My video looks good on PC and mobiles-but not on my TV (HDR)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Asher123

My video looks good on PC and mobiles-but not on my TV (HDR)

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 6:42 pm

Hi, I have made a video that looks good (to me) when:
- played back on my computer monitor,
- exported to a mp4 video file and played on other computers, mobile phones, and through Dropbox..

However when I play the same video on our brand new basic model LG webOS with (so called) HDR, my subject's face appears completely blown out, and I can't understand why. Everything else played on the TV looks fine.

Here is a link to a small (4.5MB) sample of my video.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sh2f9qygu686 ... o.mp4?dl=0

Your help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

shebbe

Re: My video looks good on PC and mobiles-but not on my TV (

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 10:14 pm

With what are you playing the file back on the TV? In what picture mode is the TV?
The file itself is not an HDR video so if the TV is for some reason yes it will look terrible. What do you see if you hook the computer up on the TV or if you stream it from your phone to the tv, or upload it to YT and play it back then.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 1:11 am

Asher123 wrote:Hi, I have made a video that looks good (to me) when:
- exported to a mp4 video file and played on other computers, mobile phones, and through Dropbox..

However when I play the same video on our brand new basic model LG webOS with (so called) HDR, my subject's face appears completely blown out, and I can't understand why. Everything else played on the TV looks fine.

unless there is some sort of metadata in the file, FWIK, you cannot just grab a SDR file, slap it into a HDR monitor and expect it to work....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Asher123

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 3:14 am

shebbe wrote:With what are you playing the file back on the TV? In what picture mode is the TV?
The file itself is not an HDR video so if the TV is for some reason yes it will look terrible. What do you see if you hook the computer up on the TV or if you stream it from your phone to the tv, or upload it to YT and play it back then.

Thanks! Good suggestions. I'll give these a go and report back here.

How did my attached video look on your screen when you viewed it?
Last edited by Asher123 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asher123

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 3:18 am

[/quote]

unless there is some sort of metadata in the file, FWIK, you cannot just grab a SDR file, slap it into a HDR monitor and expect it to work....[/quote]

I wonder if I should be exporting my Davinci videos with some sort of meta file built in to somehow prevent this issue for others who may view it on their TV's.

How did my attached video look on your screen when you viewed it?

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 8:12 am

Asher123 wrote:

unless there is some sort of metadata in the file, FWIK, you cannot just grab a SDR file, slap it into a HDR monitor and expect it to work....[/quote]

I wonder if I should be exporting my Davinci videos with some sort of meta file built in to somehow prevent this issue for others who may view it on their TV's.

How did my attached video look on your screen when you viewed it?[/quote]

on my PC, normal, as in SDR
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

JonPais

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 1:42 am

Asher123 wrote:Hi, I have made a video that looks good (to me) when:

What exactly is 'so-called HDR'? Precisely which model TV are you using?
https://daejeonchronicles.com

Asher123

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 3:06 am

[/quote]What exactly is 'so-called HDR'? Precisely which model TV are you using?[/quote]

Precisely this one... https://bauhn.com.au/65-4k-ultra-hd-web ... -tv-23oct/

JonPais

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 3:19 am

Asher123 wrote:
What exactly is 'so-called HDR'? Precisely which model TV are you using?[/quote]

Precisely this one... https://bauhn.com.au/65-4k-ultra-hd-web ... -tv-23oct/[/quote]

I hate to be the party-pooper, but that is no HDR television. There is no information about local dimming zones or peak brightness. It is an SDR television masquerading as HDR.

From the owner's manual, "By using this feature, the TV can reproduce greater dynamic range of luminosity by capturing and then combining several different exposures."

Sorry, but that's not how HDR works.

Asher123

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 3:37 am

[/quote]
I hate to be the party-pooper, but that is no HDR television. There is no information about local dimming zones or peak brightness. It is an SDR television masquerading as HDR.[/quote]
And hence my comment "so called HDR" as the box clearly says HDR but I believed it is only trying to simulate HDR.

JonPais

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 3:41 am

Asher123 wrote:

I hate to be the party-pooper, but that is no HDR television. There is no information about local dimming zones or peak brightness. It is an SDR television masquerading as HDR.[/quote]
And hence my comment "so called HDR" as the box clearly says HDR but I believed it is only trying to simulate HDR.[/quote]

Hence, no reason to expect to be able to view HDR content as intended.

Asher123

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 3:52 am

JonPais wrote:
Asher123 wrote:

I hate to be the party-pooper, but that is no HDR television. There is no information about local dimming zones or peak brightness. It is an SDR television masquerading as HDR.

And hence my comment "so called HDR" as the box clearly says HDR but I believed it is only trying to simulate HDR.[/quote]

Hence, no reason to expect to be able to view HDR content as intended.[/quote]

You need to re-read my original post again as I never expected to be able to view HDR. What I want is to be able to export video files that will play on all devices reasonably. My video file - which I have included in this post - is unwatchable on this brand new TV with its standard settings out of the box.

If you have any suggestions on how to help solve my issue, ie on how to create Davinci output files to minimise these types of issues on the publically available TVs and monitors, please speak up. There may be some rules of thumb in the editing process to keep within certain limits of some kind to prevent this type of thing happening. I don't know, and hence why I originally started this post.

Leslie Wand

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 4:17 am

unfortunately, bauhn doesn't have a very good reputation, other than for price:

https://www.choice.com.au/electronics-and-technology/home-entertainment/tvs-and-projectors/articles/should-you-buy-an-aldi-bauhn-tv-or-soundbar-subwoofer

my neighbour bought one, and also another friend. both were unhappy with picture quality, and my neighbours started misbehaving within 3 months of purchase. he finally dumped it, finding no help from aldi at all.

can you check your file on another tv?

good luck
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

JonPais

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 4:42 am

Asher123 wrote:
JonPais wrote:
Asher123 wrote:

And hence my comment "so called HDR" as the box clearly says HDR but I believed it is only trying to simulate HDR.

Hence, no reason to expect to be able to view HDR content as intended.[/quote]

You need to re-read my original post again as I never expected to be able to view HDR. What I want is to be able to export video files that will play on all devices reasonably. My video file - which I have included in this post - is unwatchable on this brand new TV with its standard settings out of the box.

If you have any suggestions on how to help solve my issue, ie on how to create Davinci output files to minimise these types of issues on the publically available TVs and monitors, please speak up. There may be some rules of thumb in the editing process to keep within certain limits of some kind to prevent this type of thing happening. I don't know, and hence why I originally started this post.[/quote]

I just downloaded your video and imported it into Final Cut and watched it on my LG OLED and it looks normal to me. I'm sure it would look just fine if I were able to put the file on a thumb drive and pop it into the TV too.

Return to DaVinci Resolve