Monitoring Audio in Edit & Cut pages loses two channels

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rjanke

Monitoring Audio in Edit & Cut pages loses two channels

PostWed Nov 24, 2021 7:31 pm

DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.2 on a HP z4 running Windows 10 Pro 21H1.

I appear to be losing two audio output channels in the Edit and Cut pages. I have a timeline containing a 5.1 test clip with audio idents on each channel calling them out in SMPTE order. When I'm in the Fairlight page, monitoring is normal and I can confirm that all six channels are being output correctly using the meters on my Merging+Anubis audio interface. However, when I switch to the Edit or Cut pages, I lose the last two of the six channels - in this format Ls and Rs. On the Anubis, the first four channels bounce, but the last two don't. If I switch back to Fairlight, the output is working properly.

I have the exact same version and audio monitoring setup on my 2018 MacBook Pro (Catalina) - that is part of the reason I have the Anubis, so that I can switch my audio monitoring between the two systems. All configuration is the same in Preferences, the version of DR is identical, plus I've loaded the same test project there. However, I don't experience the same issue on that system - the audio output is correct no matter if I am in the Cut, Edit, or Fairlight pages.

If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it...or should this be reported as a bug?

Andy Mees

Re: Monitoring Audio in Edit & Cut pages loses two channels

PostWed Nov 24, 2021 8:40 pm

Unfortunately I don't have a quick and simple answer for you Roy (or a long difficult one!) ... just dropping in to say that it might be worth getting ahead of any request and capturing and posting a link to your logs and sysinfo (on the Windows machine). That's the info that the devs / mods will likely end up asking for (if no one has a ready answer).
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 5:51 am

Are you using the previous Merging ASIO driver or the current Merging Audio Device driver?

Is signal present on all physical outputs while on the Edit page if manually patching the Control Room Monitor Direct or the 5.1 Bus Out to the physical outputs?

Presume wider channel configurations are also only outputting select channels on the physical outputs?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

rjanke

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 7:57 pm

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed reply, I had this set to notify me of responses by email. Sigh.

REYNAUD:
I am using the ASIO driver. The only ones listed under Preferences > Audio I/O > I?o Engine> Video and Audio I/O are System Audio, Desktop Video, Fairlight Audio Accelerator, or ASIO. And the Device is set to Merging.

If I understand correctly, yes, there is signal present on all 6 5.1 channels, according to the Control Room audio meters in the Edit Page

ANDY:
I will try to pull that together.

Again, I apologize for not noticing your response, but I do appreciate the input!
Roy Janke
Supervising Video Editor (2)
Bell Media Studios North
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 8:19 pm

Access Patch IO from the Fairlight menu and manually patch as follows:
Source = Control Room Monitor Direct / Bus Output
Destination = Audio Outputs

Is signal routed to the Ls and Rs channels in the monitoring configuration with either Control Room Monitor Direct or Bus Output as sources?

Do you have a Decklink card to test with (assumably Desktop Video was installed for an installed card)?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

rjanke

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 8:48 pm

I will give that a try, but here's an interesting development:

When I plug in the UltraStudio HD Mini that I had connected to my MacBook Pro (which was behaving "properly") to the PC, all six channels output to the Anubis there, and now the Mac exhibits the behaviour of missing the Ls and Rs outputs. I guarantee if I move the UltraStudio HD Mini back to the Mac, it will be fine again and the PC won't. This is definitely strange as the UltraStudio and Anubis are mutually exclusive (or so one would think) paths.
Roy Janke
Bell Media Studios North
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

rjanke

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 8:59 pm

It also appears that Resolve does not like that I am routing my audio out to the Ravenna network (Anubis) starting at channel 3, through channel 8. This is because I can't map the Mac system audio to anything other than channel 1 and 2 out of the Mac. If I map it to a normal out of 1 > 1, 2 > 2, etc, it seems fine outputting 6 channels. Am I just being difficult? ;)
Roy Janke
Bell Media Studios North
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 5:58 am

rjanke wrote:It also appears that Resolve does not like that I am routing my audio out to the Ravenna network (Anubis) starting at channel 3, through channel 8.
Define the required six channels in the Merging Audio Device Channel Settings but patch Resolve 1:1 in Speaker Setup and then patch from the Merging Audio Device to the Anubis via ANEMAN.

rjanke

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 4:57 pm

Just to recap and provide screenshots. In Aneman I have Sources called:
    Mac 2.0 - "system" output Ch. 1 & 2 from the Mac
    Mac 5.1 - 6 channel output for whatever NLE I'm running Ch. 3 to 8 from the Mac
    PC 2.0 - "system" output Ch. 1 & 2 from the PC
    PC 5.1 - 6 channel output for whatever NLE I'm running Ch.3 to 8 from the PC

I will give your suggestion a try. I just need to find the specific place where the MAD Channel Settings would be. I assume that's separate from where I patch in Aneman.

Anubis Config.png
Current Aneman Config
Anubis Config.png (186.69 KiB) Viewed 798 times

DR Config.png
DaVinci Resolve Config
DR Config.png (152.31 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Roy Janke
Bell Media Studios North
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Return to DaVinci Resolve