Project will repeatedly unmount/mount my external hard drive

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

alex@soundstage

Project will repeatedly unmount/mount my external hard drive

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 8:20 am

[EDIT] NOT A DAVINCI RESOLVE PROBLEM. MODERATORS PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD.

I'm using Davinci Resolve 17.1.1 on Windows 10. I have a project with Blackmagic Raw footage located on a USB 3.0 external hard drive (Toshiba 4TB) formatted in ExFat.
Every time I open this specific project, my external hard drive will start unmounting and remounting in rapid fire, like 2 or 3 times. When I scrub the project it does the same thing. Rendering the project would cause "Media Missing" screens everywhere there's footage, which makes sense because the footage unlinks itself every time it happens. As long as Resolve is closed, this drive behaves reliably the way it should.
Right now I am downloading the latest version 17.4.3 of Resolve. I'm going to re-open the project and see if it fixes it.
When I have tried creating a blank project and the drive didn't react to that. If the update doesn't sort out the issue, I'm going to try copy/pasting my timeline's content into the new blank project and see what it does.
If anyone else encountered a similar issue or has any ideas on things to try to isolate / identify the root cause, thanks to let me know. DING! Download complete. I'll be back in 30 minutes
Last edited by alex@soundstage on Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

alex@soundstage

Re: Project will repeatedly unmount/mount my external hard d

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 8:29 am

So I've downloaded the latest Davinci Resolve and it still does it.
I have opened that blank project and copied the contents of my original project's timeline in it and it's going crazy again unmounting / mounting every few seconds.
I have no choice now than to screenshot every compositions in this project until I hit the point where it starts doing this again. I'll report back if I find anything. In the meantime, please feel free to leave me any insights below...

alex@soundstage

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 8:35 am

Well, that was quick. Importing Media from the external hard drive instantly triggered the problem. I'm stuck, I can't work on my project anymore. Going to check out a different workstation and see if it fixes the problem. The workstation I'm on was working fine until Saturday morning. I'm seriously confused because I do not know anything that might have changed between Friday evening and Saturday morning. I don't remember Windows doing updates or anything.

alex@soundstage

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 8:51 am

Good news, I've managed to replicate the problem without Davinci Resolve, while simply trying to read data from that drive. It's been disconnecting and reconnecting exactly the same. So this is not a Resolve problem and I'm going further down the rabbit hole. In the meantime, can someone delete this post ?

peterjackson

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 9:18 am

Of course it's not a Resolve problem. Check the SMART values of the drive and replace its cable with something of quality, don't use hubs in between.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

peterjackson

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 9:19 am

I'd actually recommend you spend the few dollars on stablebit scanner. It tells you such problems right away and you can spend your life time with more fun things.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Uli Plank

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 11:53 am

If this were a Mac M1, I could tell you the workaround (got that issue with some drives).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve