[super bug] How to cut the timeline?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BumbleBee

[super bug] How to cut the timeline?

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 3:28 am

Last time I never got an answer how to cut the timeline. On v. 16. I could cut ALL the tracks. But on v. 17. this changed...

So can anyone CUT/BLADE/RAZOR on ALL tracks in ONE cut...

In the video, you see it only cuts the AUDIO tracks and not the VIDEO. And if I use "selection follows playhead" then it is NOT following the playhead, when I start playing!

So what is the BEST way to cut ALL tracks in ONE cut?
Attachments
Skærmbillede 2021-11-27 kl. 04.30.31.png
Auto track selector - selected - not working
Skærmbillede 2021-11-27 kl. 04.30.31.png (335.38 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Skrmbillede_2021-11-27_kl._04.24.53_50.png
Skrmbillede_2021-11-27_kl._04.24.53_50.png (237.2 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
MacOS 14.3.1 / version 18.6.6 build 7 - M1
Or 10.14.6 - 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 - 32 GB Ram
GTX 680MX

roger.magnusson

Re: [super bug] How to CUT the timeline?

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 3:38 am

Not a bug. Cmd + B isn't working because you have disabled Auto Track Selector on the video track (at least in the YouTube clip). It's the icon in the track header to the right of the lock.

As an alternative, if you link the clips you can use the Blade Edit Mode instead (B) and cut using the mouse.
Last edited by roger.magnusson on Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

BumbleBee

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 3:41 am

roger.magnusson wrote:Not a bug. Cmd + B isn't working because you have disabled Auto Track Selector on the video track (at least in the YouTube clip). It's the icon in the track header to the right of the lock.

Still don't work when the auto track selector is on, as I said in the post.
GTX 680MX

roger.magnusson

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 3:44 am

That's odd. Can you post a video with the Auto Track Selector on and then hit Cmd + B? You didn't mention Auto Track Selector in the first post (only Selection Follows Playhead) so I'm not sure what you mean. Edit: Ah, it was hidden in the caption. :)

Do you need Selection Follows Playhead activated? That's what making it cut just the selected clips.

BumbleBee

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 4:04 am

roger.magnusson wrote:That's odd. Can you post a video with the Auto Track Selector on and then hit Cmd + B? You didn't mention Auto Track Selector in the first post (only Selection Follows Playhead) so I'm not sure what you mean. Edit: Ah, it was hidden in the caption. :)

Do you need Selection Follows Playhead activated? That's what making it cut just the selected clips.

When "auto track selector" is on track 1 and audio 1+2 it only cuts video 1 and audio 1. I have to press cut two times to cut audio 2.
GTX 680MX

Charles Bennett

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 9:52 am

In my Windows version Ctrl(Cmd) + B works across all tracks unless "Selection Follows Playhead" is selected. The same for Ctrl(Cmd + \ Split Clip. It makes no difference which track is highlighted in the header.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Andy Mees

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 10:31 am

Yep, same here, on Mac and Windows, the Razor and Split commands are working correctly per the targeting rules:

If there's an active selection under the playhead then only selected clips (on unlocked tracks) are cut.
If there's no selection under the playhead then all clips on Auto Track Selector targeted (unlocked) tracks are cut.

Assuming your Auto Track Selector is enabled for all tracks (which is the default state) then, if you are working with 'Selection Follows Playhead' active, to guarantee a cut across all unlocked tracks at the playhead (ie regardless of current selection) you need to either 'Select All' (Ctrl-A) or 'Deselect All' (Ctrl-Shift-A) before you cut.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

TheBloke

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 12:16 pm

Didn't Control/Cmd-\ and Control/Cmd-B used to operate differently with regard to selection? As in, one of them always cut through every track regardless of selection, and the other one obeyed selection. I remember we talked about it a few weeks ago.

Now they seem to be identical, which makes me think either this changed recently, or else why is there even two separate shortcuts/menu options?
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Andy Mees

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 2:29 pm

TheBloke wrote:Didn't Control/Cmd-\ and Control/Cmd-B used to operate differently with regard to selection?

Yep. it did come up not so long ago Tom (coincidentally, also in a post authored by a C. Meyer)... I pointed out it was the same function then too. Another forum dweller, Eryk, noted the difference is that Split is (also) a Color Page function, whereas Razor is not... I just checked and can confirm that 'Split' (Ctrl-\) works in Cut, Edit, Fairlight and Color, whilst 'Razor' (Ctrl-B) only works in Cut, Edit and Fairlight.
Last edited by Andy Mees on Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

BumbleBee

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 3:16 pm

[quote="Andy Mees"]

Looks like it is a problem with the file, and then it will NOT cut it since it is an mp3!
GTX 680MX

Charles Bennett

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 3:59 pm

When I did my test earlier I used mp3s in the timeline to match what you were doing. No problem cutting mp3 files. This is what MediaInfo says about them.
Attachments
MediaInfo MP3.jpg
MediaInfo MP3.jpg (93.65 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Howard Roll

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 4:22 pm

DR should copy FCP7 behavior with BB (multiblade tool) and be done with it. Then leave razor as the playhead specific operator. That there are still discussions about what should be a simple feature speak to it’s implementation and ease of use.

