Fairlight- Simplest way to remove unwanted sounds

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ElliotandNolan

Fairlight- Simplest way to remove unwanted sounds

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 8:43 am

Hi. I'm looking for the easiest/quickest way to remove breath sounds, coughs, umms etc from the soundtrack. Whenever I search this topic the results focus on the various automatic tools such as de-essers, noise gates etc but I that's not what I'm looking for, I can easily find the sound I want to remove, for instance a sharp intake of breath before the subject speaks, but don't know the best way of removing that sound without affecting the timeline.

Thanks

Andy Mees

Re: Fairlight- Simplest way to remove unwanted sounds

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 9:06 am

I prefer manual control.
In Edit Selection Mode, find breath, drag a range across it, pull down selected range level as needed. Rinse and repeat.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

ChipKng

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 9:37 am

ElliotandNolan wrote:Hi. I'm looking for the easiest/quickest way to remove breath sounds, coughs, umms etc from the soundtrack. Whenever I search this topic the results focus on the various automatic tools such as de-essers, noise gates etc but I that's not what I'm looking for, I can easily find the sound I want to remove, for instance a sharp intake of breath before the subject speaks, but don't know the best way of removing that sound without affecting the timeline.

Thanks

You can delete selected part in to ways: ripple delete messes up the timeline, normal delete will leave the space empty. Also a good option just to pull down the volume on that part. It all depends on if you have background noise you want to be present or it's on a separated track/etc.
Windows 10 | Resolve 18.0.3 Studio | GTX 1070Ti (studio 472.84) 8Gb VRAM | 32 Gb RAM | i7-4790K

ElliotandNolan

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 9:57 am

Thanks for the replies, the bit that I'm just not getting is I can use the range selection tool to select the part that contains the unwanted sound, but when I pull down the volume it affects the whole clip, same with using the volume control in the inspector.

Andy Mees

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 10:42 am

Yep, per my earlier reply, you need to be using Edit Selection Mode (not Range Selection Mode).
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

ElliotandNolan

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 12:04 pm

I think I see what I'm doing wrong, I didn't realise I had to click in the bottom half of the range I selected, that seems to be working fine now thanks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve