Hello and a question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

wemrick1

Hello and a question

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 1:17 pm

First hello as I did not see an introduction thread. Fairly new to Davinci Resolve and hoping this will be a source of information.

Second, the question;

I have created a timeline at 30fps and imported a clip which was shot at 24fps. I open clip attributes and change the frame rate to 30fps. I am assuming Davinci Resolve will play this clip back, frame by frame at 30fps without dropping or adding frames. I realize the clip will be playing back a bit fast compared to how it was captured. Am I correct in my assessment?

TCP786

Re: Hello and a question

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 1:48 am

Hello and welcome.

I haven't used clips in a timeline with a different fps before, but I don't think this is the case. I am pretty sure that Resolve will algorithmically create a new clip with the same length, by adding frames in this case. If you want to have each frame of the 24fps clip to still be a single frame in 30fps, I don't know how to do that, but it's probably not too hard. Mathematically speaking, 30 is 125% of 24, so you could try changing the speed of the clip to 125%, and you'd probably want to use the "nearest" retime process algorithm to be sure no frames are blended. That said, I cannot say for sure that this will not involve any dropped or duplicated frames in the process, even though it theoretically shouldn't. Like I said before, there's probably a better way to do this that I don't know about. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Uli Plank

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 1:58 am

No, Cody, Walter is right. He has conformed his clips to 30 fps, which will show every frame and speed up the clip. This can be done in the Clip Attributes.

@Walter:
The other option is just dropping your clip into the 'wrong' timeline and not changing anything. The clip will be re-timed by Resolve with the algorithm chosen for the project, from doubling, through blending, or even synthesising frames by optical flow. The best algorithm is "Speed Warp", which can only be chosen in the Inspector. It's very slow, but might be an option if you only use a few short clips with the wrong speed.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

wemrick1

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 2:21 am

TCP786 wrote:Hello and welcome.

I haven't used clips in a timeline with a different fps before, but I don't think this is the case. I am pretty sure that Resolve will algorithmically create a new clip with the same length, by adding frames in this case. If you want to have each frame of the 24fps clip to still be a single frame in 30fps, I don't know how to do that, but it's probably not too hard. Mathematically speaking, 30 is 125% of 24, so you could try changing the speed of the clip to 125%, and you'd probably want to use the "nearest" retime process algorithm to be sure no frames are blended. That said, I cannot say for sure that this will not involve any dropped or duplicated frames in the process, even though it theoretically shouldn't. Like I said before, there's probably a better way to do this that I don't know about. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Thank you for giving it a shot. It's all good info per the percentage of speed change and such.

wemrick1

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 2:28 am

Uli Plank wrote:No, Cody, Walter is right. He has conformed his clips to 30 fps, which will show every frame and speed up the clip. This can be done in the Clip Attributes.

@Walter:
The other option is just dropping your clip into the 'wrong' timeline and not changing anything. The clip will be re-timed by Resolve with the algorithm chosen for the project, from doubling, through blending, or even synthesising frames by optical flow. The best algorithm is "Speed Warp", which can only be chosen in the Inspector. It's very slow, but might be an option if you only use a few short clips with the wrong speed.

Appreciate that. Needed the conformation for sure. Most of the time I render at 24fps but sometimes I'll have some drone B shots that are at a different frame rate. I was surprised when I interpellated some 25fps to 24fps in Premiere that I could actually see jitter. The drone was flying along side a corn field and with the tight repetition of scene the frame dropping stuck out like a sore thumb. Especially with no audio involved the speed difference is not a problem. It's super cool that Davinci will do this. I have not found a way to do it in Premiere.

Thank you!

TCP786

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 2:31 am

Oh, sorry for the incorrect information Walter, and thank you for correcting me so quickly Uli. What does that do to the clip's audio then? If I'm understanding this correctly, it would no longer match the speed of the video after changing its framerate, so is there something like a "maintain audio pitch" checkbox or something?

Uli Plank

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 4:14 am

Unfortunately not. You'll have to stretch or squeeze the audio by yourself with the tools in Fairlight.
Mixed frame rates are still a drag in Resolve as far as audio is concerned, while it handles video very well if you don't forget to set your final frame rate for the project before dropping any clips into the timeline.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Andy Mees

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 7:31 am

wemrick1 wrote:It's super cool that Davinci will do this. I have not found a way to do it in Premiere.
Bit off topic for a Resolve forum, but for what it's worth, it's done in very much the same way Walter.
Select your clip in Premiere's Project panel and choose Clip > Modify > Interpret Footage... then, in the Frame Rate section of the Modify Clip dialog box, enter the frame rate value that you need eg in this case you would enter '30'.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

TCP786

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 11:36 am

Andy Mees wrote:Bit off topic for a Resolve forum, but for what it's worth, it's done in very much the same way Walter.
Select your clip in Premiere's Project panel and choose Clip > Modify > Interpret Footage... then, in the Frame Rate section of the Modify Clip dialog box, enter the frame rate value that you need eg in this case you would enter '30'.
...does Premiere also pretend that audio doesn't exist when you do this?

wemrick1

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 1:16 pm

TCP786 wrote:Oh, sorry for the incorrect information Walter, and thank you for correcting me so quickly Uli. What does that do to the clip's audio then? If I'm understanding this correctly, it would no longer match the speed of the video after changing its framerate, so is there something like a "maintain audio pitch" checkbox or something?

No apology necessary. I still got some good information from you post.

wemrick1

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 1:20 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
wemrick1 wrote:It's super cool that Davinci will do this. I have not found a way to do it in Premiere.
Bit off topic for a Resolve forum, but for what it's worth, it's done in very much the same way Walter.

I will give that a shot today although I'm Moving more and more into using Davinci only. I got hooked by the color grading. I've become a Davinci snob and can't stand Premiere color grading, lol. I'm getting looks from my bmpcc4k that even amaze me.

Uli Plank

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 1:53 pm

Well, if it’s from a drone, sound shouldn’t matter anyway, so conforming to a new frame rate is the best solution. Fast and free of artifacts.
You got to know, though, that some kind of ‘pulsation’ in drone footage can result from limited bit rates. After all, drones deliver very high detail with good contrast – hard to compress. Sometimes you may notice a rhythmic change of sharpness related to the distance between I-frames.

wemrick1

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 2:46 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Well, if it’s from a drone, sound shouldn’t matter anyway, so conforming to a new frame rate is the best solution. Fast and free of artifacts.
You got to know, though, that some kind of ‘pulsation’ in drone footage can result from limited bit rates. After all, drones deliver very high detail with good contrast – hard to compress. Sometimes you may notice a rhythmic change of sharpness related to the distance between I-frames.

Got ya. I've seen that as well along with radical exposure changes if you forget to lock down the exposure, and focus searching if one is not careful. Tuns of stuff to keep in mind with a drone for sure. Practice, practice, practice, lol.

Return to DaVinci Resolve