PC requirements

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

sukohonig

PC requirements

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 3:42 pm

Hello,

I am trying to switch from Shotcut to davinci resolve. Editing for me is 90% of the time cutting clips and speed them up to make a time laps.

Resolve for me is a lot better but is really slow somehow. When I select a clip to change the speed to 400% it is very laggy.. I didn't have this problem in Shotcut.

These are my pc specs:
UserBenchmarks: Game 63%, Desk 96%, Work 64%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H - 89.6%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 (Mobile) - 61.3%
SSD: Crucial MTFDHBA1T0TDV-1AZ1AABHA 1TB - 302.4%
RAM: Samsung M471A1K43DB1-CWE 2x8GB - 106.8%
MBD: HP OMEN Laptop 15-en

Am I doing something wrong, because I thought my Specs were pretty good. But for simple things like speeding up clips it doesn't do a great job.

Overclock the GPU doesn't seem to be an option because I am using a Laptop.
The video matterial I use are on the laptop SSD.

Pretty sad Rosolve doesn't work for me eventhouh I thought my PC could handle this. Upgrading ram would be an option I think but I don't know if this will help.

Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Carsten Sellberg

Re: PC requirements

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 10:39 am

sukohonig wrote: I didn't have this problem in Shotcut.

Hi.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O, fusion, decode and encode of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. Higher CUDA/OpenCL performance is better.

In the paid STUDIO Version of Resolve, can certain combination of Codec, Resolutions, Bit width and Chroma subsampling be hardware decoded/encoded on either a AMD/nVidea Graphics card or in a Intel non Xeon CPU.

You don't tell us what resolution you want to edit, but normally do I recommend people on the road to look for a medium to large sized Laptop, so it can get rid of the generated heat.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

sukohonig

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 2:25 pm

Hello,
Thank you for your reply. I think my laptop is average with the 15 inch size. The resolution I record in is 4k 30fsp.
Do you think upgrading ram to 2x 16GB will help?

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 9:38 am

Nope. 4K/UHD is challenging for any laptop but the strongest gaming ones or the new Apple M1.
Try working in a HD timeline and change the resolution before final render.
If that doesn’t work, transcode to a lighter codec. But you may need extra storage then.
The software may be free, but the hardware needed for smooth performance is not.

Resolve Studio 17.4.6 , MacOS 12.3.1
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
and
iMac 2017, Radeon 580, 32 GB RAM
Speed Editor

robin0112358

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 1:51 pm

sukohonig wrote:Do you think upgrading ram to 2x 16GB will help?

Since Resolve is running these functions on the GPU, it is the graphics RAM that is the bottleneck. The Nvidia RTX 2060 (Mobile) has 6GB, yes? Somewhere in my notes I have 8GB as a recommended minimum for 4K work. (Not sure if that is strictly correct.)

Uli's advice is good. Lower your timeline resolution and set up optimised media to use one-quarter resolution (for example). Then the only issue might be the dreaded "out of memory" error when you render.

This is where the Apple systems, with their integrated memory usage, shine. An M1 with only 16GB can nonetheless allocate most of this to graphics functions if it needs to.
Robin Parmar
robinparmar.com | theatreofnoise.com | stolenmirror.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve