Deleting dark frames

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jonesxxx

Deleting dark frames

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 11:39 am

Hi
I want to find a way to delete dark frames. I’m using resolve 16.

I have made a series of hundreds of still images using a Raspberry Pi. These will make a sort of stop motion video of a plant growing. However, of course, every night it gets dark and I would like to remove the dark frames.
I could do this either by loading the files into Resolve as clips and then trying to delete the dark clips
or render the whole lot out into a video file and then load the file into resolve and try to delete the dark frames.
However I can’t find any way of having resolve (or anything else) delete which files/frames are dark and deleting them.

Any ideas welcome.

Jonesxxx

Re: Deleting dark frames

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 9:58 am

Hi

Well I didn't find a perfect solution but...
I have some software named RawTherapee 5.8. With this I can view all the files as in Windows Explorer. I can then filter them by shutter speed, ISO, aperture etc.

So I filtered by High ISO which left me with mostly dark images but with a few good images. I could then select only the dark images and delete them.

Note that Shift left click will click a range of files, ctrl left click will select individuals but shift +ctrl left click will allow you to select additional ranges after having skipped a few files.

Return to DaVinci Resolve