Hangs while loading project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

hansemann

Hangs while loading project

PostSun Dec 26, 2021 10:31 am

Hi.
I have issues with Davinci Resolve on loading a project after first start of Resolve Studio.
I start my computer, and launch Davinci Resolve Studio, that works fine. Then, after double-clickuing on a project in the Project Manager, for about 1-2 Minutes, nothing happens, except that I can see resolve.exe in the Task Manager consuming one core completely (100%). Then, suddenly, Resolve opens, and i can work without any problems.

My System:
MSI Z590 Mainboard with Intel Core i7 11700, 32GB RAM, Samsung EVO 980 SSD, sadly no Graphics Card due to the bad market situation, but I can live with that for now. System ist running under Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Build 21H2.

I run Davinci Resolve Studio in the latest (17.4.3) Version, on installation, I did not install the Fairlight Audio Extension and the RAW Player. I use a Speed Editor coupled over bluetooth with no problems.

When Resolve is up and running, I can change the projects pretty fast: after clicking on the "home"-Icon on the bottom right, the Project Manager shows up, and every Project I double click on ist instantly loaded, so it doesnt seem to be a database issue.

Sometimes back, I tried a Nvidia Graphics Card from a friend to see if i have any benefits of it, but removed it after some days. I also had the above issue after that, and got around that by deinstalling all remains of the former Nvidia driver installation. For some days, it worked pretty well, the projects opened instantly even after a fresh start of the machine.

I do not see anything in the log.
I have no third party Virus Scanner or other Safety Software installed.

Any ideas what to look for?

hansemann

Re: Hangs while loading project

PostMon Dec 27, 2021 6:27 pm

Strange thing...

I clicked on "Analyze Queue" (My System is in German, there it is "Warteschlange analysieren", dont know how its called in English) on the Resolve.exe Process during the wait time, it told me something like "waiting on Network I/O to finish". That alone was not very helpful, but I took a look at my Network Settings.
The only difference there is compared to my Laptop, where I run another instance of Resolve, but without the mentioned issues, is the presence of some virtual switches because of the installation of HyperV on my Workstation.
As I deinstalled that and removed the virtual switches, my issues are gone (for now...).
Is there anyone experiencing the same? Or does anyone have any explanation to that behaviour?

Greetings,
Hans

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 28, 2021 2:01 am

The developers tried to optimised DR for speed as much as possible.
If any I/O is not responding ASAP, such things can happen. I've seen it with slow NAS devices.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

hansemann

PostMon Jan 03, 2022 7:24 pm

One week later, I can report it did not get back to bad.
The deinstallation of HyperV was the solution.

regards
Hans

Return to DaVinci Resolve