Resolve Bugs please

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sam Shiller

Resolve Bugs please

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 5:45 pm

Hi I'm new here and don't know where to write. Hope to works well.
Your 17 is so awful in details so I would like to see several fixes if possible.

My bug fixing requests:

1. Will you get back Full Screen Mode. It's absolutely impossible to work without this feature.
2. Please be so kind to get back ability to watch media files in Media Manager WITOUT Color Management Settings. When I switch on ACES and set IDT Alexa and ODT REc.709 all files in media management are showing with this transformation. This is so stupid. To check my Rec.709 render I ought to switch mode for YRGB each time. Painful...
3. Can you PLEASE get back Shilt+Scroll for Editing Page. Its totally inconvenient to scroll timeline with Cmd button. Incredibly useless "new feature".
4. Can you lease get back ability to cmd+- and cmd++ for Delivery page to zoom in and zoom out?
5. Can you please get back ability to move with keyboard arrows while writing a name in delivery page. Now it completely stupidly working via screen sharing it works well but in direct mode it goes back and forth on timeline from frame to frame. Why is this so? I cannot imagine...

These are some basic things I would like to see fixed. OF COURSE IF IT'S POSSIBLE.
Last edited by Sam Shiller on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Shiller

Re: Resolve Bugs please

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 2:31 pm

PLEASE GET BACK 'Full Screen' Mode in its previous way of usage. PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASEEEEEEE!!!!

And please, could you please fix this one as well. When I have about 12 nodes it's extremely inconvenient to FIND where is right node. Cause it can be absolutely anywhere. This is totally useless and even wrong direction.

Will you be so kind?
Attachments
Up.png
The order of Node Numbers
Up.png (12.75 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
Last edited by Sam Shiller on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 2:04 am

Sam Shiller wrote:Your 17 is so awful in details so I would like to see several fixes if possible.

That's a lot of requests! I'm not BMD support, but I'll tell you what I know:

1. Will you get back Full Screen Mode. It's absolutely impossible to work without this feature.

It's still there -- I use it all the time. Workspace -> Viewer Mode -> Cinema Viewer / Enhanced Viewer / Full Page Viewer are all still there. You can use Keyboard Customization to use any commands you want to bring up those modes. If you have a control panel, some have dedicated buttons for Full-Screen Mode.

2. Please be so kind to get back ability to watch media files in Media Manager WITOUT Color Management Settings. When I switch on ACES and set IDT Alexa and ODT REc.709 all files in media management are showing with this transformation. This is so stupid. To check my Rec.709 render I ought to switch mode for YRGB each time. Painful...

I generally avoid ACES and use node-based color management with CST nodes. When I have to use color management, I generally rely on Resolve Color Management (RCM2), and I can bypass color management on any clip (even multiple clips) in the timeline. I'm not sure if you can bypass color management for ACES or not -- that'd be worth a test.

4. Can you lease get back ability to cmd+- and cmd++ for Delivery page to zoom in and zoom out?

That works for me now. Click on the Deliver page timeline, and command -/+ will make the timeline bigger or smaller. Click on the Viewer, and command -/+ makes the View screen bigger or smaller. There is a logic to it.

5. Can you please get back ability to move with keyboard arrows while writing a name in delivery page. Now it completely stupidly working via screen sharing it works well but in direct mode it goes back and forth on timeline from frame to frame. Why is this so? I cannot imagine...

I agree there are some quirks with file naming, and I've also seen issues with the arrow keys. My big beef with some File menus within Resolve is that you can't always paste file names (particularly with Scene Detect EDL files).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

TCP786

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 2:11 am

Sam Shiller wrote:3. Can you PLEASE get back Shilt+Scroll for Editing Page. Its totally inconvenient to scroll timeline with Cmd button. Incredibly useless "new feature".

Even better, mouse operations and their keyboard modifiers should be included in the keyboard shortcut customization menu. For example, if you're used to Photoshop, you should be able to change middle mouse click and drag to spacebar + left click and drag for navigating node trees, timelines, and viewers (I personally would hate this, but hey, that's what options are for).

Sam Shiller

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 3:57 pm

PLEASE GET BACK 'Full Screen' Mode in its previous way of usage. PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASEEEEEEE!!!!

Sam Shiller

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:02 pm

Last edited by Sam Shiller on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Shiller

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:12 pm

Last edited by Sam Shiller on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Shiller

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:16 pm

TCP786

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 6:51 pm

Hey Sam, I just want to mention something.

Unfortunately, even though I too have only been a part of this forum for a short time, I have definitely seen people be rude to others for asking certain questions or being condescending to someone else's lack of knowledge. However I am very confident that Marc's response was not one of these cases. His suggestions might seem asinine to you when you've had your personal workflow down to a science since version 12.5.6, but I really don't think he was trying in any way to say that your methods aren't valid. I genuinely think he was offering up suggestions that just don't work for you, but I don't think he meant it in any kind of antagonistic way.

Most of us are here because we want to make awesome art, and some of us are also here because we want to help others do the same, but the people who are only here because they want to make your day worse are going to be much more straightforward about it.

Sam Shiller

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 1:39 pm

TheBloke

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 2:38 pm

Sam Shiller wrote:1. Will you get back Full Screen Mode. It's absolutely impossible to work without this feature.
This changed in 17.4 when they implemented macOS Native Full Screen. It's quite possible it will never come back. Can't you live with maximising the window and hiding the Dock (or moving it to another monitor?) That's how I always work, and it works great for me:

Image (click for larger)

Sam Shiller wrote:3. Can you PLEASE get back Shilt+Scroll for Editing Page. Its totally inconvenient to scroll timeline with Cmd button. Incredibly useless "new feature".
Shift + scroll up/down will make the tracks bigger/smaller. If you want to zoom in/out it's Option + scroll up/down. Is that not working for you? Or what behaviour were you expecting instead? I wasn't aware this had changed anytime recently.

To scroll timeline left/right, turn on View -> "Enable 2D Timeline Scroll" and then it's two fingers left/right on trackpad to scroll the timeline left/right. If you're on a mouse, I'm not sure how it's done - mouse wheel I guess.

Here's a demo of me using Shift + scroll to make tracks bigger/smaller, then Option + scroll to zoom in/out, and then two fingers left/right to move timeline left/right. In what way is this changed / not working right for you?

Sam Shiller wrote:4. Can you lease get back ability to cmd+- and cmd++ for Delivery page to zoom in and zoom out?
Cmd and +/- works fine to zoom in/out for me on Cut, Edit, Fairlight and Deliver. Have you changed your keyboard customisation somehow? If it's configured like the below and it doesn't work, then yes that sounds like a bug:

Sam Shiller wrote:5. Can you please get back ability to move with keyboard arrows while writing a name in delivery page. Now it completely stupidly working via screen sharing it works well but in direct mode it goes back and forth on timeline from frame to frame. Why is this so? I cannot imagine...
What do you mean "Move by arrows"? Your left/right arrows are not working in the Delivery filename etc fields? Again, these work fine for me. As well as left/right arrow key, you can use Control-A to go to the start of the field, Control-E for end of field, TAB for next field, and Shift-TAB for previous field:

From a few of the things you've said I'm wondering if your keyboard shortcuts are messed up somehow. Maybe you should try resetting them to default?

If you're still having problems I recommend you report bugs by posting one per thread, and then clearly demonstrate the problem, including screenshots / screen recording as necessary to show the issue, and including your logs. See the FAQ for details of what to provide and how.

If you're a Studio user you can also report bugs by contacting BMD support direct - details of that are also in the FAQ.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Sam Shiller

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 5:58 pm

Last edited by Sam Shiller on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sam Shiller

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 6:04 pm

Last edited by Sam Shiller on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sam Shiller

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 6:11 pm

Last edited by Sam Shiller on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Shiller

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 6:16 pm

Last edited by Sam Shiller on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBloke

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 6:23 pm

Sam Shiller wrote:Now press ****+arrow (left or right) and try to select a text
I assume you mean shift+left/right arrow?

True, this doesn't work. But Control+Shift+left/right does, which selects back/forward a word. Or Control+Shift+A or Control+Shift+E to select to start/end of line.

Sam Shiller wrote:I don't know why so many people try to teach me keyboard customization, color management etc. It's not my first day in resolve.
This is what happens when you give inadequate bug reports. You said "arrow keys do not work in Deliver" - so I showed you they DO work. You actually meant they do won't in one specific case, with arrow keys and shift held, which you only specified just now. Same with the Cmd+ -/+ zoom, etc - it does work in Deliver, but now you are adding that it doesn't work during a render.

If you want anyone to look at your bug reports, you need to include all information, and ideally a screen recording or screen shots (as appropriate) to demonstrate it. Otherwise BMD will just say "we can't reproduce this."
Sam Shiller wrote:I address my messages to Blackmagic Support because they don't have any other way to accept messages and bug reports.
FAQ thread explaining how to get support: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

Support site with three methods to contact BMD, only one of which is this forum: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

I suggest you email or phone BMD directly.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Sam Shiller

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 6:40 pm

Last edited by Sam Shiller on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Shiller

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 6:43 pm

Sam Shiller

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 11:50 pm

My bug fixing requests:

1. Will you get back Full Screen Mode as it worked before without silly and suddenly appearing MacOS Menu Bar while navigating to OFX menu or all upper line feature of resolve and with ability to cmd+h command for hiding resolve app. It's almost absolutely impossible to work without this 'Full Screen' feature.

BEGGING YOU! ASKING YOU! ASKING THE UNIVERSE AND ALL THE GODS! OBLIGING YOU AND ALL YOUR BMD COMPANY FROM THE HEAD TO EVEN A MAIDEN ON A KITCHEN WHEN YOU HAVING LUNCH! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! FULL SCREEN - MOST WISHED! PLEASE!!!!!!!

2. Please be so kind to get back ability to watch media files in Media Storage WITHOUT Color Management Settings. When I switch on ACES and set IDT Alexa and ODT REc.709 all files in media management are showing with this transformation. This is so stupid. To check my Rec.709 render I ought to switch mode for YRGB each time. Painful... Make please Media Storage as like bypass in ACES.

3. Can you PLEASE get back Shift+Scroll for Editing Page to scroll back and forth through the timeline. Its totally inconvenient to scroll timeline with Cmd button. Incredibly useless "new feature". Or please make it selectable. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLESAE PLEASE PLESAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Can you please get back ability to cmd+- and cmd++ for Delivery page to zoom in and zoom out the timeline (not preview) while rendering?

AND! PLEASE!

5. For delivery page will you get back normal reaction for shift + arrows to select text while filling the filename field. This is really NOT NORMAL to move among letters with arrows but holding shift it starts to move back and forth on timeline but doesn't select a text. Dunno you really test your program before to release?

These are some basic things I would like to see fixed. OF COURSE IF IT'S POSSIBLE.

Return to DaVinci Resolve