Best way of rendering HD to SD for DVD (PAL) authoring

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

godzich

Best way of rendering HD to SD for DVD (PAL) authoring

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 3:42 pm

Hi,

Someone must have tackled this before and found a good working high-quality solution. To find out this from scratch would require lots of experimenting, therefore I turn to you - the experienced and helpful fellow forum members.

First, I am not looking for a DVD authoring program. I am just looking for the best render option for how to export the material to the authoring program (DVD-Architect from Sony). I want to avoid another quality compromising unnecessary decode-encode process during the authoring.

The clips on my timeline are 1920x1080p 25fps (XCAM 10-bit) files with 1:1 ratio pixels. The project and timeline are set to the same resolution and fps.

The DVD's will be SD (720x576) 50i, with a pixel ratio of 1.33:1 (to keep the widescreen format). Sadly the DVD (PAL) format does not support progressive video...

From the DVDA's manual, I can read the following. "If you're rendering with a different application (other than Vegas), the following setting will produce a compliant PAL MPEG-2 video stream:
704x576, 25 fps, 4:3, 30 max GOP, 9.8 Mbps max bitrate. If you're rendering with a different encoder, ensure Low Delay is turned off.
"

The audio must probably also be rendered separately, either as AC-3 or PCM.

Considering all parameters; required file format (MPEG- 2), limited bit rate of 9.3Mbit/s, 25p conversion to 50i, pixel aspect ratio conversion, as well as the colour spaces - what should the export format be to keep the best image quality? Would it be necessary to filter (blur) the original video somehow, not to cause a too sharp end result - that might create visible pixel edges or other artefacts in the PAL SD video? And is the interlacing and issue when going from 25p to 50i?

Additionally, the 704 horizontal pixels equals a 1.3636:1 pixel aspect ratio? Shouldn't I render out 720x576 to get 1.333:1 pixel ratio, which one is correct? I remember that the picture aspect ratios differ between widescreen HD and SD. Would be nice to convert in one pass so that there are no black borders after the conversion. And what does that "low delay must be off" refer to?

Too many parameters... Thanks in advance for your insights into this problem. Cannot avoid this DVD export need, some people still want optical discs...

Cheers,

Christian
WIN10 Pro 64-bit|DRS 18.6.6
CPU i9-7940X 14-core@4.1GHz|64GB DDR4@XMP3600|ASUS X299M1 MOBO
M2 1TB (system) | 2x1TB HDD(scratchpad) |1TB SSD cache
ASUS GTX3080Ti (12G GBDDR) 551.61 driver (4screens)
IntensityPro 4K+monitor
ASUS 10GE NIC+Ext.64TB NAS

Peter Cave

Re: Best way of rendering HD to SD for DVD (PAL) authoring

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 5:28 am

" I want to avoid another quality compromising unnecessary decode-encode process during the authoring."

I would not worry. With standard definition DVD format you will not see any losses.
I would output from Resolve in a high quality codec and use your authoring program to do the encoding as it is much easier and visually identical.

You will need to check the TS encoding format that the DVD specification uses as there is no room for error if you want to encode a TS file.

On Mac I use Compressor to encode for DVD TS. There may be Windows equivalents.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Robert Niessner

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 9:01 am

DVD Format does support progressive video.
I’ve authored many commercial DVDs with DVD Architect that way.

The pixel ratio of 1.333 is for 4:3 video, you want anamorphic widescreen with 1.45869.

If you want the correct scaling for SD, you have to crop the top and bottom of your HD footage by 14 pixel each and then downscale to 720x576 widescreen. This will give the correct aspect ratio.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 11:44 am

DVD doesn't support progressive streams.
Progressive sources can be (and most are) encoded keeping progressive nature, but stream has to be flagged as interlaced. Progressively flagged stream is out of spec and any authoring tool which respect spec will reject it. Good DVD encoders use such a technique by default, with some you have to set them this way.
If your player/TV is intelligent it will detect progressive nature and at the end all will be good. If not it will start deinterlacing and mess with it, but this is out of your control.

704x576 requirement comes from PAL spec (analog transmission) where few sides lines were not used as active video. Problem is that many current TVs don't respect this old standard, but rather use all 720 active lines. If you use old analog TV then correct setting is 704, but who has analog TV anymore?

If you do insist on 704 lines you simply scale HD to 704 horizontally and add 8 black pixel one the side. Resolve doesn't do it by auto, but for example Premiere does.
It has been discussed here in details. Broadcast people will tell you to use 704, but I don't agree as based on my tests with current TVs 704 produces wrong result (TVs use math based on 720 active lines). I tested only few TVs, maybe some use math base don 704 lines.
At the end your aspect can be wrong just slightly and no one will really notice it.
I would stick with 720 lines (probably more than 70% DVDs are most likely done this way).

Resolve won't create you streams for DVD authoring anyway. It just doesn't support it. You need to render intermediate master and use 3rd party app.

Any intermediate codec (ProResHQ, DNxHR HQX etc.) will be more than enough not to introduce in final m2v files visible quality loss, but you want to waste disk space you can always render 8/10 bit uncompressed YUV files as intermediate step. Your final m2v file will be flagged as 16x9, not 4x3. If your HD source is "sharp" you need to do low pass filtering or you will get flickering on some playback system (depending how they process stream). You can add tiny vertical blur on final footage as well. I use to have special technique in avisynth to avoid this issue, but you can do it in many ways. Crazy sharp DVD stream in nothing that desired. You can simply try softer scaling setting in Resolve. Color space should be converted from 709 to 601 (which is in Resolve under SMPTE C setting I think) as well.

Robert Niessner

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 1:26 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:DVD doesn't support progressive streams.
Progressive sources can be (and most are) encoded keeping progressive nature, but stream has to be flagged as interlaced. Progressively flagged stream is out of spec and any authoring tool which respect spec will reject it. Good DVD encoders use such a technique by default, with some you have to set them this way.

Can you show me where in the specs of DVD-Video it says you can't use progressively flagged streams?

I haven't found a direct link to the specs, but this detail article says there are several ways to flag allowed:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/technical/t ... -scan-dvd/

In DVD-Architect you would create a PAL DVD with the preset MPEG-2 720x576-50i, 16:9 (PAL).
After importing the progressively encoded video make sure it will read as progressive scan in its media properties. That's it, everything else will be handled by the authoring tool.

In 15 years of creating commercial DVDs I had not once a project rejected during the glass mastering process conform.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 2:06 pm

It's in the spec and also confirmed by 'DVD guru'
But if you read Jim Taylor's DVD Demystified FAQ he discusses it and in section 3.4 he states that progressive sequence (prog_sequence=true) is not allowed for DVD, but you can have progress frames (prog_frames=true) within an interlaced sequence, which is of course how most DVDs are made.

Possible flags:
Progressive sequence
1 - Indicates only progressive pictures are present.
0 - Indicates both frame and field pictures may be present, and frame pictures may be progressive or interlaced.
For the SVCD standard, this value must be 0.

Top field first
If progressive_sequence == 0, this bit indicates what field is output first by the decoder.
In a field, this bit has a value of 0.
In a frame, a 1 indicates the first field of the decoded frame is the top field. A value of 0 indicates the first field is the bottom field.
If progressive_sequence = 1, repeat_first_field = 0 and this bit is a 0, the decoder generates a progressive frame.
If progressive_sequence = 1, repeat_first_field = 1 and this bit is a 0, the decoder generates two identical progressive frames.
If progressive_sequence = 1, repeat_first_field = 1 and this bit is a 1, the decoder generates three identical progressive frames.

Progressive frame
0 - Indicates the two fields of the frame are interlaced fields, with a time interval between them.
1 - The two fields of the frame are from the same instant in time.

Progressive sequence can't be set to 1 for PAL (always has to be 0), but Progressive frame can be set to 1 telling player that this frame is actually progressive (whole thing is similar to PsF on SDI). The is how CCE flags as well and this is by far most compliant DVD encoder ever. DVD Architect probably also flags it this way. For example Carbon Coder/Pro Coder would flag it wrongly. It's also possible that todays players don't care much about it. In the past most also had no problem with it, but then there were some which would have jerky playback. If you create 100K+ copies then you don't want to risk it at all.

DVD Architect is by no means a reference tool- trust me. I done 5000+ DVD titles with about 50% went through Testronic QC and verifiers.
It's exactly same story as 25p BD is not supported, yet it's encoded keeping progressive nature, just with interlaced flagging.

Mastering itself doesn't check for video compliance at all. For this you had services like Testronic which used DVD verifiers+ test disc on 30 most buggy players. Mastering checks for very different things.

If DVD Architect sets headers like this:

then it's not 100% DVD compliant (but doesn't really mean it won't work). Progressive sequence should be unticked. Some Harry Potter and Star Wars DVDs are made this way for example ( I think they are coming from Toshiba DVD encoder)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 2:51 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:I haven't found a direct link to the specs, but this detail article says there are several ways to flag allowed:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/technical/t ... -scan-dvd/

This is not DVD spec at all. DVD spec is not free and I never seen any links to it (in whole).
When it comes to BD we actually had the spec - printed version (as I think this is only way it existed).

Robert Niessner

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 4:48 pm

Thanks Andrew.

I just checked an old 25p video stream I made in 2006 for a commercial DVD with the ReStream tool and "Progressive Sequence" is not active.

It has
[x] Frametype progressive
[x] top field first
Scanning mode: zig-zag
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 6:25 pm

This is correct way.

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 2:50 pm

MainConcept has just released a new version of their plug-in with DVD features.
Might be worth a try.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 9:07 pm

Should be fine and directly from Resolve timeline.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 9:56 am

Call me crazy, but who is asking for a DVD in 2021?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Mark Foster

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 10:31 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Call me crazy, but who is asking for a DVD in 2021?

those who still have their folding calendars at their desks,
and unfortunately there are quite a few of them +g*
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 1:17 pm

MainConcept just told me that such folks are the reason why they integrated that feature in version 1.2 and that there are quite a few of them.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

godzich

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 8:09 pm

Thanks for all replies!

It is clear that converting HD progressive to SD interlaced is a two-bladed sword - there is no single right way of doing it - but there is a bunch of pitfalls...

One of the things I omitted (without the proper knowledge) was the colour space. However, it seems that the DVDA's own converter made the correct re-encode decision since the colour and contrast in the final DVD was identical to the MP4 source file. The final result could have been a bit sharper, must still experiment with some edge enhancement.

A pity that this conversion cannot be made within RDS, since it does not natively support the needed SD render format...
WIN10 Pro 64-bit|DRS 18.6.6
CPU i9-7940X 14-core@4.1GHz|64GB DDR4@XMP3600|ASUS X299M1 MOBO
M2 1TB (system) | 2x1TB HDD(scratchpad) |1TB SSD cache
ASUS GTX3080Ti (12G GBDDR) 551.61 driver (4screens)
IntensityPro 4K+monitor
ASUS 10GE NIC+Ext.64TB NAS

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 8:29 pm

There is a correct way: scale+avoid crazy sharpness+convert color space+encode with DVD compliant encoder.
Sharpen+blur+sharpen+blur behaves as low pass filter.

Eddy Juillerat

PostMon Feb 21, 2022 2:17 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Call me crazy, but who is asking for a DVD in 2021?

Many people didn't pass the DVD period. Nor blu-ray, some all digital with USB sticks. Some like to have a physical product, that's understandable. Too much virtual kills the brain.
Cameras: [BMPCC4K - Panasonic Lumix lenses] - [BMCC 2,5K EF - Sigma EX lenses]
System: Windows 10 pro 64 bits SSD - 5.1 - Resolve 18.5
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

Eddy Juillerat

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 10:59 am

It seems that this debate of DVD relevancy is a little mistreated sometimes.
Yes the technology to make things easier are here, HD on USB sticks to read on a Blu-Ray/DVD home player or making a Blu-Ray disc is easy. But the reality from the users point of view is that people, at least here in Europe, many didn't pass the DVD period to jump right to HD online contents or films on MP4. They still ask for DVDs, because maybe when the Blu-ray discs came by, before the large TV fashion, they didn't feel the need to have a higher resolution. Blu-ray discs felt in a "time pocket" between DVDs and online HD.
So with that, when we are asked to create DVD, we have to struggle like crazy to make something good. Taking the 1080p footage and directly making a 576p DVD gives horrendous results. The image is soft and blurry as hell. It kills the pleasure.

Here some test I've done. Finding the best way to make video images sharp + text characters readable and clean is a total pain. A 1920 x 1080 timeline/original footage rendered to 720x576 seems to be not the better solution if we have small texts with a fine font with small serif of the characters. Beside that, some text effects like making a line with the text's background is changing lengh (image 1).

E10_Text_TEST_DVD-PAL_timeline_b.jpg
E10_Text_TEST_DVD-PAL_timeline_b.jpg (379.62 KiB) Viewed 1861 times

Then I tried 2 renders: one is a timeline of 1920 x 1080, rendered at 720 x 576
the other is the same timeline reduced to 1024 x 576 (keeping the 16:9 ratio) and rendered at 1024 x 576. Seems to give a slightly better sharpness of the image and the font is stronger, BUT the letter spaces is becoming jaggy, even some letters are smaller than others. Maybe the trick would be, in the 1080 timeline, render the text layer only, then import it again as an video layer on top of the video edit, to make it keep the interlettering correct.

So to my actual knowledge: a 1024 x 576 timeline, rendered at 1024 x 576 max quality, then converted to MPEG-2 720 x 576, inserted in a DVD authoring software give okay results. I'm still not totally happy because the lack of control over the final image sharpness. Any good DVD authoring program should have a sharpening filter applied after reduction of size. Or at least any meaning to check if the final image is sharp enough.

E10_DVD_TEST_RenderSizeBefore.jpg
E10_DVD_TEST_RenderSizeBefore.jpg (702.03 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 2:34 pm

You're overestimating DVD quality I think. DVD was fine before we got HD :)
Problem is that its uses non-square pixels, so you always have some "stretching".
As you mentioned. Best result may be when you use 1024x576 or its multiply (for 16x9) square pixels project (so then everything is done at square pixels in Resolve engine) and then resize this to 720x576. You can play with scalers type.

There may be simply some issue with Resolve engine for non-square pixels projects. Seen it in the past with some tools.

Designing DVD menus is not that easy as its interlaced+anamorphic nature and only 720x576 resolutions hits you with limitations. Looking at your grab:
- you made big mistake by using red text over black background. This can look bad (depending on DVD player) due to low resolution+4:2:0 chroma subsampling used by DVD streams.
- use bigger font
- use simpler fonts (rather thicker ones than those thin)
- don't use any thin lines (they have to be always bit thicker then you maybe would like them to be). If you use eg 1 pixel line then on some players it may simply disappear (depending on the line vs background color).
- you can also add vertically gaussian blur to your text to avoid flickering

You have to realise that not all what you would like is possible. Remember about safe areas- don't put key elements next to edges.

We had few designers working on menus and they always needed good few months to get this "feeling" what will look fine or what not.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eddy Juillerat

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 2:38 pm

Thanks for these details. Maybe you're right about me overestimating DVD.
I'm sure you now it's hard to see a good 1080 image getting crushed into a tiny 576 and lose the feel of the images' details.
Last test:
Resolve, 1024x576 timeline AND render, Pixel Ratio Square > Dump it into DVD Architect and it seems much better right away, without converion to MPEG-2. It keeps small vertical lines each side (HD ratio becoming 704x576) but honestly I prefer that than a smoother image just for 16 pixels.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 5:09 pm

Try resizing outside of Architect to final size- 720x576. Then Architect may use full 720 active lines. In your case it's using 704 from original analog PAL spec.

Matthew_Lawrence

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 6:48 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:DVD Format does support progressive video.
I’ve authored many commercial DVDs with DVD Architect that way.

The pixel ratio of 1.333 is for 4:3 video, you want anamorphic widescreen with 1.45869.

If you want the correct scaling for SD, you have to crop the top and bottom of your HD footage by 14 pixel each and then downscale to 720x576 widescreen. This will give the correct aspect ratio.
Firstly, thanks to Robert for this advice. I’m glad I stumbled on this thread as I was creating a PAL DVD in DVD-Architect and just assumed the video I imported had to be interlaced because the DVD project template was interlaced. As a result the DVDs I created didn’t look great on some modern progressive TVs due to the ‘combing’ effect of odd and then even lines showing movement out of order. After following this advice and importing a progressively encoded video, the results are much better.

However, I’ve not been able to do the same thing when creating a PAL Blu-Ray. I get a message to say that the video isn’t properly formatted and will need to be re-encoded. When I import a 50i video it doesn’t need to re-encode.

Am I right in thinking that the proper Blu-Ray standard doesn’t support 25p (just 24p, 50i or 60i etc…)?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 9:08 pm

It doesn't, but good encoder can encode progressively and just flag as i. This is how about all 25p sources are encoded.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533

Matthew_Lawrence

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 11:16 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It doesn't, but good encoder can encode progressively and just flag as i. This is how about all 25p sources are encoded.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533
Great, thanks for your help Andrew

Return to DaVinci Resolve