Resolve 17.4 new and old bugs and feature requests.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rodrigo Silvestri

Resolve 17.4 new and old bugs and feature requests.

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 10:57 am

Hi everyone, I'm a colorist based in Buenos Aires and every time there's a new version I try to find the time to review the new features and mostly report if I find anything odd. Here's my bug report + feature request for Resolve 17.4

If anyone is interested in adding some comments or more feedback, this list is being updated on this https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ap0mibV3OWUveemCa2kdKJRr4QW55wkLxFHFRQSw55Y/edit?usp=sharing, comments are appreciated!

Thanks!
Rodrigo

NEW BUGS IN RESOLVE 17.4

- New Fullscreen Mode: What I liked from the classic Fullscreen mode was the macOS Dock didn’t appear when moving the pointer to the bottom of the screen to switch pages. It is annoying to have to be “careful” with these clicks when trying to work fast :) Plus, the new fullscreen mode doesn’t work for multiple displays. I use 3 GUI displays. 2 for the interface and a smaller one for the scopes window. I have the “Displays have separate spaces” option disabled in macOS System Preferences so the menu bar only appears in one monitor. When I set Resolve to the new fullscreen mode, it puts the Primary display and the Scopes window on one macOS space, showing one monitor full black, and the Secondary display on a different macOS space. (Spaces are switched by pressing option + left or right arrow).

- It is now impossible to reset a parameter by double-clicking the parameter name using a Wacom device. (i.e. double clicking on the Shadows or any sizing parameter). This still works fine inside OFX paramters. And this also works OK when using a mouse. But when double-clicking from a Wacom device it only selects the field to write on it.

PREVIOUS PERSISTENT BUGS:

COLOR PAGE

- “Show current clip with handles” option doesn't work in collaboration projects.

- The color Nodes workspace is limited in a way that makes it difficult to work with too many nodes. If a node tree is big and you append another big tree, some nodes go “beyond the map” and they are difficult or impossible to reach depending on your experience. The one in Fusion is fine, it can be expanded and navigated more easily.

- When using the Split Screen with the “Selected LUTs“ option, OFX plugins in the node tree are not applied to the preview, so if there are any Color Space Transform nodes the resulting image is totally incorrect. The only way to solve this is to put the node in the Timeline instance, this will keep all the previous nodes for the preview, but it's uncomfortable to have the need to add a Timeline node just for testing a LUT.

- Also Split Screen + Selected LUTs doesn’t work right with nodes on Post-Group, even if thre aren't any OFX nodes. The previews show an incorrect result than when the LUT is applied to the node.

- PLEASE!!! Add a “Are you sure you want to copy all remote versions to local?“ confirmation dialog for “copy remote to local”, “copy local to remote”, “use local grades” and “use remote grades”. I know I reported this many times but the reply I got after explaining the whole problematic was "This is not new behavior". I will keep insisting on this feature since I have it seen causing trouble many times, trouble that, if a backup is available, the backup can partially save the chaod (depending on how long ago it was exported), but if for some reason there was no recent backup doing this by mistake can be chaotic. Timelines with clips in multiple versions or even using a mix of both local and remote versions can be destroyed by any of these features. Plus, the "copy to" actions delete one version from the other stage (copy to local deletes the first or the selected color grade replacing it by the one in the remote version. None of these actions can be undone and any action that cannot be undone should have a confirmation dialog in any serious software. It is designed for trouble.

- The new features for the key mixer are appreciated but it is still limited to 6 inputs. You can add more inputs but they won’t do anything.

- Group editing is blocked in projects with Collaboration enabled. In my case, I use collaborations for editors to add footage in my edits while I grade. There should be an option to let editors work without limiting the colorist’s tools.

- GALLERY LIVE PREVIEW IS ALWAYS ENABLED: I disable the “Live preview” option constantly in the Gallery because when I restart Resolve it’s always on. I’ve seen this behavior since maybe a year or more on two grading suites, in Resolve 16 and 17. I like to work with dual-screen enabled. I have not seen this issue in suites with one screen, but I’m not sure it’s related to that.

MEDIA POOL

- COLUMNS ORDER RESETS: When changing the workspace (i.e. closing Resolve, a new UI monitor is plugged in, opening Resolve) the media pool columns order is reset and the user saved presets for columns orders disappear.

FEATURE REQUESTS:

COLOR PAGE

- (Gallery) An option to grab all stills under certain marker color.

- (Gallery) Remember the exported stills format. (i.e. if I export stills in PNG, then the next time I open Resolve and export a still I don't have to manually choose PNG)

- (Gallery) Add a checkbox in the export window to export stills without DRX in case these are just for approval.

