Lag between every single button click

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mosannam9696

Lag between every single button click

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 9:48 pm

I have a 2020 souped up as much as you can iMac and I have never had this issue whatsoever before. I also have a M1 21 macbook pro that is way less powerful than the iMac and it has no issue.

For the past couple months every single time I try to do literally anything I get a loading wheel before it'll do what I want. Double click a clip? Loading wheel. Press play for the clip? Loading wheel. Click a spot on the clip for start spot? Loading wheel. Drag the clip to the timeline? Loading wheel. Literally every single thing. There is not one thing that goes quick. I have no idea what the problem is. I've edited 4k footage easily with this mac a year ago. Nothing else on the computer lags like this. It doesn't matter what the clip is, what size the clip is, nothing. I've tried resetting all the settings to original and that didn't help. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing. That didn't help. I'm not sure what else to try.

Andy Mees

Re: Lag between every single button click

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 10:24 am

You might want to look to see if 'Live Save' is enabled, and if so, test to see if turning it off changes anything. The setting is found in the Davinci Resolve menu > Preferences window, listed in the User tab > Project Save and Load panel > Save Settings controls.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

mosannam9696

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 8:27 pm

Andy Mees wrote:You might want to look to see if 'Live Save' is enabled, and if so, test to see if turning it off changes anything. The setting is found in the Davinci Resolve menu > Preferences window, listed in the User tab > Project Save and Load panel > Save Settings controls.

This does seem to have worked for now but I don't know why. As far as I know, that's a setting that has always been on and is enabled on my other Mac that works just fine. To me, this'll be a workaround but I really would like to know the root cause here. Thank you though!

Andy Mees

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 11:12 am

mosannam9696 wrote:This does seem to have worked for now but I don't know why. As far as I know, that's a setting that has always been on and is enabled on my other Mac that works just fine. To me, this'll be a workaround but I really would like to know the root cause here. Thank you though!

Yep, thought it might. My guess would be that you have a database issue, either project specific or database wide. Test to see if the issue persists within a new clean project. If so, create a new database and then test again.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Daniel Stuebner

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 2:44 pm

I had this once on a Windows machine. Can't say what the problem was but it only happened with a disk database located on a SSD. Switching to spinning disks or, what I did finally, using a PostgreSQL database fixed it.
Head of Color @ Postproduktion V3

TR 2950 | 64GB | 2080Ti | 4K extr. 12G | LSI 9270

panos_mts

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 3:14 pm

It has happened to me twice for different reasons (both related to the database)

Here are the 2 threads I opened when I encountered this problem:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=120384
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=144343

Return to DaVinci Resolve