Disable Timeline Filter

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jmwallace

Disable Timeline Filter

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 8:58 pm

I've got multiple timelines in this project. All of them except one have no problem selecting TIMELINE (instead of CLIP) on the COLOR page. When I try to select TIMELINE (while on the COLOR page) on this one problem timeline, I get this error message...

Disable Timeline Filter
Please disable any clips filter or disable the
view menu option 'show current clip with handles'
to switch to timeline mode.

I have carefully toggled the "show current clip with handles" option multiple times. I've restarted Davinci Studio 17 (latest version) multiple times. I've created new timelines that all behave as I would expect. I've read as many closely related articles as I could find - messed with all types of "solutions" (none of which really seemed to hit this issue directly) and nothing has worked.

It has forced me to join this forum (which I should have joined a while back) and I need help.

As usual, I'm at the end of the project and now "something got switched on" and I have no idea what, and it's not letting me complete the project as all of the other videos in this series have a single "look" applied to their timelines. No problem with the others.

I'm stuck.

Thx for help.

JMW
Attachments
DisableTimelineFilter-ERROR-JMW.jpg
DisableTimelineFilter-ERROR-JMW.jpg (1000.32 KiB) Viewed 3226 times

Peter Cave

Re: Disable Timeline Filter

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 4:56 am

Can you try using the Sizing panel (bottom centre) to switch to Output Sizing? What happens? Normally it should switch to Timeline grading mode. Also check if there is a Clips menu filter set. That will also prevent switching to the Timeline grading mode.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

jmwallace

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 7:04 pm

Thank you for the reply.

I had hoped sleeping on it + suggestions = solution. Evidently not yet.

I navigated to the OUTPUT SIZING option (as suggested) and it is not selectable on the problem timeline. On the other timelines where I'm NOT getting this error msg, it selects/activates no problem. So, whatever is unhappy is tied to what you have pointed to.

I honestly am not sure as to what is meant by "Clips menu filter set." I think this is core to my inability to figure this out.

The main menu has a "Clip" option, but I'm convinced that you and others are referring to the dropdown menu when you have selected/activated the "CLIPS" button that's sandwiched between "Timeline" and "Nodes" on the top right of the screen when on the COLOR tab. I've gone thru every option on this submenu and compared things between the problem timeline and the timelines that let me add/edit a TIMELINE level color node.

What kinds of filters can be set? I have definitely not intentionally added any strange filters.

Note: There are filters in this project - both in the projects that don't have this problem AND the timeline that does have this error msg. They all have the 3D Keyer on a number of the clips in the timelines. OPEN FX ? FILTERS > RESOLVE FX ? RESOLVE FX KEY > 3D Keyer. So, in that regard, there are "filters set" on the "clips" across all of it.

I'm convinced that the multiple uses of the words "clips" and "filters" is what I'm not grasping.

Thanks to anyone (esp Peter Cave) for suggestions.

JMW

jmwallace

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 7:33 pm

News Flash

After carving out time to try some more things, I made a copy of the entire timeline and was going to start systematically deleting individual components of the project and testing after each deletion to see if I could find what might trigger the error.

Immediately I discovered that the copied timeline - even with not a single edit or deletion - does not suffer this error message when I go to add a TIMELINE level node in COLOR.

Any ideas as to what's going on with this?

For now, I'm passed the immediate functional problem, BUT.... I'm a bit concerned for my future sanity as I edit more and more (rely more and more) on Resolve.

Thanks.

JMW

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 8:06 pm

I see the Unmix icon is on in your screen shot. Show current clip with handles forces that on.

As a sanity check, are you able to toggle Unmix mode off? If not, then it really thinks you have show handles enabled.

If you can toggle Unmix off, does that allow you to select Timeline?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 10:19 pm

in the color page, top right, there is a menu called [Clips].

Go there and select [all clips]

Alternate from [clip] to [timeline] in the dotted section and see if that works.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

airbeone

Re: Disable Timeline Filter : SOLVED

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 8:49 pm

*** SOLVED ****
this is because in LIGHTBOX you're currently working in a group.
In LIGHTBOX, just select :"ALL CLIPS"
then you will access the TIMELINE node space,
and no longer this warning

I've found the solution on this forum. I was also stuck in
Airbeone

Return to DaVinci Resolve