Fairlight Atmos

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

pascalpayant

Fairlight Atmos

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 6:25 pm

Hi
I'm having an issue with the Atmos 7.1.4. When i select it, my bus is all grey out. no sound is working but as soon as i change to Atmos 7.1.2 then it's working. Sound is coming out and i can add EQ etc..

Why when i select 7.1.4 is grey out and i can't use it.
thanks

Reynaud Venter

Re: Fairlight Atmos

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 6:35 pm

System spec? viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

Follow the guidance outlined in Dolby's training materials for working with Dolby Atmos in Resolve's Fairlight environment.

https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/art ... lve-Studio

To start with a known base, use the Fairlight Preset supplied by Dolby.

Is the monitoring configuration functional using that Preset.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

pascalpayant

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 6:41 pm

Hi
Like i said it's working for Atmos 7.1.2 but not 7.1.4 and the software become super slow like i can't even press play on my timeline. as soon as i switch to 7.1.2 again it's working perfectly

Reynaud Venter

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 6:45 pm

Where are you switching between formats? Bus format? Monitoring panel? Speaker Setup?

Lack of specific details and system configuration means more difficulty in assisting.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

pascalpayant

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 6:54 pm

Hi
yes when i'm switching in the bus format panel. Changing my main timeline from 7.1.2 to 4 , the bus 1 in my mixer is all grey out

As soon as i change it back to 7.1.2 it works.
My only thing i'm wondering is if the software realize that my main card got 10 output and not 12 thats why he says nop you can't cause you don't have enough speakers connected or your card is not supporting it.
I'm buying a new one so that will something to see if that was it but still it should work even if i've not assigned all my speakers to each channel.

Reynaud Venter

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 7:04 pm

The first Buss should be the width of a Dolby Atmos Bed (i.e. 7.1.2). Atmos does not support 7.1.4 Beds, so if the Project only contains a single Bed then the Buss should be 7.1.2 format.

Keep in mind that Busses are Atmos Beds and Tracks are Atmos Objects.

While an Atmos Bed only supports up to 7.1.2 the monitoring speaker layout may be in 7.1.4 format.

Suggest reading through the link to the Dolby materials provided earlier and referencing the Resolve 17 Manual | Page 3337 | Chapter 179 | Immersive Audio Workflows.

pascalpayant

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 7:20 pm

thank you for helping out
My main question to you then would be how can i edit in 7.1.4 then? My speaker are in 7.1.4 but the bus like you said is 7.1.2 how can i add the 2 remaining speakers?

Reynaud Venter

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 7:26 pm

Specify a 7.1.4 monitoring environment in Preferences > System > Video and Audio I/O > Monitor Speaker Configuration and the native Dolby Atmos Renderer will handle all monitoring in that and other formats.

Please do read through the Dolby materials as this is explained quite clearly.
https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/art ... lve-Studio

pascalpayant

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 7:31 pm

I understand that
I mean by editing in 7.1.2 i won't be able to edit in 7.1.4 right?

I want my timeline and project to be finished in 7.1.4. It's my first project in Atmos

So how can i edit and make sure that i can move my sound in all the right speakers incuding the 4 on the celing cause now it's only 2

Maybe I'm missing one information that you can explain better

pascalpayant

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 7:37 pm

Ohh i think i get it... I think Atmos it's a TYPE of sound. the more speakers you have in your room the more sound you will hear how you edit, so automatically you edit in 7.1.4 and more if you can afford. so if i move a plane from front to back . it will be mix the right away but than depending on how many speakers you have like if you have 7.1.2 you will only hear the front top part but if you have the 7.1.4 you will the full design... am i get it right? that no matter what I'm editing in the ATMOS world, then the more speakers you have in your room, the more you will hear the effects. it's not like 5.1

But I'm still confused on how to export in 7.1.4 tho.

Reynaud Venter

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 8:23 pm

pascalpayant wrote:I want my timeline and project to be finished in 7.1.4
Dolby Atmos comprises a 7.1.2 Bed and a maximum of 118 Objects.

A Dolby Atmos Master authored with Dolby's Atmos Mastering tools or in DaVinci Resolve will always follow this specification. The first 10 channels are dedicated to the Bed (7.1.2) and the remaining 118 channels for Objects, for a total of 128 channels.

A Bed is a traditional channel-based stem with component channels corresponding to specific speaker locations - seven main channels, LFE, and Left and Right height channels. This is a fixed channel configuration no different to traditional 7.1 surround but with the addition of two height channels.

An Object is a discrete audio element placed in a three-dimensional soundfield with positional and size metadata. Objects are not panned directly to speakers or between channels as in standard surround production but the Atmos Object Audio Metadata defines the panning information as X, Y, and Z (height) coordinates. This metadata is then used to render the Object in the correct position for the individual device’s speaker configuration. The Object Metadata also includes binaural metadata settings for rendering an Atmos mix for reproduction on headphones.

The Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 configuration is a monitoring format. The Dolby Atmos Renderer translates the mix created from Beds and the Objects with Object Audio Metadata to speaker layouts such as 7.1.4 format.

Mattias Murhagen

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 8:28 pm

Also just to add: If Fairlight implements this the same as Nuendo you're not limited to the first 10 channels being one bed and the remining ones being objects, you can actually create more beds than just one (of different channel-widths) if that's convenient - out of the other 118 channels.

I'd also recommend not talking or thinking about it as "editing in Atmos", it really doesn't make much sense I think.

Reynaud Venter

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 8:32 pm

Mattias Murhagen wrote:If Fairlight implements this the same as Nuendo you're not limited to the first 10 channels being one bed and the remining ones being objects, you can actually create more beds than just one (of different channel-widths) if that's convenient - out of the other 118 channels.
Fairlight follows the same Dolby recommendations. Keeping the basic descriptions simple to avoid confusion.

Mattias Murhagen

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 8:55 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
Mattias Murhagen wrote:If Fairlight implements this the same as Nuendo you're not limited to the first 10 channels being one bed and the remining ones being objects, you can actually create more beds than just one (of different channel-widths) if that's convenient - out of the other 118 channels.
Fairlight follows the same Dolby recommendations. Keeping the basic descriptions simple to avoid confusion.

Technically they're different though and there is no other way of expressing this. You can't group for example 8 channels together into a 7.1.0 bed without calling it a bed, because technically it's fundamentally different from a set of objects.

In case I wrote it poorly this is from Dolby:

"The Dolby Atmos Renderer captures up to 128 tracks of audio. The first 10 tracks are dedicated to capture Bed audio with a width up to 7.1.2, and the remaining 118 inputs can be used for Objects and/or additional Beds. Additional Beds may be used to facilitate multiple DAW systems working on different stems (i.e., Dialog, Music, Effects), and to simplify workflows to derive channel-based stems. Increasing the number of Beds reduces the number of tracks available for Object audio. "

https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/art ... nel-Audio-

pascalpayant

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 8:59 pm

Hey mattias

All I want is to edit my film in 7.1.4. I'm trying to get all the infos and no one talks about it since it's new in fairlight. Trying to get it to work. In the davinci atmos video they just released the girl import a 7.1.4 file wav and the bus is in 7.1.4 not 7.1.2 so it seems it's working right?

All i want is to start my project so that i can edit in 7.1.4 so far i only seems to be able to do it in 7.1.2. maybe i'm doing it all wrong.
if you know exactly what to do in atmos and fairlight , maybe i can hire you for an hour to explain and built my project right. you can dm if you want

Or anybody who knows how it work perfectly. if you want to guide me privately i'll pay.
thanks

Mattias Murhagen

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 9:03 pm

Read Reynaud's reply again. Objects can be panned as objects and you can monitor that in a 7.1.4 setup. The bus can not be wider than 7.1.2, but you can monitor that in a 7.1.4 setup.

I would hire Reynaud if I were you.

pascalpayant

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 9:20 pm

Reynaud Venter

I just sent you a private message

And thank you for everyone time

hockinsk

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 2:14 pm

It's a bit of a steep learning curve the Atmos setup. Basically you need a 7.1.2 bus and call it 'Bed' and you Patch that 7.1.2 Bus to the Dolby Sends first 10 inputs. You then patch each object from 11 onwards and monitor the 7.1.4 Bus which is symbolised by the Dolby symbol. However, you'll find performance is much better not bothering to monitor the Atmos bus. There's really no need to until you actually render the project ADM as Davinci Resolve has no Binaural Monitoring, so monitoring the Dolby atmos bus is rather redundant, there's no difference to just duplicating the 7.1.4 Dolby bus and monitoring that instead.
Good little step-by-step guide here is quite useful. There's other ways to do it, but this covers the setting up quite nicely.

One thing to remember, Davinci Resolve is limited to 32 channel inputs and 32 channel outputs for some strange reason, so difficult to use it on a more music basis as you'll run out of input channels if going from a DAW or want to use external Dolby Atmos renderer as you can't get the 128 channels out of Davinci Resolve.

Intel i7, 32GB LPDDR4, NVIDIA GTX 1650 6GB, Windows 10, Davinci Resolve Studio 18.0.4

pascalpayant

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 8:16 pm

Another Issue that i have is that in the latest davinci version, for some reason i can't import ATMOS file.
ATMOS option is activated but when i go in fairlight / immersive audio / there'S no import setting.

When i do import a netflix test file. they don't see it as ATMOS instead of 7.1.4 they have like 30 files and there'S no ATMOS logo

anybody knows what is the problem?

pascalpayant

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 8:25 pm

Someone told me it's because of the new M1 chip. ATMOS is supported by it... It's weird cause davinci support M1.
any thought?

Mattias Murhagen

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 8:53 pm

What type of file was this and where did you find it?

pascalpayant

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 9:08 pm

I've used the netflix exemple file they provide.
If you use the ROSETTA it works. So i guess Davinci or Dolby needs to fix it later. It sucks cause for us who got a atmos set up we can't use it.

Rajiv Mudgal

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 9:10 pm

pascalpayant wrote:Someone told me it's because of the new M1 chip. ATMOS is supported by it... It's weird cause davinci support M1.
any thought?

No it doesn't, you have to run resolve under rosseta. Import works under rosseta.
also Atmos is object based and not channel centric. so 7.1.2 can be confusing like where do I put the other 2 channels.
think of it as a 3rd order ambisonic where objects are like speakers emitting sound and channels are mic's placed in space picking up those sounds. :lol:

Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 2.47.27 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 2.47.27 AM.png (82.61 KiB) Viewed 2584 times

Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 2.47.20 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 2.47.20 AM.png (112.7 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
Last edited by Rajiv Mudgal on Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8500260/

Mattias Murhagen

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 9:13 pm

pascalpayant wrote:I've used the netflix exemple file they provide.
If you use the ROSETTA it works. So i guess Davinci or Dolby needs to fix it later. It sucks cause for us who got a atmos set up we can't use it.

Ok, sorry but that doesn't tell me anything. It doesn't tell me what file format it is or where I could find the file to test it on my end.

A ".ADM" file for example will contain beds and objects. So all of what is rendered out to an ADM file should be imported as well, not just 7.1.4 channels. Like Reynaud wrote earlier the 7.1.4 channels are for monitoring, so you shouldn't expect some files for Atmos to import into only those channels. You should expect beds and objects. And yes, that could be 30 files.

pascalpayant

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 4:25 am

Here you can get the files to test
http://download.opencontent.netflix.com ... olLevante/

You can have the wav, Atmos files etc
It’s a good way to test and experiment

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 5:51 am

Pascal, besides the Dolby Renderer limitation on M1 Macs, is the workflow now clearer?

Have you been able to make a custom preset with the Netflix Projects as a base?

pascalpayant

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 2:33 pm

Hi Raynaud
yes thank i think i understand more clearly...
my next question is
do i put my sound in the beds or in the objects? Or both and what would be the difference if i put the dialogues in the Objects tracks instead of BED for exemple?

Is there things that goes in the BEDS automaticly or not really

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 4:37 pm

pascalpayant wrote:do i put my sound in the beds or in the objects?
Objects carry positional metadata and allow precise control over both the positioning and motion of sources in the immersive field. If you require pin point accuracy use Objects.

Since Beds only support up to 7.1.2 format, use Objects to address the height channels.

what would be the difference if i put the dialogues in the Objects tracks instead of BED for exemple?
Objects and Bed channels can sonically be identical with certain positional and size metadata.

Is there things that goes in the BEDS automaticly or not really
Objects dot not access the LFE.

Return to DaVinci Resolve