Timeline markers disappear

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gernot Grassl

Timeline markers disappear

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 11:13 am

I often use markers on clips that are placed in a timeline.
But since my upgrade to ver 16, Resolve often (but not always) won't show them, they seem erased or lost. Restarting Resolve sometimes brings them back, but not every time, which is really annoying.

I do know the difference between "clips" and "clip instances" and the difference that this makes concerning markers, but my problem has nothing to do with that.

Has anybody experienced the same and knows a workaround/fix?
Thanks!

Gernot Grassl | film editor | Vienna, Austria

Jim Simon

Re: Timeline markers disappear

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 3:35 pm

I haven't had any marker problems in any version of 16 for Windows.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

IsraEliteMedia

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 3:53 pm

I too can confirm the disappearing markers problem in Davinci Resolve. I am currently running 16.1.2.
Usually, if I close DR and reopen, the markers reappear. Annoying.

Erik
SYSTEM SPECS
DR Studio 18.6.6 (2 seats) Win 11 Pro (fully updated)
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
128GB RAM DDR5
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Studio Driver 551.86

Erik Davis, IsraEliteMedia--Zichron Yaakov, Israel

Reddydrag

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 pm

Confirmed! And believe me... you're not alone. Besides, I think BMD will never be able to solve all the bugs since the 16 versions. Unstable as hell...
Windows 10 pro 64 bit - DR 16.1.1 - Intel Core i9-9940x CPU @3.30GHz - 128 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Studio driver 442.19 - BenQ PD series 4K monitor - 4 x SSD's 2TB - No internet connection - No antivirus - Audio through Voicemeeter

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 4:33 pm

Gernot,

Could you confirm if the markers appear in the edit index > Show all markers, or if you switch timelines and back?

Could you provide some detail? Which page is this on? What colors are default? Do you use hotkeys, menu or toolbar? Could you also list your system settings per viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190?

Thanks
Shrinivas

Gernot Grassl

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Gernot,

Could you confirm if the markers appear in the edit index > Show all markers, or if you switch timelines and back?

Could you provide some detail? Which page is this on? What colors are default? Do you use hotkeys, menu or toolbar? Could you also list your system settings per viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190?

Thanks
Shrinivas

Dear Shrinivas,

- the markers also disappear from the edit index.
- Turning on and off "show all markers" doesn't help, neither in the edit index menu nor in Menu/View.
- To apply the markers onto the clips lying in the timeline I usually playback the video in realtime while the clips being activated (red outline), and hit the "m"-key on the fly to place a marker; then I type in the marker text and hit OK.
- Most markers I leave blue, sometimes I change the colour to red or green; the colour doesn't have an influence on the behaviour.
- closing a timeline and reopening doesn't make the markers come back
- it doesn't seem to be a difference If I have 1 or 5 timelines open at the same time when opening a new one with missing markers
- on an average 8 hour workday I need to reopen Resolve about 3-4 times to get the markers back

- I'm working on a large documentary project with 40+ bins of raw footage, and 100+ timelines
- the clips are mostly raw 5K RED files, but also some h.264/mp4s. Markers disappear from both.
- I worked similar big project on ver 14 and 15 and never had this trouble, it started with the upgrade to 16.
- I'm working currently with Resolve 16.1.2 on a iMac 2019 with 3,6GHz Intel Core i9, Radeon Pro 580X 8GB Graphics, Memory 64GB 2667MHz DDR4

I would very much appreciate your support!
Greets from Vienna, Gernot

Kenzo

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 12:07 am

I also confirm. The markers disappear and only Resolve restart helps (for a moment).
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Gernot Grassl

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 2:20 pm

I have the suspicion that this error occurs when you exceed a certain maximum numbers of marker in all your open timelines (as mentioned before, I work with a lot of markers).

I have the feeling they don't disappear (that often) when working in timelines with only few markers...

anyone agreeing/disagreeing?

Cheers, Gernot

coxcam

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 7:07 pm

I have the same problem with disappearing markers. Have to restart Resolve 16 v16.1.2 and sometimes have to reboot my PC to get them back. Only have around 15 timelines in this project and only 2-3 timelines have markers so don't think it can have anything to do with a maximum number of markers in project.
None of Shrinivas' suggestions make any difference.

mitchellhart

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 12:53 am

Same problem here. I updated to 16.2 today and the same issue persists. Very discouraging when you put a lot of time into creating markers. :cry:

Kenzo

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 1:14 pm

I confirm in 16.2 the problem with markers still exists.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

ecpwll

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 11:08 am

I also have the same problem. Flags disappear as well. First time this has ever happened to me though. Only reason I can think is that it has something to do with most of my timelines in this project being copied from other projects (feature film broken up into reels consolidated into one project). Luckily I can color trace from the other projects pretty easily to get them back, but then they just seem disappear again eventually. Very frustrating

dcolacino

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:04 pm

The number of markers makes no difference. I have a new project with very few clips and just three markers. One timeline marker, one marker in a video clip, and one marker in an audio clip. They are ONLY visible if I set the filter to show all markers. Once I switch to "Show All" they disappear from the list.

Would like to see this fixed because I can use the exported edit list as a way to flag 3rd party content that needs rights clearances for E&O insurance.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 (build 7); iMac 27 inch, Retina 5K; 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor; 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4; Internal 2TB SSD; Radeon Pro 580 8 GB graphics running Ventura 13.6.4.

Timothy Clark

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 2:17 pm

Confirming this is happening to me in 16.2.
I messed around with different edit index settings to no avail (Show all, show all markers, show certain colors of markers, etc.)
I have a project with multiple timelines, but two main ones with a considerable amount of markers: day 1 and day 2.
I've noticed when I start Resolve and start the project, it seems to be an either/or situation. Either day 1 or day 2 will have the markers, but not usually at the same time.

Resolve seems to have a hidden feature that finds the projects I have the tightest deadline on and discovers a way to slow me down.

Dbounce

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 6:46 pm

Was the marker issue ever solved? I can see markers but no names or descriptions.

BruceBanner

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 4:20 am

At this point in time I can't begin to fathom how bad markers are handled within Resolve, to the point I think they are just pointless and serve so little function.

I film maybe 1hr worth of footage, i might rewatch my footage at a playback speed of x2 or x4 and mark the file at points i want to insert an image or b roll. I then change clip speed to 400% and its all a mess.

Or..

I decide to do some cutting, and some of the markers come with and some just vanish. Restarts are not working for this guy, they are just gone.

I have to basically make a gut decision with my project to change the speed clip first to 200, 400 or 500% and then do the marking (as difficult as that is when things are speeded up), then at least they'll stick.

I just don't understand the point of markers clearly, I get that you can mark, audio, video or timeline but when editing the clip in terms of changing speed, speed points or cuts they simply do not all follow, 80% of mine just disappeared :/

Kinda glad I didn't pay $400 for Pro at this point in time.

FredStork

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 6:36 pm

I think the initial issue in this string has been resolved, I at least have not experienced it. The « issue » with markers disappearing when changing clip speed is related to the clip markers being linked to time and not frame. I.e. if a clip marker is set 5 seconds into the clip and the clip speed is changed the marker will still be positioned on 5 seconds into the clip and not by the frame of the initial 5 second mark… If the clip speed is changed in a way that moves the clip markers out of view they disappear… (while the timeline markers remains even if all media is removed, if media is added back the timeline markers reappear - nice if you for some reason want to have predetermined markers for, say, commercial breaks…)
So this is technically not an issue but by design - but I agree that clip markers be frame and not time marks. Or at least that the user could chose but I have not found that option…

CurioC

PostWed Feb 22, 2023 5:40 pm

I'm on 18.1.3 Build B. I've been experiencing the disappearance of markers placed on the timeline at 0:00. The 0:00 marker is used for exporting the material to YouTube. Anyone knows a work around?

rchaisse

Re: Timeline marker names disappear

PostThu Sep 07, 2023 4:00 am

I'm somewhat new to DR. I'm on v 18.5 and last night I named my Markers which was very important to the project I'm on.
Today, the names have all reverted to Marker #s.

I hope management and the Programmers are working on this.

Not happy.
Davinci Resolve 18.6.5

Jim Simon

PostThu Sep 07, 2023 3:17 pm

Open one of the Markers, Rick. Are the changes you made available in Notes or Keywords?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

NealWiser

PostFri Dec 22, 2023 4:31 pm

I just got Studio (v18.6.4 Build 6 running on a 2018 MBP / Ventura 13.6.3 (22G436)) and I'm already losing markers. Can't believe a platform this mature is still suffering from such basic issues. NOT happy at all!

Where do I report bugs?

Return to DaVinci Resolve