Davinci Resolve 17 does not allow me to multitask

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Juniorjc

Davinci Resolve 17 does not allow me to multitask

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 12:39 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new using Davinci Resolve 17 free version (2 weeks I mostly edit screenrecordings for tutorials, not 4K videos) I have a MSI GL75 Leopard 10SCSR 17.3" FHD Core i7-10750H GTX1650 Ti, 64GB RAM, 4GB NVIDIA Graphics Card, Solid Estate Hardrive with 400GB free space at the moment, so I'd like to know if it's normal That I can only use Davinci Resolve when I open the software? as any other task, internet browser, software, videoplayer, even background music just stops working, I would like to be able to open Davinci Resolve and also follow some tutorials from youtube at the same time as I'm learning, but as soon Davinci resolve is running I cannot watch or do anything else in my new laptop, I need to close davinci Resolve 17 if I want to load a website, watch a video or even send an email.

I though the software I use for my work 3D modelling (Revit, Rhino, 3D max, etc) would be the ones crashing out my high specs laptop, but ironically I can work with all of them open at the same time, running multiple 6GB+ 3D models without a hitch, unfortunatelly when I use Davinci Resolve I cannot do anything else.

I'd like to know if this normal or there is a setting where I can limit the use of the hardware that Davinci Resolve uses, so I can multitask and at least watch a youtube tutorial while running this software. I have already try most of the solutions from this forum and from the internet but nothing has worked for me. I attached the memory and GPU setting I currently have, thanks everyone for you help and really appreciated.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-01-21 113217.png
Screenshot 2022-01-21 113217.png (36.09 KiB) Viewed 457 times

Devonavar

Re: Davinci Resolve 17 does not allow me to multitask

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 1:01 am

Nope, definitely not normal. I can do all of those things with Resolve open.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would start by looking at whether Resolve is taking exclusive use of your sound card (which would make it unavailable for other programs, and all your examples seem to involve sound). The solution is probably to select "Default" or "WDM" something in Audio I/O rather than explicitly selecting your sound card hardware, which will let Windows take over mixing.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
www.thehandsthatfeedus.ca
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

Juniorjc

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 5:14 am

Thanks Devon for your reply. Unfortunately the issue persits. I paid attention to the audio from other applications like youtube or mediaplayer and the audio keeps working when I run Davinci Resolve 17, different story with the video, if there is a video playing or even a GIF running as soon as I open Davinci Resolve these frezze inmediately and the indication of running out of Graphic video memory start to appear,

I got a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti with 4GB GDDR6 graphics card

Unfortunately I was knocked back by Blackmagic when I requested support to investigate this issue, basically free software does not have support (I was told that) so I'm relying on this wonderful community to find out why this happens.

Thank you everyone. Really appreciate any help.
Attachments
2 (Small).png
2 (Small).png (494.89 KiB) Viewed 360 times
1 (Small).png
1 (Small).png (553.06 KiB) Viewed 360 times
4 (Small).png
4 (Small).png (465.04 KiB) Viewed 360 times

roger.magnusson

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 11:24 am

Might not be related to your issue, but since you have an Nvidia GPU you shouldn't have to set the Resolve GPU processing mode to OpenCL. Set it to CUDA instead.

Return to DaVinci Resolve