Good Luck

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 6:12 pm

Howard Roll wrote:DR should copy FCP7 behavior with BB (multiblade tool) and be done with it. Then leave razor as the playhead specific operator. That there are still discussions about what should be a simple feature speak to it’s implementation and ease of use.

Good Luck

No it should not.
Otherwise, why we dont make a frankistein monster where we copy all the function form FCP/premiere/avid/maya/Houdini/iMovie/handbrake/protools/audacity/nuke…….

I like nuke more than fusion, should we make fusion exactly like nuke?

Let resolve be its own program, with its own rules.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

BumbleBee

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 11:35 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Good Luck

I like nuke more than fusion, should we make fusion exactly like nuke?

Let resolve be its own program, with its own rules.[/quote]

BASIS things have to work SAME way. And if the program can't be BETTER than e.g. premiere pro, then I will not use it. It would just be better if Davinci was more perfect, so I only should have to work in that program, now I still need to edit in premiere pro and work with AE, since it is 10x easier for me to work fast in these programs.

Funny is that I am much better to use color grading in Davinci, and here it works more or less perfect, not many problems anymore since v. 17. AND getting much easier to hit the right color, that premiere pro can't or final cut will be able to do.
GTX 680MX

Andy Mees

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 12:59 am

waltervolpatto wrote:No it should not.

Agreed. There's no real issue here beyond new user orientation. That said, if BMD added an additional and explicit 'Razor All' function/keyboard binding option then it would be no skin off my nose.

BumbleBee

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 1:18 am

I think I maybe found some problem, why it does it.

When the "selection follows playhead" - I think it has some programming problems NOT selecting ALL tracks that are selected from "auto track selector" and this is what is making problems for me.
GTX 680MX

Marc Wielage

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 1:48 am

Howard Roll wrote:DR should copy FCP7 behavior with BB (multiblade tool) and be done with it.

For a lot of things, you have to forget the way other kinds of software worked and just wrap your head around Resolve and deal with it as it is. Be very Zen with it: go with the wind, bend a little bit, and don't break. (Or as Paul McCartney said, "the willow turns his back on inclement weather.")

For anybody new to Resolve editing, read the free textbook "The Editor’s Guide to DaVinci Resolve 17," available on Blackmagic's Training website:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

Cutting is very, very basic and covered in the first or second chapter. Take a few days to go through this book and you'll know 90% of it.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 2:23 am

Second that, see my sig.
And then, if you like FCP-X, which is a very efficient NLE, why not stick to it? As long as you have proper TC and reel/tape names, it'll play quite nicely with DR for grading.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Peter Cave

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 3:10 am

BumbleBee wrote:https://youtu.be/aQ6OjCZKT5s

I think I maybe found some problem, why it does it.

When the "selection follows playhead" - I think it has some programming problems NOT selecting ALL tracks that are selected from "auto track selector" and this is what is making problems for me.

Your video shows normal behaviour.
Selection Follows Playhead option selects the topmost video clip & it's linked audio, not all clips under the playhead.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Andy Mees

Re: [super bug] How to cut the timeline?

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 9:41 am

As others have said Claus, theres nothing going wrong here, you're just still misunderstanding how it works.

Again, if you want to cut across all tracks then a) ensure 'Auto Track Selector' is enabled on all tracks this should be your default set up) and b) either turn off 'Selection Follows Playhead' or Select/Deselect All before cutting.... with those settings the Razor/Split commands will cut across all tracks. If you're coming to Resolve from another app, and if you're planning to stay, its really worth your time getting familiar with the basics, theres no shame in learning how a new app works, no matter how proficient you may be with another.

BumbleBee

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 2:40 pm

Andy Mees wrote:As others have said Claus, theres nothing going wrong here, you're just still misunderstanding how it works.

Again, if you want to cut across all tracks then a) ensure 'Auto Track Selector' is enabled on all tracks this should be your default set up) and b) either turn off 'Selection Follows Playhead' or Select/Deselect All before cutting.... with those settings the Razor/Split commands will cut across all tracks. If you're coming to Resolve from another app, and if you're planning to stay, its really worth your time getting familiar with the basics, theres no shame in learning how a new app works, no matter how proficient you may be with another.

If I am an idiot!!! Then show me how to cut 4-5 tracks without "selection follows playhead" using ONLY the keyboard, so you delete the parts you dont need...!!!!
GTX 680MX

BumbleBee

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 2:48 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Howard Roll wrote:DR should copy FCP7 behavior with BB (multiblade tool) and be done with it.

For a lot of things, you have to forget the way other kinds of software worked and just wrap your head around Resolve and deal with it as it is. Be very Zen with it: go with the wind, bend a little bit, and don't break. (Or as Paul McCartney said, "the willow turns his back on inclement weather.")

For anybody new to Resolve editing, read the free textbook "The Editor’s Guide to DaVinci Resolve 17," available on Blackmagic's Training website:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

Cutting is very, very basic and covered in the first or second chapter. Take a few days to go through this book and you'll know 90% of it.

I am NOT stupid you know!!!! Please show me WITH ONLY THE USE of a keyboard, how you cut e.g. 2 video tracks and 4-5 audio track - you cut it 10 frames and then delete the tracks, so you dont have a hole in the timeline. (Because if "selection follows playhead" DONT select ALL tracks, then you can't do it, and this is the case here and it is only 3 tracks!) But please show me how you are doing the edit.
GTX 680MX

Andy Mees

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 3:51 pm

BumbleBee wrote:If I am an idiot!!! Then show me how to cut 4-5 tracks without "selection follows playhead" using ONLY the keyboard, so you delete the parts you dont need...!!!!

No worries. Make sure you have Auto Track Selector enabled on all tracks (audio and video) ... with nothing selected, use your transport controls to move the playhead to the cut point. Press Cmd B. Done.

BumbleBee wrote:I am NOT stupid you know!!!! Please show me WITH ONLY THE USE of a keyboard, how you cut e.g. 2 video tracks and 4-5 audio track - you cut it 10 frames and then delete the tracks, so you dont have a hole in the timeline.

If you are trying to ripple delete 10 frames from your timeline across all tracks, then as above, make sure you have Auto Track Selector enabled on all tracks (audio and video) ... with nothing selected, use your transport controls to move the playhead to the in point for the cut, press I (Mark In), move ahead 10 frames to the out point for the cut, and press O (Mark Out), press Shift Backspace (Ripple Delete). Done.

BumbleBee

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 6:07 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
BumbleBee wrote:If I am an idiot!!! Then show me how to cut 4-5 tracks without "selection follows playhead" using ONLY the keyboard, so you delete the parts you dont need...!!!!

No worries. Make sure you have Auto Track Selector enabled on all tracks (audio and video) ... with nothing selected, use your transport controls to move the playhead to the cut point. Press Cmd B. Done.

BumbleBee wrote:I am NOT stupid you know!!!! Please show me WITH ONLY THE USE of a keyboard, how you cut e.g. 2 video tracks and 4-5 audio track - you cut it 10 frames and then delete the tracks, so you dont have a hole in the timeline.

If you are trying to ripple delete 10 frames from your timeline across all tracks, then as above, make sure you have Auto Track Selector enabled on all tracks (audio and video) ... with nothing selected, use your transport controls to move the playhead to the in point for the cut, press I (Mark In), move ahead 10 frames to the out point for the cut, and press O (Mark Out), press Shift Backspace (Ripple Delete). Done.

I already show this in the video, that what you are saying is NOT working!!!! Why do you think I wrote this post! You can see in the video, that some of the 2nd tracks is NOT selected, and therefore you cant delete it!
GTX 680MX

Andy Mees

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 6:54 pm

I think we have a communication breakdown Claus. You're repeatedly not understanding the explanation of why its not working and the instructions on how to make it work ... instead you're just repeating the same mistakes over and over again. I'm truly sorry. This would take less than a minute to show you in person.

Last time then.
Step 1) turn OFF selection follows playhead.
Step 2) move your playhead over the edit point.
Step 3) look carefully... nothing is selected right? because you turned that off, right?
Step 4) press Cmd B... because nothing is selected the cut is applied to all tracks with Auto Track Selection enabled.

Alternative version (for if you need to work with Selection Follows Playhead active during this action)
Step 1) move your playhead over the edit point.
Step 2) press Cmd A (Select All)
Step 3) press Cmd B... because everything was selected the cut is applied to all tracks.

Yet another version (for if you need to work with Selection Follows Playhead active during this action and also only want to target 'Auto Track Selection' tracks)
Step 2) press Cmd-Shift-A (Deselect All)
Step 3) press Cmd B... because nothing is selected the cut is applied to all tracks with Auto Track Selection enabled.

BumbleBee

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 8:27 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
Alternative version (for if you need to work with Selection Follows Playhead active during this action)
Step 2) press Cmd A (Select All)
Step 3) press Cmd B... because everything was selected the cut is applied to all tracks.

Thanks, really nice to get it in steps :D

BUT this is a BUG since I shouldnt do STEP 2, to edit it should automatic select ALL the tracks I have on auto selected to the left. I wunder how this works on "speed editor keyboard", is there a "select all tracks"?
GTX 680MX

Andy Mees

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 8:50 pm

BumbleBee wrote:BUT this is a BUG since I shouldnt do STEP 2, to edit it should automatic select ALL the tracks I have on auto selected to the left.

Nope, it's not a bug when a feature (Selection Follows Playhead) is working exactly as designed, even if you really wish it wasn't designed that way. You could could file a Feature Request tho? You could maybe ask for a User Preference that allowed to choose whether Selection Follows Playhead selects the highest Auto Track Selector targeted track (and any linked item, when 'Linked Selection' is enabled) or whether it selects all Auto Track Selector targeted tracks regardless of level.
Link to the Feature Request subforum is here : https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewforum.php?f=33

panos_mts

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 8:59 pm

There is already a feature request for this here
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=119330

BumbleBee

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 pm

panos_mts wrote:There is already a feature request for this here
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=119330

yeah, he thinks same way... thanks :D
GTX 680MX

Return to DaVinci Resolve