Rec709 Kodak 2383 D60 lut

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dariusii

Rec709 Kodak 2383 D60 lut

PostFri Nov 26, 2021 11:28 am

Does somebody know, how to this lut was been created? (by Davici Resolve app, or with some other one)?
Can be replay it with Davinci Resolve?
The losers built Noah's ark. The professionals built the Titanic

Marc Wielage

Re: Rec709 Kodak 2383 D60 lut

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 5:36 am

It depends on where it came from. LUTs are specifically designed for a given color/gamma space input, so whatever they output and whether it works comes down to... to "it depends."

I've worked with film as a colorist for more than 40 years, so believe me when I say I know what film looks like. I'm very skeptical of a lot of so-called print LUTs, because to me a lot of them are just one guy's idea of what a print "might" look like. I concede they change the image and they are popular for some people, but often I think you can get very close to the same results by just using the color controls within Resolve. Still, I agree there are cases where LUTs are necessary, particularly for viewing Log cameras on set and for working with dailies in editorial, and for making sure groups of artists (like VFX people) are all seeing the same pictures for the same show.

Filmbox and Dehancer are 2 plug-ins that I think have value for film emulation, but you have to really experiment with the controls. And a lot depends on how the original material was shot. I don't think it really looks like a projected print, but... it can make digitally-acquired material look interesting sometimes.

And I'd also say that real color scientists can engineer something that's very much in the ballpark of kind of a film image. Those processes are generally not available to mere mortals. It's fair to say this is a large, very complex subject that's hard to explain in detail in a forum message. And the subject is obfuscated by a lot of yahoos who throw around LUTs all over the net, and a lot of them are absolute junk. There are some good ones: PixelTools's powergrades have some value, and Juan Melara's print emulation is very interesting and has a lot of thought behind it.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 6:36 am

So, you wouldn’t consider FilmConvert Nitrate?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

dariusii

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 8:53 am

>It depends on where it came from. LUTs are specifically designed for a given color/gamma space input, so whatever they output and whether it works comes down to... to "it depends."

..Under conditions.

I was interested to understand the principle of creating that lut - With the help of only Davinci, or with a large number of other points.
For example, I like how some shades of the processed image are removed or displaced, but I do not like some kind of haze in the "cyan" (When viewed in terms of complementary hue contrasty - not real cyan)) etc)., which cannot always be removed even by an adequate contrast enhancement. A kind of stereotypical cinematic.
In general, a very interesting lut. I try to "correct" that cinematic effect by installing another node behind it (At the end of the chain.), but this is not a lut reengineering to resolve instruments))) - why this question arose - is it possible to parse this file.
Hope dies last)))
The losers built Noah's ark. The professionals built the Titanic

Return to DaVinci Resolve