render cache with CPU or GPU

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cris cros

render cache with CPU or GPU

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 11:06 am

Hi,

does davinci resolve use cpu or gpu for rendering cache ?

tks

Jason Conrad

Re: render cache with CPU or GPU

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 11:19 am

That’s like asking does the hard drive use cpu or gpu.

It’ll use whichever it needs to use. The cache is just where the answer gets stored.

The type of effects you have applied to clips will affect whether the GPU or CPU gets used more. The type of footage you’re decoding may also have an impact, but the cache is downstream from the intensive processing, and so won’t influence the method Resolve uses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

cris cros

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 11:49 am

i have two different effects i want to cache
Neat video and Automatic Dirt removal.

i'm asking how DR cache this effects ?

Steve Alexander

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 12:43 pm

cris cros wrote:i have two different effects i want to cache
Neat video and Automatic Dirt removal.

i'm asking how DR cache this effects ?

Resolve would use a combination of CPU and GPU. Some effects rely more heavily on GPU. It also depends on whether there are other bottlenecks in your system that would prevent one or the other from running full-out, I suppose.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

TheBloke

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 1:31 pm

Whether Neat Video uses CPU or GPU is down to your settings in Neat Video - nothing to do with Resolve. In Neat Video you should open Tools -> Preferences -> Performance -> Optimize Settings and run a benchmark to confirm whether it is better to use CPU or GPU on your system:

Automatic Dirt Removal is a GPU accelerated effect, and will use lots of GPU plus a small amount of CPU.

Different effects use CPU or GPU according to how they are designed. Pretty much all Resolve effects (ResolveFX) will use GPU, with minimal CPU usage. GPU is the bottleneck for those.

Third party OFX depends on how that developer created them - some are mostly CPU, some are most GPU, some are a mix. And some, like Neat Video, allow you to choose.

As others have said, render cache doesn't affect this. Render cache is the process of writing the result of effects to disk, so that next time you play those frames, the effects don't have to run again (until you change something). The process of writing Render Cache frames will use a tiny amount of extra CPU, to encode those frames (unless you choose an Uncompressed render cache codec). But it is a very small amount, probably not even noticeable.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Return to DaVinci Resolve