Clean Feed way better than export

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dandan

Clean Feed way better than export

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 7:53 am

We are installing an LED installation and editing the video with Davinci Resolve on site.
When we view the footage via Clean Feed directly out of DaVinci Resolve (via HDMI Cable) there seems to be more variation in the color and way more vibrant colors.

However when we export the footage – and we have tried all kinds codecs and containers (h264/5, ProRes 422/HQ/Uncompressed) - and play it on any other player may it be through VLC or QuickTime Player via the same iMac & same HDMI Cable it looses a great deal of quality and looks somewhat washed out.

We have also tried changing the color spaces and gamma specs to various options - best still being rec709.

Our preference would be to let the installation run on a Bright Sign player but would be also happy to play it on an Mac Mini if need be. However, we cannot find a solution on how to get to the quality we see via the clean feed.

Can anyone tell us why this is? Is there any other component we haven't taken into consideration here?

If anyone can tell us more about what the Clean Feed actually gives out - what are the specs here?? (even if we reimport an exported clip, that looks bad on any player, onto DaVinci and play it via Clean Feed it looks great again.

Thank you!

Jim Simon

Re: Clean Feed way better than export

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 2:55 pm

Clean Feed is not accurate and inappropriate for Quality Control. It's a Content Monitoring system.

Software players are not accurate and inappropriate for Quality Control.

You need a hardware 'player' going to the calibrated LED.

Decklink serves that purpose.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 3:37 pm

On Windows, clean feed appears to be pretty accurate -- indistinguishable by eye from Decklink output -- but on Mac, I believe color profiles can affect the result. You might want to start there.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 3:42 pm

Clean Feed is accurate, looking at an external scope there's no difference compared to a DeckLink (I've only tested Rec.709).

John Paines

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 3:54 pm

That's what I figured. Glad you confirmed it.

Gary Hango

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 4:20 pm

Your LED display is expecting full video levels but you players are outputting partial video levels.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

Peter Cave

PostTue Aug 31, 2021 2:16 am

Gary Hango wrote:Your LED display is expecting full video levels but you players are outputting partial video levels.

I think Gary may mean Full Range Levels vs Video Range Levels, which are selectable on the deliver page settings.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

dandan

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 1:47 pm

Thank you every one for the replies.

Indeed, setting it to Full Video Levels did the trick! :D

asafblasberg

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 2:52 am

Also,

I believe that in the Decklink Video Setup you can send the Decklink outputs either an RGB or YUV signal; with Clean Feed you can output RGB or YUV by using NVIDIA settings and even in Windows 11 you can change it, so yes it is identical.

Return to DaVinci Resolve