About DaVinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Cavalcante2000

About DaVinci Resolve

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 7:40 pm

Good afternoon, I'm having two problems with DaVinci, O First, when I go to load a projector in the Project Manager it doesn't want to load, it gets a maximum of 3 videos one at a time and it loads, when it goes beyond that it doesn't I opened other videos, O Segundo, I made a new folder today and took my videos and put them in this folder and my videos are gone, if anyone can tell me why these problems and help me I will be very grateful !!

I like this Software a lot but I am getting disappointed with some simple problems happening in it, this Software is too big to give these simple problems.

My version of DaVinci Resolve is - 17.4.2 - Windows 10 Pro operating system - x64 bit - _All up to date - AMD Ryzen 5 - 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics Card - 32GB of Ram - Graphics Card: AMD Radeon (TM) RX Vega 11 Graphics

Cavalcante2000

Re: About DaVinci Resolve

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 9:09 pm

Can someone help me ?

My version of DaVinci Resolve is - 17.4.2 - Windows 10 Pro operating system - x64 bit - _All up to date - AMD Ryzen 5 - 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics Card - 32GB of Ram - Graphics Card: AMD Radeon (TM) RX Vega 11 Graphics
Last edited by Cavalcante2000 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Mees

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 9:18 pm

Apologies Vitor, I don't think I quite understand your questions... the English translation is a little unclear for me and there is not enough detail to diagnose the problem. Can you post your questions again but in your native language and with much much more detail? Hopefully someone can help you.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Cavalcante2000

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 9:30 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Apologies Vitor, I don't think I quite understand your questions... the English translation is a little unclear for me and there is not enough detail to diagnose the problem. Can you post your questions again but in your native language and with much much more detail? Hopefully someone can help you.

It's easier for you to tell me your native language and I'll report it in it

Andy Mees

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 9:34 pm

Haha... well my language is English, Vitor ... thats why I asked you to post in your own, because the first post is already in English but the problem is not clearly described. Perhaps, if not in your own language (Spanish/Portuguese?) then just repost again in English but with much more specific detail.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Cavalcante2000

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 9:39 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Haha... well my language is English, Vitor ... thats why I asked you to post in your own, because the first post is already in English but the problem is not clearly described. Perhaps, if not in your own language (Spanish/Portuguese?) then just repost again in English but with much more specific detail.

Ata kkkk I thought it wasn't English, my native language is Portuguese, I'll report the problems in Portuguese and post

Cavalcante2000

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 10:09 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Haha... well my language is English, Vitor ... thats why I asked you to post in your own, because the first post is already in English but the problem is not clearly described. Perhaps, if not in your own language (Spanish/Portuguese?) then just repost again in English but with much more specific detail.

Então os problemas são os seguintes o primeiro quando eu vou editar um vídeo ele fica aparecendo a mensagem: critical error saving project, qualquer vídeo que eu vou editar aparece isso, eu já fiz um monte de de "Folder" e copie e coloquei os vídeos achando que era o "Folder" e não adiantou, essa mensagem fica aparecendo toda hora, vou dar um exemplo, agora eu estou tentando fazer um texto 3D e não estou conseguindo normalmente essa mensagem aparece quando você editar um projeto do tipo "drt" e se você renomear ai aparece essa mensagem, no meu caso está aparecendo e em quase todos os projetos que eu vou fazer. Outro problema que está acontecendo é que tem vez que ele não não quer abrir meus vídeos ele não carrega, outro problema quando vou criar um projeto novo a caixinha não aparece, ele não criar um projeto novo, outro problema quando eu vou fechar ele, ele não fecha, o DaVinci tão muito estranho ultimamente, e ele é um software muito grande para acontecer essas coisas, é uma pena isso :((

Minha versão do DaVinci Resolve é - 17.4.2 - sistema operacional Windows 10 Pro - x64 bit - _Tudo atualizado - AMD Ryzen 5 - 2400G com placa de vídeo Radeon Vega - 32 GB de Ram - Placa de vídeo: placa de vídeo AMD Radeon (TM) RX Vega 11

Andy Mees

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 11:25 pm

So, for anyone reading, a quick Google Translate of Vitor's issue is as below:
So the problems are as follows: the first when I go to edit a video it keeps showing the message: critical error saving project, any video I'm going to edit appears like this, I've already done a bunch of "Folders" and copy and put the videos thinking it was the "Folder" and it didn't work, this message keeps appearing all the time, I'll give you an example, now I'm trying to make a 3D text and I'm not getting it normally this message appears when you edit a project like "drt" and if you rename there this message appears, in my case it's appearing and in almost all the projects I'm going to do. Another problem that's happening is that sometimes it doesn't want to open my videos it doesn't load, another problem when I'm going to create a new project the box doesn't appear, it doesn't create a new project, another problem when I'm going to close it, it it doesn't close, DaVinci so very weird lately, and it's too big a software to make these things happen, it's too bad :((

Hey Vitor

It sounds like you might have some database corruption. I only once received the 'Critical Error Saving Project' but this only happened to me under very specific circumstances (explained below) but I have never seen any of these other problems you mention, and I've been working on multiple complex projects on both Mac and Windows systems. Have you tried to create a new database yet, and see if that is more stable? I've added a screenshot below that show where to find the 'new database' button.
Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 23.14.10.png
Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 23.14.10.png (459.79 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

For reference, when I received the "critical error" message I was using 'Dynamic Project Switching' to copy and paste a sequence from a backup project into the active project... the source sequence contained various edited multicam clips, compound clips and nests, all of which already existed in the target project, but when I pasted the sequence I received the 'critical error' message and the project would no longer save. The solution in my case was to export and import using a DRT (instead of copy paste) but that doesn't sound like your problem.

Try making a new database, see if that works. Reply with your results.

Cheers
Andy

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 2:14 am

Please check your file structure first, you may have some general media corruption.
If you have an empty drive around, do a fresh format (no exFAT!) and move some video clips there.
Then make a fresh disk database in Resolve on that same disk. If that works, you’ll need to repair your system. If not, make an error log and a NFO and post these as described in the FAQs.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Cavalcante2000

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 2:17 am

Andy Mees wrote:So, for anyone reading, a quick Google Translate of Vitor's issue is as below:
So the problems are as follows: the first when I go to edit a video it keeps showing the message: critical error saving project, any video I'm going to edit appears like this, I've already done a bunch of "Folders" and copy and put the videos thinking it was the "Folder" and it didn't work, this message keeps appearing all the time, I'll give you an example, now I'm trying to make a 3D text and I'm not getting it normally this message appears when you edit a project like "drt" and if you rename there this message appears, in my case it's appearing and in almost all the projects I'm going to do. Another problem that's happening is that sometimes it doesn't want to open my videos it doesn't load, another problem when I'm going to create a new project the box doesn't appear, it doesn't create a new project, another problem when I'm going to close it, it it doesn't close, DaVinci so very weird lately, and it's too big a software to make these things happen, it's too bad :((

Hey Vitor

It sounds like you might have some database corruption. I only once received the 'Critical Error Saving Project' but this only happened to me under very specific circumstances (explained below) but I have never seen any of these other problems you mention, and I've been working on multiple complex projects on both Mac and Windows systems. Have you tried to create a new database yet, and see if that is more stable? I've added a screenshot below that show where to find the 'new database' button.
Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 23.14.10.png

For reference, when I received the "critical error" message I was using 'Dynamic Project Switching' to copy and paste a sequence from a backup project into the active project... the source sequence contained various edited multicam clips, compound clips and nests, all of which already existed in the target project, but when I pasted the sequence I received the 'critical error' message and the project would no longer save. The solution in my case was to export and import using a DRT (instead of copy paste) but that doesn't sound like your problem.

Try making a new database, see if that works. Reply with your results.

Cheers
Andy

I did what you told me, apparently it worked, I was making a 3D text and being able to compose the text, before it wouldn't let me, I made a backup of my projects and then I restored it to my HD, before my database was on my SSD, now I put it on my HD, I think I deleted something important related to my database that I used before, I think I deleted it by mistake, I really appreciate your help, I was very sad because I wasn't able to do the exercise in my course, I really appreciate it, It's a shame that now I'm going to take a step back with DaVinci every hour there's a simple problem with him kkk

Thanks for your help !!

Happiness to you too !!

Vitor Cavalcante !!

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 2:31 am

I’d suggest to keep your database on a disk or SSD that is permanently connected to your system.
Do a project export every few hours and a database export at least once a week to another storage.
Your video clips can reside on any external storage that supports the data rate of your sources reliably.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Cavalcante2000

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 8:19 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I’d suggest to keep your database on a disk or SSD that is permanently connected to your system.
Do a project export every few hours and a database export at least once a week to another storage.
Your video clips can reside on any external storage that supports the data rate of your sources reliably.

Understand. For now I'll leave it like this, connected to my internal HD, it's always connected to my system, the old database I used is still on my SSD, I won't delete it, I'll leave it there

Thanks for the tip, thanks !!

Uli Plank

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 1:47 am

This is something I wrote up for my students when they start working in Resolve:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9i3x06004w0jp ... d.pdf?dl=0

Return to DaVinci Resolve