Adjustment Layer Issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

occasionaleditor

Adjustment Layer Issues

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 4:25 pm

Hi there, I have a music video with many clips. I have one adjustment layer over all of the clips. I'll call this my MASTER adjustment layer.

This is great for most of the video, however, there are some clips where I need another adjustment layer for a single clip here and there.

When I add a NEW adjustment layer for these small single clips here and there and I edit the color information on those NEW adjustment layers it affects the MASTER adjustment layer too! Very frustrating...

What am I missing?

There must be some setting that is active that I need to de-activate?

I am still very new with DaVinci Resolve. Can your answers please be something you would tell a 10-year-old who is using this program for the first time? Very layman's terms please :D

occasionaleditor

Re: Adjustment Layer Issues

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 5:21 pm

This is actually an issue when I make changes to individual clips. If I do an experiment and I select one clip and go into the "color" tab, and make that clip black and white it makes all the clips black and white. So it is not just an adjustment layer, it is any time I make any change to any clip or adjustment layer in the "color" tab, it applies that to everything. So if I want to make one individual clip have more saturation and contrast and I select it, bring it in to "color" and make that change - it effects all the clips.

xunile

Re: Adjustment Layer Issues

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 5:48 pm

Adjustment Clips affect all tracks underneath them, so if you add an Adjustment Clip above another one, it will affect it as well. You could always remove the first one over just the area you are adding the new one to and just do the whole correction with the one Adjustment clip.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Return to DaVinci Resolve