17.2 not rendering video

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Qwestcott

17.2 not rendering video

PostThu May 20, 2021 5:08 am

Hello,

I recently updated DaVinci Resolve and found that I can't render videos anymore.

Previous versions of the software were rendering just fine.

The final cut is put in the render cue.
I hit render.... and it never finishes.

Looking in the task manager, I can see that the program is using a lot of resources, so it's trying to do SOMETHING, but it never finishes- I have to manually close out of the program. I tried multiple formats and all got the same result.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling but no luck. I'm using a PC with up-to-date Windows 10. I have a good amount of HD space left.

May I get some help with this? Thank you!

Jim Simon

Re: 17.2 not rendering video

PostThu May 20, 2021 3:07 pm

Is there a particular clip where it keep failing?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Qwestcott

PostThu May 20, 2021 5:32 pm

I tried a couple of projects that I had successfully rendered before and it won't do either.

These are small projects. Less than a minute long- 24 FPS.

I just tired rendering one of them and leaving the computer on all night while I slept to see if it would do it. Woke up this morning and no progress. Had to force quit again.

Qwestcott

PostFri May 21, 2021 5:30 am

Hello,

There doesn't seem to be one. I've tried re-rendering successful projects and they all fail the same way.

The things I'm trying to do are rather small- 30 seconds or so at 24FPS. Nothing big. I don't get any sort of progress bar it just says "rendering" and then eats up all my resources.

mremonen

PostFri May 21, 2021 2:32 pm

Same here: 17.2 won't render. GPU load is 0.1% and nothing happens. Playback works ok as well as editing but immediately when I try to render, it just dies. Menus work, but cannot select anything. Cannot stop render either, need to kill the app.

17.1. worked like a charm...

Would've posted url for the log&NFO but for some reason posting url's is forbidden for me.

Jim Simon

PostFri May 21, 2021 4:16 pm

With such a small project, would you care to share an Archive for others to test?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Qwestcott

PostSun May 23, 2021 5:03 am

UPDATE: I have it fixed.... almost.

I uninstalled/reinstalled several times with no joy. Finally I tried installing it in a new place: a new drive. It was on my C: drive and and I tried putting it on my D:

It worked! So, at some point between 17 and 17.2 something got corrupted and didn't get cleaned up between uninstalls.

How do I share an Archive? I'm a bit new to this.

Jim Simon

PostSun May 23, 2021 1:05 pm

The following is a good way to clear out everything from a bad install, including the leftovers regular uninstallers leave behind. Take care, though, as this can absolutely erase your database. And you will lose all your preferences and settings.

https://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php

From the Project Manager, right click and Export Project Archive. Upload that to a file sharing site and post a link.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Qwestcott

PostMon May 24, 2021 12:43 am

Hello,

I believe AVAST has a similar service- do you know how those two compare?

I put my archive in my Dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gnid9vihsqon ... RCh5a?dl=0

Jim Simon

PostMon May 24, 2021 12:57 am

I'm not familiar with an AVAST uninstaller, though I would advise against using their security software.

The project rendered fine for me, took less than a minute. That would indicate a system issue on your end.

You're not using AVAST anti-virus or anything, are you?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Qwestcott

PostMon May 24, 2021 2:15 am

I've been using Avast Anti-Virus for about 3 years now.

Jim Simon

PostMon May 24, 2021 2:02 pm

OK.

Use the IOBit Uninstaller to fully remove AVAST and it's leftovers. The included Windows Security is sufficient.

Once that's done, try exporting again.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Qwestcott

PostMon May 31, 2021 1:08 am

Resurrecting this.

It's happened again in the new place. I used IObit to try and clean things out, then reinstall and it's still not working no matter where it's placed. Avast was uninstalled as well.

One thing I've noticed is that DaVinchi Resolve is still running in the task bar even though I've closed the program, and it's eating power.

I also noticed I'm not getting any audio in my playback- I see the audio track, but I hear nothing. Nothing was done to this part of the file. I tried deleting the audio and got the same result.

Then I tried the Quick Render, chose twitter, connected my account, and then told it to render. The counter came up and it was trying to render but at ZERO FPS. So... it's trying hard and getting nowhere.

I had someone render the video for me, so I know it works and I can make my deadline, but it's mighty frustrating.

Jim Simon

PostMon May 31, 2021 7:09 pm

OK.

You may be looking at some larger system issues. Might be time to consider a clean install of Windows, reinstalling only the OS, system maintenance and editing apps.

Keep it clean, keep it simple.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Peo-RWWK.se

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 3:22 pm

I have the same issue with davinci resolve 17.2.4 tried to copy my timeline to a new timeline then resolve crashed directly a couple of times when I open the project.

Now I could open the project but still the same issue rendering do not work anymore...

Wanted to downgrade but the I have to uninstall... Just neede the upgrade because ACES 1.3 Cannot believe how they can release so buggy versions. Trying to get colleagues to swap but this is just ridicules...

dkg876

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 10:49 pm

Notice same happening on my side. Yesterday Resolve was operating perfectly, today nothing is rendering. Also in task manager, even after closing, there is a resolve instance running in the background.

Asturias

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 9:24 am

Hello, I don't open a new topic as I have exactly the same problem. Suddenly, Davinci Resolve Studio (18.6.4) doesn't render anymore project, even some old ones that worked perfectly.

The project is really simple, one images sequence of 80 pictures and 2 titles.

It never starts the render.

Asturias

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 4:31 pm

Ok, I found. I have a soundcard that uses ASIO drivers. I don't use it all the time and I alternate between the soundcard and the generic sound drivers regarding my needs.
DaVinci Resolve preferences are set to ASIO but my soundcard was shut down. Once I changed the settings, all went fine.

Charles Bennett

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 12:39 am

Unfortunately, rather than give you a warning, Resolve will sit there waiting for a missing process to start. In your case waiting for the turned off audio interface to become available.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to DaVinci Resolve