priced twice as high as I was planning to spend.

I bought my edit desk and GUI monitors in January at a BBC auction... £100 for the desk, including 2 old'ish 24inch 1920x1200 monitors, and £135 for 2 almost new HP Z24n 24 inch 1920x1200 monitors. (I use them in a 3 monitor GUI setup)
A couple of weeks later I bought my Genelec speakers at an eBay auction for £230
Maybe a month after that I took a gamble on my JVC DT V24G2 HD critical reference monitor, also on eBay, buying it for just a £400 on the assumption that there must surely be something wrong with it at the price... turns out it was brand new, just in an open box with damaged packaging. An absolute bargain.

My point being... don't necessarily limit your options to what you can get on Amazon. If you keep your eyes open, a little smart shopping could potentially save you some money that you can direct elsewhere in your build.
Resolve Studio 17.4.2 | Adobe CC 2021 | Desktop Video 12.1
AMD Ryzen 5950X | Windows 10 Pro 20H2 | 64GB RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | 462.31 | Decklink Mini Monitor
M1 MacBook Pro | macOS 11.2.1 | 16GB RAM | Ultrastudio Monitor 3G
V24G2 | WVR5000 | 8020B | USBPre
Offline

Richard--W

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm
  • Real Name: Richard Weddle

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 8:10 am

Uli Plank wrote:Can we just step back a bit and analyse what you are aiming for?
What will be your sources? Strictly BRAW or other codecs too?
What will be your output? Do you deliver to the internet? To TV? To cinema? For events?
Will you have tight deadlines?
Will you do editing and color grading or VFX too?
All of the answers will influence your decisions and the advice you can get here.

BTW, a 32" monitor is pretty large, it depends how close you are sitting to it when working. If you work for clients, you'll need a separate, calibrated monitor. How much that'll be depends on your audience. You can get away with a used HD interface, a decent computer screen and a second-hand probe for a few hundred dollars e.g. if you work for local TV only. Or you may need to spend several ten thousands of dollars for a high-end, calibrated projector if you work for cinema. And it can be everything between depending on your clients needs and expectations.


Thanks for your response.

No clients. No bosses. I'm retired and not interested in working for other people.
NO music videos, no commercials, no weddings, no real-estate videos, no ENG.
I work with local crew people and talent, people I've worked with in the past.

Dramatic narrative features about 75-80 minutes > chamber plays, low-key, minimalist, but pictorial.
Micro-budget cheap, independent, non-Guild.
Blackmagic 6K Pro CineCamera - RAW, Constant bitrate, 8:1, 5:1. Possibly GoPro 10, Mavic2.
Output -- DCP to American Film Market + European Film Market > TV, Internet, home video.
Deadlines -- tightly scheduled prep, principle, post.
Editing, Grading and some little VFX (chroma key) as well.

I need a monitor large enough to read facial expression and emotion when choosing a take.
The monitor will not be less than 32 inches.

I have no schooling in computers and don't know what's capable of what, really. So I've asked.
Offline

Richard--W

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm
  • Real Name: Richard Weddle

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 8:41 am

John Griffin wrote:...
Most serious or even practical monitoring setups have 2-3 monitor setups to separate work areas i.e timeline + controls + reference display via decklink. Only the later 'needs' to be color accurate and it doesn't need to be 32"


Good point, but I'm afraid a reference monitor would be priced out of my reach.
But I have two desks together in an L so I can do 2 monitors.

I had retinal surgeries. It will be 32 inches. So there.
Last edited by Richard--W on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Offline

John Griffin

  • Posts: 1191
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 8:56 am

Richard--W wrote:
John Griffin wrote:...
Most serious or even practical monitoring setups have 2-3 monitor setups to separate work areas i.e timeline + controls + reference display via decklink. Only the later 'needs' to be color accurate and it doesn't need to be 32"


I had retinal surgeries. It will be 32 inches. So there.

I've nothing more to add. So there.
Offline

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 11635
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am
  • Location: Germany and Indonesia

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 9:07 am

I'm afraid OLEDs start at 48".
So, I'd suggest getting any good 4K 32" for your GUI and an LG OLED for monitoring colors.
Don't approach Resolve with your expectations from other NLEs! They are all different.
Resolve Studio 17.4.1 , macOS 12.0.1
MacBook M1 Pro, 32 GB RAM
Speed Editor
Offline

Richard--W

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm
  • Real Name: Richard Weddle

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 9:34 am

Uli Plank wrote:I'm afraid OLEDs start at 48".
So, I'd suggest getting any good 4K 32" for your GUI and an LG OLED for monitoring colors.


An LG OLED for grading? OLED's are better for grading?
Okay. But an 48" is a little large.
Offline

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 11635
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am
  • Location: Germany and Indonesia

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 am

The current line of OLEDs by LG offers the best price/performance ratio for grading and client/team monitoring.
Don't approach Resolve with your expectations from other NLEs! They are all different.
Resolve Studio 17.4.1 , macOS 12.0.1
MacBook M1 Pro, 32 GB RAM
Speed Editor
Offline

Richard--W

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm
  • Real Name: Richard Weddle

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 8:16 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:Hi.

Resolve do all its image processing in FP32 on the GPU on the graphics card. Higher FP32 CUDA/OpenCL Performance is better.

For the moment the is a worldwide shortage on graphics cards and increased prices. But hp.com have for the moment some upgradeable bundles to good prises:

HP OMEN 30L Desktop with RTX 3080 10 GB or RTX 3090 24 GB and 3 different Intel CPU's:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/Configure ... esktop-gt1

Regards Carsten.


Thanks for this helpful link.

I wonder if a Ryzen Threadripper is compatible with this system, replacing the Intel® Core™ i9-10900K W/Liquid Cooling(3.7 GHz up to 5.3 GHz, 20 MB L3 cache, 10 cores)
Offline

Carsten Sellberg

  • Posts: 1314
  • Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 7:44 am

Hi.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O, fusion, compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

Ryzen Threadripper have its advantage with many cores or when using more than one Graphics Cards. But for several years have Black Magic Design recommended to use ONE more powerfull graphics card, instead of a dual of triple GPU setup.

The numbers of core recommended, depend on several factors, as Codes and if you use a codec which use hardware acceleration or not?
A 64 core Threadripper can playback 8K 24fps REDCODE RAW in real time, while still leaving some headroom. But most of us are using codecs where a RYZEN 9 5950X with 16 cores/32 threads is more suitable.

My previous link show a 'HP OMEN 30L Desktop with RTX 3080 10 GB or RTX 3090 24 GB and 3 different Intel CPU's:'

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/Configure ... esktop-gt1

The change of the CPU from an AMD Ryzen to an Intel is reasonable, due to the possibility to get a
Top Resolve Desktop System at a reasonable cost.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K
Offline

Nick2021

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 3:19 am
  • Real Name: Nick Zentena

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 7:55 am

Richard--W wrote:
I wonder if a Ryzen Threadripper is compatible with this system, replacing the Intel® Core™ i9-10900K W/Liquid Cooling(3.7 GHz up to 5.3 GHz, 20 MB L3 cache, 10 cores)


Threadripper requires a Threadripper motherboard. It's not remove one CPU and slip the other one in.

The other thing is in a week that i9 becomes officially two generations out of date. Unless you're getting a great price a 10900k makes no sense.
Offline

Mario Kalogjera

  • Posts: 908
  • Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 2:13 pm

Richard--W wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:I'm afraid OLEDs start at 48".
So, I'd suggest getting any good 4K 32" for your GUI and an LG OLED for monitoring colors.


An LG OLED for grading? OLED's are better for grading?
Okay. But an 48" is a little large.
You could set it up further away so that it's not that large. It'll be a monitoring monitor, not a working monitor...


Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
Asus Prime X370-Pro, R7 3700X@PBO, 32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz, Asrock RX 580 8GB, Adata A400 120 GB system SSD, A2000 500 GB scratch SSD, Media storage:"Always in motion is it", Windows 10 Pro+Resolve Studio 17.3.2+Fusion Studio 17.3.2
Offline

Richard--W

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm
  • Real Name: Richard Weddle

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 1:44 am

Nick2021 wrote:
Richard--W wrote:
I wonder if a Ryzen Threadripper is compatible with this system, replacing the Intel® Core™ i9-10900K W/Liquid Cooling(3.7 GHz up to 5.3 GHz, 20 MB L3 cache, 10 cores)


Threadripper requires a Threadripper motherboard. It's not remove one CPU and slip the other one in.

The other thing is in a week that i9 becomes officially two generations out of date. Unless you're getting a great price a 10900k makes no sense.


What replaces it?
Offline
User avatar

Aaron_Hayden

  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:42 pm
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 3:02 am

I just installed one of these bad boys last week.

https://www.supermicro.com/en/Aplus/sys ... 14A-TT.cfm

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3955WX
128 GB system ram
8TB Nvme raid for cache
RTX 3090
Decklink 12g Extreme

Very happy with system performance so far.

That being said...if Apple silicon matures in a couple years to match performance, this might be my last PC build.
Offline

Nick2021

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 3:19 am
  • Real Name: Nick Zentena

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 5:23 am

Richard--W wrote:
Nick2021 wrote:
Richard--W wrote:
I wonder if a Ryzen Threadripper is compatible with this system, replacing the Intel® Core™ i9-10900K W/Liquid Cooling(3.7 GHz up to 5.3 GHz, 20 MB L3 cache, 10 cores)


Threadripper requires a Threadripper motherboard. It's not remove one CPU and slip the other one in.

The other thing is in a week that i9 becomes officially two generations out of date. Unless you're getting a great price a 10900k makes no sense.


What replaces it?


The new generation is called Alderlake. I think the rumoured announcement is tomorrow the 27th with sales starting next week.

Substantially faster . Plus a few other new techs are coming with it. New memory standard. New PCIE standard.
Offline

Richard--W

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm
  • Real Name: Richard Weddle

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:27 am

Aaron_Hayden wrote:I just installed one of these bad boys last week.

https://www.supermicro.com/en/Aplus/sys ... 14A-TT.cfm

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3955WX
128 GB system ram
8TB Nvme raid for cache
RTX 3090
Decklink 12g Extreme

Very happy with system performance so far. ...


Thanks for this. Very interesting. No hdmi port(s)?
Where do you buy it?
Wish I knew what all those things on the list mean.
Guess I'll start looking them up.
Last edited by Richard--W on Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Offline

Richard--W

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm
  • Real Name: Richard Weddle

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:29 am

Nick2021 wrote:
Richard--W wrote:
Nick2021 wrote:....

Threadripper requires a Threadripper motherboard. It's not remove one CPU and slip the other one in.

The other thing is in a week that i9 becomes officially two generations out of date. Unless you're getting a great price a 10900k makes no sense.


What replaces it?


The new generation is called Alderlake. I think the rumoured announcement is tomorrow the 27th with sales starting next week.

Substantially faster . Plus a few other new techs are coming with it. New memory standard. New PCIE standard.


I wonder if it goes up on their website's build-it and order pages.
Offline

Nick2021

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 3:19 am
  • Real Name: Nick Zentena

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 8:19 am

If you mean HP you'd expect it to. It's not like they don't know the chip and motherboards are coming. The same way they know the laptops are coming in the new year.
Offline

Richard--W

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm
  • Real Name: Richard Weddle

Re: monitor and PC recommendations?

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 9:18 pm

Would the moderator please delete this thread?

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], jfykeaucq871, JJ Falsetta, juanborras, Olivier MATHIEU, Sander de Regt, sharkEditor, TomasM and 103 guests