Anamorphic Video and Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

markr041

Anamorphic Video and Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 7:04 pm

I am using an anamorphic lens. I go in clip attributes to change the pixel aspect ratio, but I see only a limited set of choices. The best choice, so subjects in the center do not look too wide, is 1.25X. However, this is a bit too much.

Is there a way to select a custom PAR in clip attributes - I likely need 1.2X (yes, this is an odd lens). Or is there some other way to de-squeeze appropriately?
Mark Rosenzweig

UserNoah

Re: Anamorphic Video and Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 8:05 pm

I'm unsure if Resolve has any way to desqueeze with a custom ratio but Fusion definitely can. I would suggest using Fusion Studio/Standalone so you don't have the MediaIn conversions from the Fusion Page and work with the full resolution.

In Fusion Studio you can use a Loader to bring your footage in, then a Resize tool to desqueeze the footage and save it back to disk using the saver tool.

If you have a Resolve Studio license or dongle you can also run Fusion Studio.

Black Winter

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 10:18 pm

Well, we anamorphic nerds follow Tito Ferradan's method - the pixel aspect ratio should be set to Square. Simply go to the Edit pade, unlink the X and Y clip tranforms and set the X zoom to whatever is needed, like 1.200.
Using this all the time, as my weird lenses have the squeeze factors of 1.93 and 1.987 :)

ZRGARDNE

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 12:07 am

If you Video a vertical and horizontal ruler you can calculate the actual squeeze of your lens.

Do it at a few focal distances, lower cost lens can change quite a bit from minimum to infinity.

markr041

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:12 pm

Thanks for the tips - no more fattened people in my clips using the x/y method!
Mark Rosenzweig

Return to DaVinci Resolve