HDR Davinci Wide Gamut Intermediate vs Davinci Wide Gamut

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

nerdrager

HDR Davinci Wide Gamut Intermediate vs Davinci Wide Gamut

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 2:37 pm

Hey,

is HDR Davinci Wide Gamut Intermediate the exact same as Davinci Wide Gamut? I'm on 17.4.2 and through Davinci YRGB Color Managed as chosen alternative I don't have an option for Davinci Wide Gamut like in the past. Seems weird to me to change the name if it's the same, any info to help clarify would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

nerdrager

Re: HDR Davinci Wide Gamut Intermediate vs Davinci Wide Gamu

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 3:43 pm

Does nobody know?

DavidAR

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 4:18 pm

In the ofx colorspacetransform they use it to differentiate between colorspace and gamma.

In project settings you can check “custom” to have all choices.
Last edited by DavidAR on Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COLORIST
www.davidavecilla.com

nerdrager

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 6:21 pm

DavidAR wrote:In the ofx colorspacetransform they use it to differentiate between colorspace and gamma.

In project settings you can check “custom” to have all choices.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

So, does that mean it's the same? Sorry, I don't follow. I'm not doing the custom mode.

Igor Riđanović

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 10:36 pm

They are not the same. DWG is a colorspace. The WGI is an OETF.

The naming of the WGI is a little unclear, but when you see these labels in the context of the color management setup it's all clear.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

shebbe

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 11:48 am

The HDR preset DaVinci Wide Gamut/Intermediate creates a working colorspace with DaVinci Wide Gamut and a log transfer function DaVinci Intermediate.
The timeline luminance mapping is up to 4000 nits.

The HDR preset Rec.2020 Intermediate is the same gamma but uses Rec.2020 primaries instead and a timeline luminance of 1000 nits.

In theory you want to work in a larger than output container and preferably a commonly known working space so DaVinci Wide Gamut / Intermediate makes more sense but both can deliver the same HDR output for a 1000nit rec.2020 file.

If you want to know what the presets are comprised of you can select them and then switch the preset to custom. It will show whatever that preset uses as timeline.

nerdrager wrote:I'm on 17.4.2 and through Davinci YRGB Color Managed as chosen alternative I don't have an option for Davinci Wide Gamut like in the past. Seems weird to me to change the name if it's the same, any info to help clarify would be much appreciated.

This is most likely to clear up it's setting as there is always a color space and a gamma curve. So the preset is still the same but now noted with both components.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Return to DaVinci Resolve