Big problem with Texture Pop.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

seanross67

Big problem with Texture Pop.

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 6:50 pm

texture pop is really great. Used a lot on this beauty job that I am working on some red footage. But I go to output source resolution, and voila, the effect disappears completely. 8k footage (7680x4320)

Using other OFX plugins on my timeline, but for some reason texture pop just isn't working upon output.

Really frustrating, as we just put about 30 hours into beauty work, and now we are missing a deadline and having to do a lot more work.
Resolve on a iMac Pro 11.6 64gb RAM Radeon Pro Vega 64.
Davinci 17.4.4

seanross67

Re: Big problem with Texture Pop.

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 7:00 pm

also tried DPX.
Davinci 17.4.4

seanross67

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 7:16 pm

one more thing. It actually isn't killing the texture pop, it seems to be applying it at the timeline resolution which is really lame in this day and age of multiple resolution timelines, as it appears to be fine when I export it as a string-out at timeline resolution.
Davinci 17.4.4

seanross67

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 7:41 pm

reply from Blackmagic:

Some of the OFX effects are resolution dependent. Texture Pop is one of them. This is expected behavior.
The Resolve dev team suggestion is to create the effect at the desired delivery resolution.

Dwaine Maggart
DaVinci Product Support
Blackmagic Design USA
Ticket Details

at least there should be a warning either in the plugin itself or when you go to output source resolution. Blackmagic, I love your product, but NOBODY delivers a timeline at one resolution / ratio anymore, so having that being "resolution dependent" seems like a real oversight.

seems weird that the beauty filter works perfectly, but the texture pop doesn't.

Also, anybody know which OFX filters work at timeline resolution? Would be nice to know.........

and also, since the OFX is optimized for lower resolution, I doubt it will work well at source res if the source res is 8k. Plus, I have clips at multiple resolutions on this job. This is becoming a workflow minefield.

AARGH!
Davinci 17.4.4

Marc Wielage

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 1:15 am

seanross67 wrote:at least there should be a warning either in the plugin itself or when you go to output source resolution. Blackmagic, I love your product, but NOBODY delivers a timeline at one resolution / ratio anymore, so having that being "resolution dependent" seems like a real oversight.

We absolutely look at shows at delivered resolution so that we know what's going to happen in terms of sharpening and NR. We've never delivered 8K before, so that's not a thing for us (yet).

In cases where we have a 4K and an HD delivery, we'll check the 4K all the way through and make sure I haven't over-sharpened or under-noise-reduced anything, and sometimes some adjustments are needed. But not many.

If you just have one resolution delivery to make, watch that all the way through before assuming it's OK. It's always, always been that way, as far as I'm concerned.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

seanross67

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 3:43 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
seanross67 wrote:at least there should be a warning either in the plugin itself or when you go to output source resolution. Blackmagic, I love your product, but NOBODY delivers a timeline at one resolution / ratio anymore, so having that being "resolution dependent" seems like a real oversight.

We absolutely look at shows at delivered resolution so that we know what's going to happen in terms of sharpening and NR. We've never delivered 8K before, so that's not a thing for us (yet).

In cases where we have a 4K and an HD delivery, we'll check the 4K all the way through and make sure I haven't over-sharpened or under-noise-reduced anything, and sometimes some adjustments are needed. But not many.

If you just have one resolution delivery to make, watch that all the way through before assuming it's OK. It's always, always been that way, as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed I should have tested it all the way through, but lately I have been spoiled with Davinci Resolve working seamlessly at source resolution for beauty/texture work. I guess I expected that Davinci could/would warn me if there was a timeline-resolution effect applied that would changed based on resolution of the output.

I guess Blackmagic doesn't have to team or perhaps the. desire to rewrite these to be resolution independent, which is too bad...
Davinci 17.4.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve