Resolve Crashing Recently After Working Fine For Months

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TheSysOp

Resolve Crashing Recently After Working Fine For Months

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 2:17 am

I have been using Resolve for months with no issue. All of the sudden, it crashes when I try to play any video file in any section of Resolve.

I have tried rolling back drivers, rolling back Resolve, etc. No luck.

Hoping someone can look at the log and tell me what I can try next to get this awesome software back to working.

Thanks!

Log file on dropbox
/s/9eu7muh2khfabbk/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20220125-211136.zip?dl=0

2020 MSI GF75 Gaming Laptop
Intel Octo-core i5-10300H
Windows 10.0.19042 Build 19042
64GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1650 4GB
Davinci Resolve 17.4.1 and 17.4.3

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve Crashing Recently After Working Fine For Months

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 4:33 am

Your URL is too obfuscated for me to sort out. Please try again, with more of the URL.

We also need a Windows System Information .NFO file. Open the Windows System Information app, then select File - Save to make the .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

TheSysOp

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:44 pm

Files are on dropbox. Add that to the second part of the URL, and you will be taken to the files:

/sh/0yuxkgnjdfjr11t/AAC3RCmfxYbU4lQs6mXKxPrna?dl=0

I tried multiple ways to sneak the URL in the post, and this was what worked.

Maybe you should update the FAQ to exactly specify how you would like a new user to post the URL of their log files, since new users can't post URLs. Simply stating to put a space near the beginning was insufficient.

The FAQ also does not specify that an NFO file is needed. If this is the case, maybe that should be added to the list of things, along with how to create it.

Thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 7:11 pm

It appears that on 1-25-2022, at 20:51 and at 21:04, you launched Resolve, opened a new project, which opened on the Cut page, then selected the Media page, then back to the Cut page, and within the first minute after opening the project, Resolve did a clean exit.

When you switched to the Media page, did you select a video clip in the Media Storage area, and then it shut down? Or what exactly happened in that minute between opening a project and Resolve exiting?

Did Resolve exit on its own?

From the logs it would appear that you did the Resolve exit. But I'm guessing that's not what happened? What's odd is that I see no errors in that area.
Dwaine Maggart

brandnewvan

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 8:39 pm

Hi there,

Da Vinci Resolve isn't loading since I upgraded to Windows 11. I have tried re-installing a number of times. I tried running in in Windows 8 Compatibility mode. I tried removing various USB devices. I tried clearing out all folders from previous installations of Da Vinci files. Please help!
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20220127_120934.zip
(917.33 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 4:24 am

Open the Windows System Information app, and select File - Save.

This will create a .NFO file. Send us that file.
Dwaine Maggart

TheSysOp

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 5:15 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:It appears that on 1-25-2022, at 20:51 and at 21:04, you launched Resolve, opened a new project, which opened on the Cut page, then selected the Media page, then back to the Cut page, and within the first minute after opening the project, Resolve did a clean exit.

When you switched to the Media page, did you select a video clip in the Media Storage area, and then it shut down? Or what exactly happened in that minute between opening a project and Resolve exiting?

Did Resolve exit on its own?

From the logs it would appear that you did the Resolve exit. But I'm guessing that's not what happened? What's odd is that I see no errors in that area.

I am not sure what I did and when I did it. I have been extremely frustrated with this and have installed/re-installed apps and drivers and it still crashes.

I uploaded another log file to the same dropbox location. Now when I click on a media folder, Resolve is crashing without comment.

Before Resolve quit working this month, I had edited, successfully, over 15 videos.

I paid for Resolve 17 and I bought the Resolve speed editor. I have invested money and time into this software and it is no longer working.

I need this to go back to working again.

PLEASE help!!

brandnewvan

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 5:51 pm

Thanks, it started working after I moved the HDMI cable from the monitor to a different port. Very strange.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 10:11 pm

@Jeff: For the log you just sent today, what exactly happened? The Project Manager window appeared, and you were able to start a new project? And then what exactly did you do? You said touching a folder caused a crash. Were you on the Media page when you did that?

Note that certain types of files can crash Resolve. If there happens to be a file in the folder you touched that Resolve doesn't like, it could crash. As soon as you touch a folder, Resolve looks at all the files in the folder.

Can you touch other folders and not get a crash? If so, what files are in the folder that causes the crash?

Launch Resolve and open a new project. Don't select anything in the Media page. Select the Edit page. Open the Effects window. Drag a Color Bar generator into the timeline. Right click the generator in the timeline and select New Compound Clip, then Create. Now go to the Color page. Does the color bar clip play? If so, that points to some sort of bad file in the folder you selected on the Media page.

The way to trouble shoot that, would be to copy half the files into a new folder. If Resolve crashes when you select that new folder, copy half of those files into a new folder and see if that crashes Resolve. Keep going until the bad file is isolated.

If Resolve doesn't crash when you select the first new folder with half the files, that means the bad file is in the other half of the files. Keep copying half the files into new folders at a time, until you find that bad file(s).
Dwaine Maggart

cyberx

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 4:19 am

TheSysOp wrote:
Thanks!

My Davinci project used to crash often and gave me GPU memory full or too many timelines open.

I think it's because you don't have enough GPU memory and your project is too complicated with many layers.

My suggestion

1. Create a new project with a simple timeline, try to see whether it crash. If it doesn't , then the problem is with your project.

2. I don't view my video anymore while inside the project, I render it and then view the video with Windows media player. That way, it never crash on me. I know it's tedious but what can I do bcos I don't have a large GPU memory.

TheSysOp

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 2:46 pm

Just to be clear.

AGAIN.

Resolve was working fine and I created over 15 multi-cam videos in the last few months.
It is NOT a resource issue. I had ZERO issues and ZERO lag editing multi-cam footage (6 video files and 1 audio track), in real-time.

Now, no matter what folder I try to open on the media page, Resolve closes without the error splash screen.
When I check task manager, Resolve is still running.

My gaming laptop is not the issue.

There is some setting that has changed, obviously.

Can someone please check my settings from the files I have uploaded and address this issue I am having from that premise?

I am getting even more frustrated that blame is being assigned to areas that are not the problem.

Files are not the issue....

TheSysOp

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 3:04 pm

OK.

I just posted another log.

Here is what happened:

I managed to tweak more settings to get a multi-cam project to open.
On the editing page, the clip played perfectly, until I select multi-cam on the source. Then Resolve crashed.

Why?

PLEASE help.....

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 5:16 pm

How did you solve the problem of Resolve crashing when you selected a folder after launching Resolve?

Send a project export .drp of the FOURTH JAM DEC 30 MULTI project.
Dwaine Maggart

TheSysOp

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 12:52 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:How did you solve the problem of Resolve crashing when you selected a folder after launching Resolve?

Send a project export .drp of the FOURTH JAM DEC 30 MULTI project.

I have no idea how I got it working. I just keep reloading and changing settings.

I can't export now because that project crashes, without splash/error screen, when I try to open it.

How come nobody from Blackmagic can help me with this?
I am a paying customer and I feel like I am getting the run-around...

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 2:03 am

As a paying customer, contact support directly. This is just a user forum, where developers sometimes chime in.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 2:04 am

You can export the project from the Resolve Project Manager page. Right click the project and select Export Project.

If you are unhappy with the level of support on this free, primarily user supported forum, you can contact your local BMD office for more direct support.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve