Issues with External Monitoring

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

deanlewis

Issues with External Monitoring

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 7:19 pm

Resolve 17.4.2 Build9
Desktop Video 12.2.1
Mac Mini M1
macOS 11.6 Big Sur
UltraStudio Monitor 3G - TB3 - Flanders CM250

No matter what I do, Resolve seems to be sending out the full 2160UHD signal and the external monitor THINKS it is getting 1080p, so I am missing half the image on the external monitor.
https://cln.sh/Bl4aWu
https://cln.sh/Ivm7pn
Even if I set the whole project to 1080p and the Desktop Video to 1080p it still seems to be sending out the 2160p. I do not think this has anything to do with with the CM250 or the UltraStudio Monitor 3G.

Why do I think that? Because the external monitoring is working 100% with Final Cut X.

I think it is ironic that I bought a Blackmagic device to monitor Resolve and it only seems to work properly on FCPX.

Anyway. Thoughts?

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Issues with External Monitoring

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 8:24 pm

Read manual, sections about video monitoring and scaling as well.

Peter Cave

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 6:24 am

Also check the Desktop Video scaling options.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

deanlewis

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 3:50 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Read manual, sections about video monitoring and scaling as well.

...I have done this. This is why I came here for help.
If you look at the screenshots, you will see that I have indeed read the manuals.

Cheers.

deanlewis

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 3:53 pm

Peter Cave wrote:Also check the Desktop Video scaling options.

Yup. Did that as well. As I said, it does not matter what settings I put in both the Project and the Desktop Video, Resolve sends out the exact same scaling.

John Paines

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:01 pm

Check your image scaling preferences ("scale image to fit") and your output scaling setting (set to 1080p).

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:01 pm

What settings do you have for Image Scaling/Output scaling?

If your timeline is UHD and you want to monitor HD then you have to change Scaling/Output scaling to HD (and resize to fit). Then just don't forget to change it back to "Match timeline" before you do export as will be showing you just HD.
It's one of the things which been reported many times and has not changed.
SDI monitoring has no own settings for scaling and it's an issue.
You set monitoring to HD for UHD project and you get HD centre crop from UHD image :)
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deanlewis

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:05 pm

Partial solution.
Turns out that whatever the timeline is set to is what is being sent out.
https://cln.sh/fz7hU9
Which is NOT howe it is supposed to work. No matter what the timeline rez is set to, the Video Monitoring setting is meant to override.
https://cln.sh/mpPNkz

In other words, the video monitoring setting is irrelevant; even if it is set to 1080p or 2k, the timeline //resume MUST be set to the same. Which is wrong.

So I have a workaround, albeit a suboptimal one.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:06 pm

Read above. Key place here is Image Scaling/Output Scaling.
You can get what you want- just set this as mentioned above.

deanlewis

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:09 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:What settings do you have for Image Scaling/Output scaling?

If your timeline is UHD and you want to monitor HD then you have to change Scaling/Output scaling to HD (and resize to fit). Then just don't forget to change it back to "Match timeline" before you do export as will be showing you just HD.
It's one of the things which been reported many times and has not changed.
SDI monitoring has no own settings for scaling and it's an issue.
You set monitoring to HD for UHD project and you get HD centre crop from UHD image :)

yup. that was it. I had the Output Scaling set to Project Settings.
https://cln.sh/WKCwyK
Now it works.

many thanks sir!

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:11 pm

Before you start exporting anything above HD (if project is set to anything above HD) set it back to "Match Timeline" (just in case as you may be getting upscale from scaled down image).

This needs addressing from BM side.
Export scaling and SDI monitoring can't be linked. SDI monitoring should have own settings. Monitoring has not much to with with what resolution you may want to export.
Quick and simple solution is just to change current internal engine behaviour which gives centre crop from timeline resolution to monitoring resolution. At least this can be changed to 'fit' and 95% people will be happy with end result as this is what you typically want.

deanlewis

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:19 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Before you start exporting anything above HD (if project is set to anything above HD) set it back to "Match Timeline" (just in case as you may be getting upscale from scaled down image).

Export scaling and SDI monitoring can't be linked. SDI monitoring should have own settings. Monitoring has not much to with with what resolution you may want to export.
Quick and simple solution is just to change current internal engine behaviour which gives centre crop from timeline resolution to monitoring resolution. At least this can be changed to 'fit' and 95% people will be happy with end result.

copy that

my last remaining challenge is to figure out what the aspect ratio is wrong.
since my UltraStudio Monitor 3G maxes out at 2K, and the timeline is 3840x2160, need to set the output scaling to the right ratio. The Video Monitor -> Video Format options does not seem to include a 2Kx1152 option. grrrrr

update:
both Desktop Video Setup and the Video Monitoring options only have 2K DCI options, 2048x1080, which is more narrow than 2048x1152. double Gah-RRRR

John Paines

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:26 pm

You've tried custom timeline settings and/or custom output settings?

deanlewis

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:28 pm

John Paines wrote:You've tried custom timeline settings and/or custom output settings?

trying now to find the right combo...

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 8:27 pm

deanlewis wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Before you start exporting anything above HD (if project is set to anything above HD) set it back to "Match Timeline" (just in case as you may be getting upscale from scaled down image).

Quick and simple solution is just to change current internal engine behaviour which gives centre crop from timeline resolution to monitoring resolution. At least this can be changed to 'fit' and 95% people will be happy with end result.

copy that

since my UltraStudio Monitor 3G maxes out at 2K, and the timeline is 3840x2160, need to set the output scaling to the right ratio. The Video Monitor -> Video Format options does not seem to include a 2Kx1152 option. grrrrr

update:
both Desktop Video Setup and the Video Monitoring options only have 2K DCI options, 2048x1080, which is more narrow than 2048x1152. double Gah-RRRR

If you work with UHD monitor in HD, not 2K.
If you work with 4096x2160 then monitor in 2K (if you have support for it).
It's pointless to try to monitor in 2K for UHD projects. Instead of gaining anything you are loosing as HD scales perfectly from UHD (it's just half).
Not going even mention that your monitor has HD (not 2K) panel.

Uli Plank

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 2:01 am

The continuing confusion of 4K (DCI) and UHD (TV) is actively encouraged by stupid marketing departments.
"Look, mom, I'm a filmmaker too!"
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

deanlewis

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 6:33 pm

Yup. Thanks for this. I figured it out in the end, but its great to have this validation.
Thought I was going nuts for a while.
Mind you, I wonder if I should have picked up the mini monitor 4K instead of the 3G...

in any case. thank you so, so much for all your help!

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
deanlewis wrote:

copy that

update:

If you work with UHD monitor in HD, not 2K.
If you work with 4096x2160 then monitor in 2K (if you have support for it).
It's pointless to try to monitor in 2K for UHD projects. Instead of gaining anything you are loosing as HD scales perfectly from UHD (it's just half).
Not going even mention that your monitor has HD (not 2K) panel.

Tom Deburchgrave

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 12:26 pm

I totally agree. It seems that the video monitoring setting is indeed irrelevant. When you have a 4k timeline and set this setting to HD, the monitor still just displays a cropped in 4K image. This should be addressed by bmd!

deanlewis wrote:Partial solution.
Turns out that whatever the timeline is set to is what is being sent out.
https://cln.sh/fz7hU9
Which is NOT howe it is supposed to work. No matter what the timeline rez is set to, the Video Monitoring setting is meant to override.
https://cln.sh/mpPNkz

In other words, the video monitoring setting is irrelevant; even if it is set to 1080p or 2k, the timeline //resume MUST be set to the same. Which is wrong.

So I have a workaround, albeit a suboptimal one.

Return to DaVinci Resolve