Mini Control Panel lost connection

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rjcastaldo

Mini Control Panel lost connection

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 11:54 pm

Since I updated to 17.4.3, my Mini control panel has lost connection to my network. I was connected to the second LAN port in my windows PC through a separate router--a holdover from the Artist Color System that I had previously.

Everything was working great until the upgrade although it is hard for me to say that this is the exact cause. I can connect via USB-C; that works, however, I would prefer to connect over ethernet.

Can anyone point me to instructions for setup and configuration of a Mini Panel? I cannot find anything but the most cursory instructions, e.g. plug the cable in here.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Mini Control Panel lost connection

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 12:05 am

On the Mini panel, press the Home button, then the Network soft key.

Does the IP address on the panel match the IP address in Resolve Preferences - System - Control Panels - Color Grading Panel - DaVinci Resolve Mini Panel (Ethernet)?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

rjcastaldo

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 12:12 am

Hi Dwaine, thanks for responding. Yes, the IP address matches.

Everything works fine with the USB connection and everything used to work fine with my ethernet connection. This is what I have tried so far.:

1. USB cable out, ethernet cable in. Cat 6 direct into my 16 port router
2. DHCP off. I turned it on for USB
3. Davinci Resolve Mini Panel (Ethernet), selected Control Panel page of Preferences
4. IP Address-DaVinci Resolve Mini Panel, selected from the pull-down list.
5. When that didn't work, I typed in the IP Address under Configure Manually

Of course, I have no way of figuring the appropriate Subnet Mask or Router Gateway if that is necessary to the process.

My original setup--the one I used with my Artist Color Control and subsequently used with the Mini Panel--involved connecting to the second ethernet p[ort on my computer using a separate router and I believe crossover cables. This doesn't seem to work either anymore but if plugging directly into the main router with CAT 6 cable is not the preferred approach, I can go back and troubleshoot this setup some more.

Any ideas are welcome. I am surprised that I cannot find instructions anywhere to set up the panel properly.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 2:01 am

If the Mini Panel shows up in the Resolve Preferences - System - Control Panels - DaVinci Resolve Mini Panel (Ethernet) - drop down panel selection list, then Resolve sees it.

At that point, it could be a firewall blocking a specific port the panel needs to properly operate.

If you have a firewall enabled on the network port that the panel is connected to, you might try turning that off temporarily as a test, and see if the panel works then.

Note that if you have 2 Ethernet ports on the PC, and you are using Windows Firewall, that is independently controllable on each port. I mention this due to past issues where someone said they disabled the firewall, but they didn't disable it on the panel port.
Dwaine Maggart

DerekCooper

PostWed Jun 22, 2022 11:41 am

Hi BMD,

We have encountered the same problem here. Our Mini Panel no longer wants to connect over the Internet. The unit had been working fine.

The NICs on the panel no longer establish a connection to the switch. Over PoE we are succcessful in receiving power but the unit does not establish an IP connection to the switch. The PoE port's activity lights will flicker but not sustain a connection.

The non-PoE port will no longer attempt to establish a connection - no activity lights on the NIC when plugged in and the switch does not see the device.

We have plugged the unit into the switch directly to ensure it wasn't cabling. Tried two switches - same issue.

We performed a factory reset on the panel - no difference. Panel is running version 2.0.

We tried both DHCP and static IP - no difference.

The unit works fine over USB.

Please advise.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 22, 2022 4:40 pm

Try a Mini panel firmware recovery to see if that helps. Connect the panel to a Resolve system via USB and open the DaVinci Control Panels app on the system and then:

Mini Panel Recovery mode

To enter the recovery mode:

1. Connect the USB cable.
2. Disconnect the power cable, and any network cables connected
3. Press and hold the Home button —  Home
4. Insert the power cable while holding the Home button
5. The button will flash and the unit will be in bootloader mode allowing for forced firmware
update using the DaVinci Control Panels Setup app.

If this doesn't help, then contact your local BMD support office.
Dwaine Maggart

DerekCooper

PostWed Jun 22, 2022 8:07 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:If this doesn't help...

Made no difference - I will contact the USA support office. Thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve