Moving from M1 to M1 Max - Any buyer remorse for those looki

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Norman Lang

Moving from M1 to M1 Max - Any buyer remorse for those looki

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 2:58 pm

I’m still waiting for my 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Max to ship. But I’m asking myself if I did the right thing. I have a 16Gb M1 MacBook Pro. It is faster, cooler and quieter than anything I have owned. For Q5 BRaw and Prores light 4K and 6K on a 1080 timeline, the editing and grading experience in Resolve is great compared to my 2013 6 core MacPro with 32Gb of RAM. My issue with the M1 is the 13 inch screen size. (I’m still looking for a seamless solution for adding a larger monitor.)
So my question is: Are any of you in a similar quandary? For those who have upgraded to the M1 Pro or Max versions, are you happy, or disappointed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Norman Lang Langproductions.com Boston MA
BMCC - BMPC - BMPCC 4K - BMPCC 6K - BMPCC 6K Pro - MacBook Pro (M1) - MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB - Adobe CC - Davinci Resolve

Uli Plank

Re: Moving from M1 to M1 Max - Any buyer remorse for those l

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 3:51 pm

I'm quite happy with my 16" MacBook M1 Pro and I had a Mac mini M1 before as a stopgap after my iMac died.
It is night and day regarding GPU performance and your M1 Max should pretty much double that. This is not only the best laptop I've ever used (and I used a few PC ones too), but also the fastest Mac I ever owned.
Faster than my 2017 iMac was with two GPUs.

The only reason for remorse might be that the M1 Pro might have been enough ;-)
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

dirk-pel

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 4:11 pm

I'm also very happy with my 16" Macbook Pro M1 MAX! Compared to my WIN-System it's 2-3 times faster.
It's a fantastic system I use 3 external monitors, an EIZO is connected to the Cleanfeed output.
Attachments
IMG_5001.jpeg
IMG_5001.jpeg (508.72 KiB) Viewed 986 times
Davinci Resolve 18.6 Studio, Micropanel, Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, 16" Macbook Pro M1 MAX 32 GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Monterey12.4, EIZO CS2420,Philips 27e1n8900 OLED, BM Decklink Mini Monitor 4K on a TH3P4 board for Mac. iPhone 14 Pro

Norman Lang

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 5:15 pm

Thanks guys! Very helpful. Nice set up Dirk-pel!

BMCC - BMPC - BMPCC 4K - BMPCC 6K - BMPCC 6K Pro - MacBook Pro (M1) - MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB - Adobe CC - Davinci Resolve

jallen0

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 6:07 pm

lol I am thinking the same thing. I have the Intel system listed below in my Sig block and also just ordered the 16" M1 Max 10 core CPU, 32 core GPU, 64GB memory and 8TB storage options.

It will be interesting to see the speed differences however I also think it's good to have both an Intel and M1 system. It's not like the Intel system cannot be used for graphics or post sound production work for years to come.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

blazee

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 8:50 pm

dirk-pel wrote:I'm also very happy with my 16" Macbook Pro M1 MAX! Compared to my WIN-System it's 2-3 times faster.
It's a fantastic system I use 3 external monitors, an EIZO is connected to the Cleanfeed output.

Did you get one with 64gbs? and have you find fusion using it all?

Ellory Yu

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 10:48 pm

I don't have any buyer remorse because I have not pulled the trigger but I need to replace my workstation soon. The MBP M1 Max is definitely enticing but I'm not completely sold on it, especially when in comparison with a PC that has a 3090 GPU to go with. Also, for the price at the top end model, I can get a desktop replacement. Oh, portability is not important to me. So, for about the same or little less than a M1 Max top end configuration, I can get this instead.
OmenPC.JPG
OmenPC.JPG (60.33 KiB) Viewed 766 times

I already have calibrated monitors so the MBP M1 Max screen, beautiful as it seems, is not necessary to me. The big thing about going with a PC desktop is how much I can upgrade it - SSD, Memory, another GPU, etc that I won't be able to do with a MBP.

Just a decision I will have to make in the next few moons.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Norman Lang

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 9:45 pm

As a follow up… I traded in my 2013 MacPro for an M1 Max MacBook Pro (16 inch). 64Gb Ram 2TB SSD. I use it in two modes: 1) with a 27 inch LG monitor and full USB keyboard and Logitech MX 3 mouse. 2) just plain laptop.

Bottom line? It was expensive. I paid too much. But I love it. We all have different needs and for mine this machine is probably overkill. But as an example I had to edit twelve 4K, 4 minute scenes in prores light for a project. The M1 Max rendered all twelve scenes at almost 300 fps! Could I have done it on my old MacPro? Of course, I’ve been doing it for years. Was the M1 Max a better experience? Not even close. Way better.

My advice would be that many people would probably be fine with the M1 MacBook Pro from last year, which is 3 or 4 times cheaper. But it’s a 13 inch screen. You would probably want to add a monitor for editing anything substantial. It has some hiccups but is a very nice machine. The Max is much smoother and snappier and renders much faster.

In spite of the price, I am very happy with my purchase.

SkierEvans

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 10:49 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:I don't have any buyer remorse because I have not pulled the trigger but I need to replace my workstation soon. The MBP M1 Max is definitely enticing but I'm not completely sold on it, especially when in comparison with a PC that has a 3090 GPU to go with. Also, for the price at the top end model, I can get a desktop replacement. Oh, portability is not important to me. So, for about the same or little less than a M1 Max top end configuration, I can get this instead.
OmenPC.JPG

I already have calibrated monitors so the MBP M1 Max screen, beautiful as it seems, is not necessary to me. The big thing about going with a PC desktop is how much I can upgrade it - SSD, Memory, another GPU, etc that I won't be able to do with a MBP.

Just a decision I will have to make in the next few moons.

I have always made my own PC's because I like doing that and can choose what I use and up grade when I need. The issue now is I would like to upgrade my 1080Ti to a RTX3090 but of course it is impossible to find one ! A 16" M1 Max is close to the same price as Dell Alienwware Ryzen 5950 with 32GRAM and a RTX3090. Which being a Windows guy would be my choice for that amountof money. For me it would depend what the price would be for a M1 Mini Max, whenever it arrives! Trying to do some scaling of prices it may well be just about the same price as getting an RTX3090 if I could get one. That may change my mind about moving to a Mac. I may not be able to upgrade but I cannot upgrade pieces of a RTX3090 either ! I have several monitors don't need another screen.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

Return to DaVinci Resolve