- (Gallery) Ability to color manage stills. Many times I'm working in Rec709 and sRGB stills are sent to me, or vice-versa. Instead of needing to load references as color managed media in the timeline and grab the stills from the timeline, it would be great if there was an option to set the IDT for the stills. The same goes for exporting, it would be great to not need to change the project settings before grabbing stills for sRGB preview. Currently there is a persistant confusion because clients review PNGs in non-color-managed sRGB environments and we usually work in Rec709 so it would be great if Resolve included a feature to avoid the need to go through switching ODT/ Output color space all the time for doing a simple thing right :)

- (Gallery) After exporting stills, automatically open the destination in a Finder window. It would be so helpful to have the destination folder open instead of needing to navigate to te destination folder manually :)

- (Gallery) Option to set a default export folder for each project to export stills more easily. Better stills management in general would be really appreciated.

- (Groups) Better group management. It would be awesome if groups could have versions, or the ability to create a new group containing the previous group nodes. (When we create a new group for having two group versions, we have to grab a still in the pre-group and grab one in the post-group, then create the new group and manually paste the stills in pre- and post-group.

- (Gallery) Play Thumbnail Stills in Gallery: In Color > Gallery, when selecting the Timelines item on the left column, it would be great to be able to do a "Play Still" from those thumnails. Also, it would be nice if we could see the file name below each thumbnail.

- (Groups) Pre-Group Cache: When right-clicking a node on a color group, the only cache option is "Group Cache". When enabling this, the whole image is cached with the Pre-Group and Post-Group. If there is a specific node on Pre-Group that need caching (i.e. a denoise node or OFX) it is not possible to cache this node only. So if any changes are made either on the Clip nodes or on the Post-Group nodes (which come AFTER the Pre-Group instance) the cache is destroyed and re-rendered. It would be great to be able to only cache the whole Pre-Group or even only a single node in the Pre-Group.

- Between the shots filters list, below the Groups submenu, add an option that shows only clips with no group. This can be done by creating a manual filter that shows clips with groups names that match to nothing, but it would be useful to have it as the first or last options below the Group submenu.

RENDER

- Advanced FrameIO render settings: Ability to edit advanced settings on branded presets (FrameIO, Vimeo, etc). I usually set “Use optimized media”, disable audio output, and many other settings and I don’t see any reason to be unaccessible on these renders.

- Ability to select ODT or Output Color Space in the Render Job without needing to change the project settings when rendering SDR and HDR versions of the same timeline.

GENERAL

- "Bypass Color Management" (right click on a clip in Edit or on a thumbnail in Color) causes every clip below the playhead to have its color management disabled. This breaks many situations, i.e. side by side compositions, and renders being checked by difference on a superior track on the timeline.

- Backup Now button. Considering the backup can take a long time in complex projects and weird setups, it would be great to have a "Backup Now" button that backups the project and resets the counter for the next backup. So if I'm having a coffee break, I can press that button and make sure that I won't have another automatic backup being performed during the next 60 minutes.

- I don't know the current status of this issue but as of 17.2.2, on the project manager window, using CMD+X and CMD+V wouldn't move a project, mostly if I just switched databases.
Last edited by Rodrigo Silvestri on Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBloke

Re: Resolve 17.4 new and old bugs and feature requests.

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 11:56 am

I just wanted to say that I love the new 17.4 native full screen mode - for me it's a notable improvement over 17.3.2 and before.

Rodrigo Silvestri wrote:I have the “Displays have separate spaces” option disabled in macOS System Preferences so the menu bar only appears in one monitor.
Out of interest, why do you have this option enabled? I love "Displays have separate spaces" - it's one of the features that keeps me using macOS. It's so much more flexible than the multi-desktops features of Windows or Linux. It means I can change space per monitor, so for example I could have Resolve full screen on my main monitor, then with a quick trackpad gesture (three finger swipe left/right) change space and see another full-screen app, or a normal desktop with non-full-screen apps.

This is how I have my four monitors arranged, looking at Mission Control:
(click for full size)

I have Resolve on the main 4K screen, full screen, meaning it goes into its own Space. I'm in Dual Screen mode, using the second display (bottom left). The dual-screen window doesn't go into macOS' native Full Screen, but it does put that second screen window in a mode that's like the old Full Screen Window mode. What's great is that in 17.4 that second screen window doesn't disappear when Resolve loses focus, like it used to in 17.3.2 and before. On the second screen I can switch Space to move back and forth between Resolve and other apps, like Path Finder and Firefox. So I can have Resolve in dual-screen mode, but don't have to be looking at Resolve on the second screen all the time.

On each monitor I have various Full Screen apps, each in their own Space, and on the main monitor and the right-hand monitor (portrait) I have some non-full-screen apps.

I find this setup to be super powerful and flexible. I can quickly move back and forth between full screen apps on a per-monitor basis, using either trackpad gestures or keyboard shortcuts. I also use third-party software called Total Spaces which adds some more options, like the ability to use a keyboard shortcut/trackpad gesture to "Go To Last Space".
Resolve Studio 17.4.2 and Fusion Studio 17.4.2 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Rodrigo Silvestri

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 12:53 pm

TheBloke wrote:Out of interest, why do you have this option enabled? I love "Displays have separate spaces" - it's one of the features that keeps me using macOS.

I guess I would use it differently if this were my main computer, but this is a Resolve suite running fullscreen Resolve 95% of the time and sometimes a browser or a Finder window. There is a separate suite for conforming remotely and I have my own laptop on the side.

The main reason why I disabled this feature originally was because I wanted to have a third monitor showing 100% scopes with no borders, and the macOS menu was bothering me there. Just aesthetics.

I need a machine in which I can work fast and these new details like moving the mouse to the page selector and mistakenly opening a random app are definitely not great for me. Of course I can also use keyboard shortcuts for this but I don't see a reason to remove features that are probably going to interrupt the flow of many users. But I believe these settings could coexist together (the Fullscreen mode could still be actionable from the Workspace menu and this new method could work with the green maximize button). I don't understand why they removed the Fullscreen mode option :(

R.

EDIT1: I just enabled "Displays have a separate space" and I noticed that while I'm in resolve I wanted to move a window from another display to the main display and the window doesn't move from one display to the other :s

afo_de

Re: Resolve 17.4 feature requests: Grab Still into Media Poo

PostMon Nov 01, 2021 6:54 pm

Thank you for your post, Rodrigo!
I'd like to add my feature request - with probably everyone who worked on putting a current frame as a still in the timeline (see other posts in the past):

If not a seperate button for grabbing a frame and putting it in the media pool please add at least in the Color Page with right click "grab still" an option for adding the still directly to the Media Pool (and not forcing the user to export and then import the still back into the project).

g3ntile

PostMon Nov 01, 2021 7:27 pm

Rodrigo Silvestri wrote:- New Fullscreen Mode: What I liked from the classic Fullscreen mode was the macOS Dock didn’t appear when moving the pointer to the bottom of the screen to switch pages. It is annoying to have to be “careful” with these clicks when trying to work fast :) Plus, the new fullscreen mode doesn’t work for multiple displays. I use 3 GUI displays. 2 for the interface and a smaller one for the scopes window. I have the “Displays have separate spaces” option disabled in macOS System Preferences so the menu bar only appears in one monitor. When I set Resolve to the new fullscreen mode, it puts the Primary display and the Scopes window on one macOS space, showing one monitor full black, and the Secondary display on a different macOS space. (Spaces are switched by pressing option + left or right arrow).

I totally second that the old Full Screen mode should be back as an option (I'm from Buenos Aires too, so maybe it's a Buenos Aires thing... ).
I work with 3, occasionally 4 monitors (2 for the interface, one for video clean feed, and one –ipad– for scopes. Now the menu bar is gone in fullscreen, until you mouse over the screen border for over a whole second. It totally interrupts my workflow.
The old full screen left the menu bar always on, and that was a clever solution I really appreciated (although the dock kept reappearing all the time, but that's apple's fault).

Also the thing with color page nodes pane. There should be some kind of "full node window" like in fusion. And another annoyance if color nodes is that they keep jumping around when you turn on and off the effects palette or resize it pane.

And I add one issue, very serious for me:
Fusion comps colors broken in Color managed projects. The Fusion colors are completely off.
The issue is very evident when combining some "native" generator effect and some "fusion" like Text and Text+ set to the same RGB value.
I tried many combinations of CSTs inside and outside Fusion but none worked.
There's some workarounds out ther that usually start with "don't use color management" and involve cumbersome roundtrips.
I think it's critical for a Color Grading suite like Resolve to manage colors out of Fusion comps in a predictable way.

And one (small) inconsistency:
when adjusting some numerical value by dragging, hitting Option (Alt) reduces the increment, giving more precision to the adjustment. But the now there's a new feature to to the same with audio volume on the track, but using shift...
And Fusion it's Command... I get that in Fusion it may be for backwards compatibility, but now that it's integrated maybe there should be an option to make workflow easier for people (like me) that switch back and forth from the edit page to fusion to add motion graphics to the timeline. As a former After Effects user, I value a lot the ability to place and edit MoG right in the edit page and switch to fusion in real time to edit them without re-renders, and with audio in sync. Having more unified keysets would be a true quality of life improvement.

I also use a wacom tablet, and can confirm that it behaves in an imprecise and unpredictable way, sometimes I try to click a field to type a number and slide it, sometimes I try to slide it just gets highlighted, and sometimes the field is like "sticked" to the pen and I cannot let it go, so every movement I make changes the value.

Thanks in advance to everyone at BM that always try to improve Davinci Resolve.

Return to DaVinci Resolve